I need some help picking out a gun for my grandpa! Please let me know what you think

This is a discussion on I need some help picking out a gun for my grandpa! Please let me know what you think within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever since I got my concealed carry permit my grandpa has been talking about getting a gun for himself.My grandpa is 74, he served as ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: I need some help picking out a gun for my grandpa! Please let me know what you think

I need some help picking out a gun for my grandpa! Please let me know what you think

Ever since I got my concealed carry permit my grandpa has been talking about getting a gun for himself.My grandpa is 74, he served as a marine for 8 years, navy for 20 and was a deputy Sheriff for 2 years. he owns his own business and is in great shape. He works 40 hours every week at his store and often carries a large amount of cash and he feels like he should carry some sort of firearm, but here's the thing, he wants to carry derringer or other small firearm. Do any of you guys carry one?

What guns could I recommend for him? He wants to be able to carry it in his pocket or on his belt in a small pouch. It's kind of an odd request considering most of you carry at least a subcompact semi auto or snub nose revolver if not something larger. Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I would take a J frame, Ruger SP101 or possibly an LCR over a single or double shot derringer any day. For a classy gentleman with taste a Colt Detective Special or Agent would be prized. All are just as easy to carry and much more versatile than a derringer.

That is exactly what I have been telling him! He deals with customers daily and I guess he thinks everyone will notice the revolver in his waistband. I am going to let him try on my Glock 19 so he can see how easy it is to conceal especially with the way he dresses. I recommended a colt 1911 because that is the gun he learned with in the marines. I'll have him look at the LCR and see what he thinks! Thank you for the reply!

How about a Kel-Tec P3AT.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I would take a J frame, Ruger SP101 or possibly an LCR over a single or double shot derringer any day. For a classy gentleman with taste a Colt Detective Special or Agent would be prized. All are just as easy to carry and much more versatile than a derringer.
    These would be my choices also but I do like the idea of a 1911 since that is a platform you say he is familiar with and they are more concealable than most people think.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    A revolver, especially one of the size I mentioned in my earlier post works perfectly in a trouser pocket. Get him a nice revo. and a pocket holster and he's good to go with a couple of speed strips in the opposite pocket for a reload.

I will second the statement on the 1911 being easily concealed due to it's slim design, with his previous experience with the weapon it should also be a top choice.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    As far as concealing, nothing beats the LCP.

If he wants a 9mm; G19/26, LC9, M&P shield, M&P9c
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Grandpa is a 74 year old man. Let him choose! My personal suggestion is a j frame. Since it probably will get carried a lot more than shot.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    I'd also recommend a revolver, but at 74 he's old enough to decide what he wants.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Try to talk him out of the Derringer...

I don't think that carrying a Derringer for self defense makes a lot of sense when so many better alternatives are available. The Derringer requires thumb cocking to use, which probably requires two hands and is slow, and only gives you 2 shots. It is also notoriously inaccurate compared to most handguns. I'd try to persuade the man to use a small .38 snubby or .380 semiauto. These can be deployed with one hand and give you 5 to 7 shots. They are also easily concealed in the pocket or on the belt under clothing. Here are a couple of suggestions:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

another vote for a j-frame. Hell be carrying it a lot
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

A 74 year-old ex-Marine, ex-sailor & ex-sherrif? Angry Badger, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but that man hasn't asked you to help because he wants to be confident in his EDC. He's asked you to help because he wants to enjoy a fun discussion & shopping adventure that he can share with his grandson. He ALREADY knows...what he wants. I'm a Grandpa, I know this stuff.
    msgt/ret and GreyGhost like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links