Why Glock? - Page 3

Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a market with many right answers, Glock is one. If a given person prefers Glock over other reliable platforms (of which there are many), ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

In a market with many right answers, Glock is one. If a given person prefers Glock over other reliable platforms (of which there are many), then Glock is the right answer for that individual.

It is worth saying that Glock is not the only reliable platform at that price point.
    Eric357 likes this.

A long-standing reputation for dead nuts reliability, out of the box. A strong service record in the field. Same manual of arms across all of the calibers, sizes. A wide variety of calibers, sizes. Durable in adverse conditions. Countless millions sold around the world. Very good support in the aftermarket, in terms of gun smithing, service, parts and add-ons (ie, holsters). Price competitive with many alternatives.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    So just because the Glock you had didn't fit your hand well, you claim it is a lesser gun? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I rented many compact/sub compact .40 caliber pistols before I purchased my G27. The G27 was the best gun available that fit my needs. Everyone has different criteria when it comes to choosing a firearm. That is why there are hundreds, if not thousands of options available to us. Like I said in my earlier post, you either love them or hate them.
    My, my we are really guzzling the koolaid aren't we, I never said they were "lesser" einstein, now did I, all I said was they are not the end all be all like geniuses like you think they are,period. Just cause daddy likes his doesn't mean you can't make up your own mind, calm down, geez.
    wdbailey and Eric357 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    So just because the Glock you had didn't fit your hand well, you claim it is a lesser gun? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I rented many compact/sub compact .40 caliber pistols before I purchased my G27. The G27 was the best gun available that fit my needs. Everyone has different criteria when it comes to choosing a firearm. That is why there are hundreds, if not thousands of options available to us. Like I said in my earlier post, you either love them or hate them.
    Glock ergonomics were flawed for Nframe357 so he found a handgun that better suits him. Sioux565 considers the Glock to be the best gun available to fit his needs. Each holds conflicting opinions based on his perception of the Glock design. One implies that it's a lesser gun and one states that it was the best gun.

It does make a lot of sense actually.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Not much else I can say...proven reliability, price, reputation.

Re: Why Glock?

I don't think its Glocks that people hate...er, dislike. I think its the rabid fans. Most are just fine, and can respect other peoples choices. Some, make ill-informed generalizations about anything other than a Glock to claim they are, without question, the best. Perhaps it is...for them. I don't own one...but I'm not against them either.

The crap about, the most reliable firearm because they are used by more LEO than anything else has been addressed: they offer them at a great price. Some larger departments even have Glock armorers assigned to them. But, I've seen just as many Smiths, Sigs, 1911s, and even a few XDs holstered for duty use to convince me that the arguement doesn't hold a lot of merit. What about those that are issued to military: Baretta or Colt? I know that some get Glocks, so don't go there. But, the aforementioned also get thier time.

Oh, and simple to use? Really? Weak arguement at best. I've shot various handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I wasn't baffled by the use of any one of them.

Again, don't get me wrong, one day I hope to have a Glock 21 and respect Glocks for what they are. But, don't bad mouth other brands to somehow prove their superiority. All that does is place you in a category - Glock fanboy. Then your argument carries no weight whatsoever.

Let people choose what THEY like without opening your trap. We 2A'ers need to spend a little more time celebrating and defending our similarities rather than wasting our energy on such mundane differences.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    msgt/ret and multistage like this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Been shooting pistols for 40 years. Recently bought my first Glock, a G34 Gen4. I use it for IDPA, and I did some minor trigger polishing. This thing just flat works flawlessly. Strips down for cleaning in about two seconds, and goes back together just as fast. Very simple design. No external 'safeties' to fiddle with. Very accurate.

I'm definitely becoming a Glock fanboy. My next pistol will likely be another Glock for EDC.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Ah yes Glock

Some people swear by them, they don't fit my hand and I do not have any.
    Playing the Devil's Advocate here and saying maybe your hand doesn't fit them!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Another thing to add about the Glock. When someone asks me what they should get for SD and I don't have time to ask questions, my default is a 19. When someone asks me how to get started in USPSA and I don't have time to ask questions, my default is 34/17. If any of the above are purchased at a decent price, you can play a while and if you decide it's not for you, sell, and not lose much. Some of the other platforms may not be so friendly.

Hah OldVet! Not only does my hand not fit them but I have this rare "mental allergy" to plastic handguns. Aluminum alloy ones too, for that matter. It's just a disability I have that doesn't affect most folks. I'm thinking about applying for SSI.
    OldVet likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm not a fanboy but Glocks definitely have a reputation for a reason. As others have said, one of the most reliable, affordable, out of the box handguns you can buy. I have other handguns that I prefer to shoot, as their ergonomics fit my hand better, but my duty weapon is a G21 and I have no problem carrying it, on and off duty. I haven't bought a personal Glock but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if I found a good deal on a G19.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

For many years, up until about 2006, Glock offered an amazing (perhaps even the best) value for out of the box quality and dependability. Now, the new Gen 3 and Gen 4 models have been plagued by various issues with ejection and brass-to-face problems being most predominant. It looks like Glock is getting closer to a fix for these issues as more and more positive feedback can be found but I still personally would not buy a new Glock.

if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

NY27 and DOTFW like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I choose Glock because of the 5 I have owned (G19, G26, G23, G26, G19) is the only semi automatic handgun I have ever owned that has not failed. Ever. Not once. None of the 5 guns have EVER failed. No FTE's. No stove pipes. No light Strikes. With WWB, reloads, Remington, ANY ammo. Now... Anyone on this forum that knows me will tell you I can take the most well engineered, best functioning, most reliable firearm and by simply putting it in my hands I can turn it into a worthless pile of non functioning plastic and metal. I have never had a Glock fail. Of the 20 or so handguns I have owned, 75 percent of them have failed. Most of them catastrophically. But Glock? 100 percent success rate. Why Glock? Because Rollo can't break them. That's why.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I choose Glock because of the 5 I have owned (G19, G26, G23, G26, G19) is the only semi automatic handgun I have ever owned that has not failed. Ever. Not once. None of the 5 guns have EVER failed. No FTE's. No stove pipes. No light Strikes. With WWB, reloads, Remington, ANY ammo. Now... Anyone on this forum that knows me will tell you I can take the most well engineered, best functioning, most reliable firearm and by simply putting it in my hands I can turn it into a worthless pile of non functioning plastic and metal. I have never had a Glock fail. Of the 20 or so handguns I have owned, 75 percent of them have failed. Most of them catastrophically. But Glock? 100 percent success rate. Why Glock? Because Rollo can't break them. That's why.
    If Rollo can't break it nobody can!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links