Why Glock? - Page 2

Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AWMP I have been thinking about getting a Glock 19 but with some many issues with Gen 3 and IVs I'm might ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by AWMP View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a Glock 19 but with some many issues with Gen 3 and IVs I'm might wait a little longer.
    I don't recall hearing about any issues with the Gen 3 Glock 19s, but lots on the Gen 4. I've put at least 3000 rounds through my Austrian-made Gen 3 and its still an accurate and amazingly dependable gun for the $. The only gun I would likely put up against in the "value for money" debate is the CZ P-01. I love Sigs and HKs too, but then we are talking completely different animals.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

GLOCK doesn't add tacti-cool monikers to their pistols. (Ultra, Pro, Tactical, Elite, Super, etc) GLOCK makes basically 1 pistol in different calibers and sizes, they do it better than anyone, for an affordable price, they're simple, duarable, and very reliable.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    GLOCK doesn't add tacti-cool monikers to their pistols. (Ultra, Pro, Tactical, Elite, Super, etc) GLOCK makes basically 1 pistol in different calibers and sizes, they do it better than anyone, for an affordable price, they're simple, duarable, and very reliable.
    This is it right here.
    Plus...parts are readily available and reasonable.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

My number one complaint about Glocks. The way they name the different models.
    Example G22, G23 and G27.
    I would prefer G40, G40 Compact, G40 Sub Compact. Tell me it doesn't make more sense.
    sioux565 and NWA_Dawg like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I was dead set on getting a glock 19, but I rented a Walther ppq and was pretty impressed. I probably will go with the Glock because I just feel I need to own 1 Glock 19, and for all the after market parts. But I may end up with both eventually

Simple, durable, reliable, has been said. Spare parts are everywhere, even factory spare parts. You can gut the thing in minutes with a small punch. Everything is easily replacable. Everyone and their dog make sights and holsters, etc., for Glocks. There are a lot of great guns on the market today but Glock IMO, is the most hassle free platform out there.

Why Glock?

I have a Glock 19. Its easy to shoot. Has never failed to fire or eject. I dont clean it as often as i should but still no problems and it didnt set me back too much $$. I love 1911's. One day a Wilson Combat CQB will be part of my arsenal. But for now the Glock suits my budget and purposes.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Gun for gun off of the production line they are about the most reliable, functionally non-problematic (out of the box) "cookie cutter" firearm out there that can be had for a very affordable price by much of the world population.

That is my opinion and I am not a GLOCK guy but, I have worked on enough firearms to insure that my own personal choice of a carry firearm is as reliable as a GLOCK.

The GLOCK is a fantastic firearm choice if you are wanting a decent guarantee that you own a firearm that you can pop right out of the box...load up magazines and be confident that it will operate as intended without a hitch.

For a majority of folks that is all they want, need, and desire.

For me personally I want a bit more in the ergonomics department with a different style of trigger and so the GLOCK is not my first choice for a carry firearm.

BUT, the fact remains that they are great, legendary, firearms with regard to continious functional reliability with very little maintenance required. There is no doubt about that & they have a very proved track record and they are an incredibly popular firearm for those reasons.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Not only is the price reasonable, but they are simple and easy to use.

And that reason is??? Glock went in the early 90's and practically gave dept's their weps and bought their old ones, who wouldn't take free weps? Are Glocks that much better than everything else? Not in this guys opinion, I've owned and carried Glocks for a loooong time. You know how many I own now? 0, zip, why you ask? Simple, I finally found the handgun that was designed for my hand, Glocks are very uncomfy for my hand, I don't like the grip angle at all. I'm no hater but I can recognize a better gun when I find it, some are too blind to do so. If you like em run with em, I don't so I'll be carrying my SIGP229 40, I've had Glock 40's in the past on/off the job and I hated them, the 229 makes the 40 a comfy rd to fire and carry. You couldn't give me a Glock 40. Glock is not the end all be all handgun that it is made out to be by so many, it's just another choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Why not Glock?

There is a reason many law enforcement agencies use Glock's. Reliability and simplicity come to mind. My old man's duty gun was a G22 which served him well for 10 years on the job and he still carries it today for personal protection. Not once did he ever have any issues with it. That is the big reason why I got one and it will not be my last.

In the end, you either love them or hate them.
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chopsterholic View Post
    As I go through the threads it seems like ever other post is about Glock. Every post seems to be about being torn between a Glock and something else or someone talks about how many differnt models of Glock they own. Why? Now I'm not hating on the gun at all. I've even shot a G19 before but it wasn't a really memorable experience or it didn't make me decide right then and there that I had to have one. I just want to get other's perspective and opinion on the topic.

Why Glock???

It's a good weapon with an even better marketing strategy.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Thanks for all the input guys. It's helpful and informative. Maybe I've just not had enough experience with Glocks yet. I know I will defintely shoot more and maybe even own one. I just like reading what other's have to say!

VIP Member
    Ah yes Glock

Some people swear by them, they don't fit my hand and I do not have any.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by nframe357 View Post
    And that reason is??? Glock went in the early 90's and practically gave dept's their weps and bought their old ones, who wouldn't take free weps? Are Glocks that much better than everything else? Not in this guys opinion, I've owned and carried Glocks for a loooong time. You know how many I own now? 0, zip, why you ask? Simple, I finally found the handgun that was designed for my hand, Glocks are very uncomfy for my hand, I don't like the grip angle at all. I'm no hater but I can recognize a better gun when I find it, some are too blind to do so. If you like em run with em, I don't so I'll be carrying my SIGP229 40, I've had Glock 40's in the past on/off the job and I hated them, the 229 makes the 40 a comfy rd to fire and carry. You couldn't give me a Glock 40. Glock is not the end all be all handgun that it is made out to be by so many, it's just another choice.
    So just because the Glock you had didn't fit your hand well, you claim it is a lesser gun? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I rented many compact/sub compact .40 caliber pistols before I purchased my G27. The G27 was the best gun available that fit my needs. Everyone has different criteria when it comes to choosing a firearm. That is why there are hundreds, if not thousands of options available to us. Like I said in my earlier post, you either love them or hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Why not Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    This is actually just a front for GlockTalk

Aphdmansoc likes this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links