Sig P238 for EDC

This is a discussion on Sig P238 for EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I originally got this as a gun to get my wife into shooting and eventually carrying. I may be buying another one though, I don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P238 for EDC

Sig P238 for EDC

I originally got this as a gun to get my wife into shooting and eventually carrying.

I may be buying another one though, I don't think I will be giving it up.

Only problem seems to be failure to feed if the magazine is full of anything but round nose ball. I shot about 100 wad cutters through it and it seems to be getting better, but I am a little leery of using it as EDC until this is 100% gone.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. Remove Ads

I have one, the Equinox version. It has over 400 rounds of ball and HydraShoks through it. No malfunctions. Where are you getting .380 wad cutters? Never heard of any unless you hand loaded them.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

Sorry - meant flatter nose ball. Admittedly, I am no ammo expert. ;) I think they are all gone, let me check my closet gun bag and I will let you know what they are.

I just bought a P238 Blackwood for my EDC. I'm lovin it and have had only one malfunction and that was a stovepipe in the first 100 rounds. I'm gonna chalk that up to a stiff recoil spring. Otherwise I carry a SP101 357.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

I think I attached the pics on this post.
    Attached Images

I noticed that as the day went on, I was able to load more rounds in the magazine and feed with fewer problems. I tank as the feed ramp gets worn In it will go away.

The flat nose of this ammo and JHP "hangs" on the feed amp.

mkh
    Flat nose bullets are often hard to feed properly in any auto. Switch ammo and don't worry about it. If hp or round nosed fmj have problems feeding then you can worry

Those flat nose rounds could certainly be an issue. The smaller guns are a little more sensitive to ammo. I would try some round nose and then a SD round that has a rounder profile. I have Hornady critical defense and Speer gold dot for mine but havent run either yet. Having said that the Hornady round looks to have a smoother profile than the Speer. I would keep the flat nose for when your shoot can/bottle stuff like that, the blunt nose would do a little better.

Also, how many rounds do you have total through your P238?

I uploading a pic, give me a minute.

Sorry it took so long. Problems with my phone.
    95gr round nose on left, Hornady Critical Defense 90gr in middle, Speer Gold Dot 90gr on right. And yes that is a Hornandy Zombie round which is actually Critical Defense and in this case $2 bucks per box cheaper.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    We have fired hundreds of rounds through my wife's P238 without a single malfunction...both FMJ and hornaday defense rounds.

No problems here...

I just bought a Sig P238 and have put 100 rounds through it so far with no feeding problems. These were a mix of FMJ and hollowpoint. My only objection to the gun is the somewhat heavy 8 pound trigger. I wish it were more in the 5 pound range like most 1911s. This heavy trigger pull makes it a little difficult to hold the gun steady while firing. But the gun is very well made and easy to conceal.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have about 150 rounds through it. Going to increase that tomorrow to around 250-300

Quote Originally Posted by MacNobody View Post
    I have about 150 rounds through it. Going to increase that tomorrow to around 250-300
    Yeah, some P238's just seem to need more break-in than others. I've got one that was like yours. The 150-300 round phase was a little painful for me and my P238. What cleaning and lube product are you using? I did find that using an all-in-one product like Gunzilla or Breakfree CLP was not giving it enough lubrication that I think the Sigs usually like. After switching to a separate cleaning solvent and lube (I use Hoppes No.9 solvent and Slip 2000 Gun Lube), I've had zero issues with the P238.

Definitely sounds like yours needs a more rounds through her, fill us in with a range report if you can! Good luck!

Hoppes No. 9 and military grade CLP.

I will switch and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links