Why Glock? - Page 5

Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rich...Those pics are "SIC" Amazing assortment of guns, blades, timepieces and rides....AWESOME pics..Nice job...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

Rich...Those pics are "SIC" Amazing assortment of guns, blades, timepieces and rides....AWESOME pics..Nice job
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

I'am glad this thread was started because I have decided to add another gun to the stable and a Glock is at the top of the list because I have never owned one. The only problem is what caliber 9mm or.40 S&W and what barrel length. My two favorites are the 17 and 22 just have to decide which one.

Don't forget to look at the 23...Fine shooter and easy to conceal for an edc !!!!!
    sioux565 and .XX like this.
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

I have a lot nicer guns than my Glocks. Nicer is subjective. I don't have any guns that are as lightweight for the size and capacity. So I switched to carrying Glock and it hasn't bothered me a bit. Also - it's nice not having a safety. My wife is not a "gun person" and she likes that you just keep your finger off the trigger, or shoot it. I guess I like that too - although I never had a problem taking the safety off on my 1911 either.

Austin

I've had GLOCK pistols issued as a primary duty weapon, and actually purchased and carried two at a time, the 22 & 27 (.40 S&W) while working on the southwest border. As many have said, they are simple, reliable, and accurate. Are they ugly? You bet. But if you want a pistol that goes "bang" every time you pull the trigger, the GLOCK is your pistol. What I like about them, is the ability to use the larger model's magazines in the smaller gun. The Georgia State Patrol, and probably other agencies were issued the 27 & 22 for that reason. Should a bad guy succeed in wrestling the gun from you, you could draw the smaller gun from a pocket, belt pouch or ankle holster, and use the large magazines on your belt to feed it to stay in the fight. I always carried the model 22 in a strong side hip holster (speed scabbard by Desantis), with two spare mags on the left hip, and the model 27 in an ankle holster. Didn't bother with spare mags for the 27 for this reason. Regrettably I sold the model 27 some years back, but still own the model 22, and still shoot it occasionally. Be safe.
    skew12 likes this.

As per my brothers request, I checked out Glocks when I was shopping for a 45. Tried 2 different models. Out of all the different 45's I tried, they were the worse for groupings. As an example, I shot a springfield 1911 for a 5 inch group at home defense range. Both Glocks were close to 2 feet groups...... I thought what's wrong.... went back to the 1911, and had a nice 5 inch group. Both Glocks were crossed off my list.

I attended an event last summer that included friendly shooting competition. A friend had a Glock chambered for the 40, had a double stack magazine... Held 17 rounds, I think it was. Target were bowling pins. we were all having fun, and I asked if I could shoot clean up after he was done. There were 9 bowling pins standing. with 17 rounds he had only knocked down 1 pin. I took my New Ruger P345 holding 8 rounds, and knocked down 8 pins. He wasn't too happy. I observed him shooting other equipment, and he is a good shot.

Another friend had a Glock chambered for the 9MM. He actually shot an awesome group with the thing. I was impressed.

But if you can't hit the broad side of a barn door with a Glock, what good is it, even if it goes "Bang" every time. Ain't no good if you can't hit the target with it.

Since then...... I have learned that one either loves, or hates, the Glocks. It's one or the other.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Well.......maybe not.

I don't love them. But since I own a few, can't say I hate them, either. They are no different to me than my tools for work. I dish out a pounding, and my Glocks (and Snap Ons) keep taking it. They are not perfect, but they are plenty good enough.

There was about a decade and a half in this country when you couldn't throw a stick without it landing on a Volkswagen Beetle. There was nothing about them that was "best" or "worst" and there was plenty about them to "like" or "dislike". They seemed to run forever and could be fixed for peanuts when something broke. They represented a good value and got the job done for a ******* lot of people. Sales must have been literally in the millions. The Glock situation reminds me a lot of those Volkswagens.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    As per my brothers request, I checked out Glocks when I was shopping for a 45. Tried 2 different models. Out of all the different 45's I tried, they were the worse for groupings. As an example, I shot a springfield 1911 for a 5 inch group at home defense range. Both Glocks were close to 2 feet groups...... I thought what's wrong.... went back to the 1911, and had a nice 5 inch group. Both Glocks were crossed off my list.

I attended an event last summer that included friendly shooting competition. A friend had a Glock chambered for the 40, had a double stack magazine... Held 17 rounds, I think it was. Target were bowling pins. we were all having fun, and I asked if I could shoot clean up after he was done. There were 9 bowling pins standing. with 17 rounds he had only knocked down 1 pin. I took my New Ruger P345 holding 8 rounds, and knocked down 8 pins. He wasn't too happy. I observed him shooting other equipment, and he is a good shot.

Another friend had a Glock chambered for the 9MM. He actually shot an awesome group with the thing. I was impressed.

But if you can't hit the broad side of a barn door with a Glock, what good is it, even if it goes "Bang" every time. Ain't no good if you can't hit the target with it.

Since then...... I have learned that one either loves, or hates, the Glocks. It's one or the other.
    2' groups at HD range?Not the pistols fault!

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Having a Glock in front of you is akin to having a well built unclothed woman....she may not be the best looking thing around but you just feel the need to fondle her........
    chopsterholic likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I guess I've been a little hard on Glock seeing as though I've been forming my opinions based on the multitude of complaints I've seen on the internet regarding ejector and BTF issues. I picked up a new Gen 3 19 last night...I'll put it through its paces and see if I run into those same issues. test fire date 8/15/12.
    Attached Images

Much like stereotypes, universal praise doesn't just appear out of thin air. There has to be a certain amount of evidence for a large section of the population to come to a general aggreement on anything. I don't own a Glock, personally, but I very much believe they are the reliable workhorses that so many civis and LEOs claim them to be.

I got my first glock (19 gen 4) about 5 months ago. No failures whatsoever. It is my favorite right along with my S&W Shield. My son bought his FIRST handgun a month ago. I let him decide on his own becuase I think it is somewhat of a personal choice. After shooting many different manufactures and models at the range, he liked the glock 19 so much, he bought one for himself. I believe it was a great choice for his first.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Why Glock?

Because daddy likes his!

sorry but I couldn't resist.....

I own several pistols, but if I was limited to just one, it would be my G23. It is that good a gun.

Links