Any possible legal issues with carrying a Colt 1911 38 super converted to 10mm?

This is a discussion on Any possible legal issues with carrying a Colt 1911 38 super converted to 10mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Colt Commander that's been converted from 38 Super to 10mm. There are no caliber markings on the gun except for the barrel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any possible legal issues with carrying a Colt 1911 38 super converted to 10mm?

Question Any possible legal issues with carrying a Colt 1911 38 super converted to 10mm?

I have a Colt Commander that's been converted from 38 Super to 10mm. There are no caliber markings on the gun except for the barrel (it's an MKIV which at one point had no caliber markings on the slide). Barrel is a Kart which is obviously marked 10mm. Colt never factory manufactured a Commander in 10mm and wondered if this would be a legal problem if I ever had to use it to save my life or others. Any law experts out there that can tell me (I've heard many theories how lawyers can make this an issue, but is it realistically a liability?). I'm in CA (I know!).

VIP Member
    I really would not see a problem with it but a DA trying to make a name for himself might possibly try to convince a jury that you converted a firearm to an especially lethal caliber. Just curious where did you purchase the barrel, I recently bought a Delta Elite and it would be nice if I could purchase a barrel and recoil spring for 40S&W for some cheaper practice.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My gunsmith bought it. Probably chopped down a 5" down to a 4.25" to make a commander.

I don't see why it'd be a problem. Plenty of people have conversions. I never thought of it as a problem, IMO.

By the way, it's legal.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    is that a proper self defense weapon or a killing machine ?
    Thats what the lawyers will say on the other side should you use that firearm
    on a perp........Modded guns for SD are a bad idea IMO

Save your life first… Worry about the paperwork later.
    Ksgunner and msgt/ret like this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Study the Harold Fish case in Arizona...

Read the links below regarding the Harold Fish case in Arizona, which involved a 10mm gun, and make your decision:

Trail of evidence - Dateline NBC - Crime reports - Trail of Evidence | NBC News

The Defensive Handgun Blog: Reasonable Fear, Self-Defense, and Carrying 10mm Handguns
    CanuckQue and mrm like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I don't see a problem, but then again, your in CA. A slingshot with rocks over a certain diameter can be problems.
    ghost tracker likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Whoops, CALIFORNIA! Better stick with something that fires Jet-Puff mini-marshmallows. And don't hit anyone in the eye!

I don't see legal issued (Colt 1911 variants aren't marked on the slide) but am more interested in the conversion itself. Who did the work?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It's a wise thing to be worried about. The 10mm specifically can lead to this weird issue where you can come across as a Charlie Bronson wannabe, and thus face greater hurdles, legally. I like the 10mm on paper, but there're quite a few opinions on it.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Really? I don't mind ANYTHING about using 10mm factory ammo in a manufacturer spec handgun for EDC from a prosecution POV. It could be argued that I was being MORE responsible by carrying the MOST CAPABLE handgun caliber that I could conceal. For effective self-protection that choice could even be considered even...prudent. Are the anti's now beating a drum bout a 10mm being TOO effective?!? When will it end?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Since it's CA, one must ask: Did you bring the pistol into the state from some other state? If so, it is probably not on the CA approved firearms list, and that MIGHT cause you a problem.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Only a personal opinion but this is one of those firearms forums "dithering threads."

Let's see how this one shakes out.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I suspect there could be a problem with any firearm used in a defensive situation. I have a BARSTO 40 cal barrel for my Delta Elite and would use it in a defensive situation if I had to. Anything that can be drug out and used against you is likely to be drug out and used to justiy why you should have let some dirt bag murder your entire family rather than protect them.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Would you question 44 mag for SD? It sure as heck beats 10mm in bullet weight, velocity and muzzle energy.

A bullet is a bullet when it comes to SD. It's either justified or it's not. If its questionable, having a mustache hiding your upper lip might get you prosecuted.

Don't sweat it. People are getting fatter everyday. 10mm isn't just for bears anymore.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links