Why Glock? - Page 6

Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i bought my 23 for reliability, price, and because i could buy conversion barrels for .357 and 9mm. swiss army knife factor....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

i bought my 23 for reliability, price, and because i could buy conversion barrels for .357 and 9mm. swiss army knife factor.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    My number one complaint about Glocks. The way they name the different models.
    Example G22, G23 and G27.
    I would prefer G40, G40 Compact, G40 Sub Compact. Tell me it doesn't make more sense.
    then you must hate Smith & Wesson revolvers.....442, 642, 637, 15, 10, 19, 27, 66, 686. Now that will make you crazy.
    Danoh likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    I don't think its Glocks that people hate...er, dislike. I think its the rabid fans. Most are just fine, and can respect other peoples choices. Some, make ill-informed generalizations about anything other than a Glock to claim they are, without question, the best. Perhaps it is...for them. I don't own one...but I'm not against them either.

The crap about, the most reliable firearm because they are used by more LEO than anything else has been addressed: they offer them at a great price. Some larger departments even have Glock armorers assigned to them. But, I've seen just as many Smiths, Sigs, 1911s, and even a few XDs holstered for duty use to convince me that the arguement doesn't hold a lot of merit. What about those that are issued to military: Baretta or Colt? I know that some get Glocks, so don't go there. But, the aforementioned also get thier time.

Oh, and simple to use? Really? Weak arguement at best. I've shot various handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I wasn't baffled by the use of any one of them.

Again, don't get me wrong, one day I hope to have a Glock 21 and respect Glocks for what they are. But, don't bad mouth other brands to somehow prove their superiority. All that does is place you in a category - Glock fanboy. Then your argument carries no weight whatsoever.

Let people choose what THEY like without opening your trap. We 2A'ers need to spend a little more time celebrating and defending our similarities rather than wasting our energy on such mundane differences.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    there is a big difference between a "fanboy" and someone that passes on their actual experience over thousands of flawless rounds. A Fan boy is someone tha buys a gun and then touts to the world that his gun is best without the experience to back it up. When your brand of gun in any configuration or caliber has been flawless over a twenty year period, that is something I would like to pass along to the pistolero
    newbies of the world looking for a good carry gun. My experience with any Glock I touch has been just as they advertise: Perfection. Are there other pistols that are as reliable? I'll let you know in twenty years after I put a few more rounds down range from some of the new kids on the block. Until then, I will voice my opinions as a "Veteran Glock Fanboy" with the perfect round count to back it up.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Why Glock?
    Because you need to conform.... I choose not to that's why I say Ruger!

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    2' groups at HD range?Not the pistols fault!
    All I know, Is that I shot several pistols chambered for the 45. All but 2 were immediately usable for HD range. Point and Shoot. Not the pistols fault? Right. ok, whatever. I got back into shooting after a long absense. If I have to "learn" how to shoot a pistol..... accurately. Then there are issues there.

Look I already admitted that I saw a guy shoot fantastic with a Glock chambered for the 9. I saw another guy that could only hit ONE bowling pin, with 17 rounds or so in his Glock chambered for the 40. I cleaned up 8 for 8 with my Ruger P345.

The fact that there are love/hate thing going on about the Glocks, indicates that there are issues there. It seems that you either love them or hate them. Just because they go bang every time, is not the reason to strap one on for EDC. You gotta be able to hit what you are aiming at. I tried them, and found them unacceptable. I'll say the same thing thats been repeated over and over in this threads. Buy a gun that you are confortable with, and can shoot accurately. I tried several guns.... begged, borrowed, or rented, before I bought the gun I'm comfortable with. Its the ONLY way to go.

Every human being being different, it stands to reason that some people will shoot different guns well. For the ones of us that do well with Glocks, we like them, alot, because they are reasonably priced, rugged, reliable and accurate. Now, even though I really like Glocks (although I don't believe I am yet at the "fanboy" level), I never bad talk other people's choices of sidearm. If you find one you really like and you shoot it well and it's reliable, I say enjoy it in good health.

I want my gun to match my truck. Ugly and reliable.
    I like big Glocks, but I preferred the XD for my EDC which is subcompact size. Whatever floats your boat. I need a few more guns and Glocks are definitely on the list.
    I like to drool over pretty guns, but owning anything "fancy looking" really isn't my style. I want to be able to work it hard day in and day out and not worry about pretty. Glock fits the bill.
    Why not? LoL
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    All I know, Is that I shot several pistols chambered for the 45. All but 2 were immediately usable for HD range. Point and Shoot. Not the pistols fault? Right. ok, whatever. I got back into shooting after a long absense. If I have to "learn" how to shoot a pistol..... accurately. Then there are issues there.

Look I already admitted that I saw a guy shoot fantastic with a Glock chambered for the 9. I saw another guy that could only hit ONE bowling pin, with 17 rounds or so in his Glock chambered for the 40. I cleaned up 8 for 8 with my Ruger P345.

The fact that there are love/hate thing going on about the Glocks, indicates that there are issues there. It seems that you either love them or hate them. Just because they go bang every time, is not the reason to strap one on for EDC. You gotta be able to hit what you are aiming at. I tried them, and found them unacceptable. I'll say the same thing thats been repeated over and over in this threads. Buy a gun that you are confortable with, and can shoot accurately. I tried several guns.... begged, borrowed, or rented, before I bought the gun I'm comfortable with. Its the ONLY way to go.
    Ok, then what about the thousands of people that can pick one up and shoot a 2 inch group at HD range? Not the pistols fault. Sorry dude. I have to adjust to shooting ANY new pistol. Having to do so doesn't mean that there are issues with the pistol. Don't get me wrong. There are people out there like Tangle that could pick up a super soaker loaded with crayons and shoot a 1 inch group at 50 yards but I don't think most of us fall into that category. There are any number of guns that I do not shoot well. FNP's come to mind. I have shot the 9's and the 45's and I just don't shoot them well. They are great guns. They just aren't a good fit for me. Sounds like Glock's aren't a good fit for you. That doesn't mean there is any thing wrong with Glock. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. It just means that perhaps your more comfortable with a different size and brand and cut of jeans. I like Old Navy Loose fit 33x32 (I buy them a size large in the waste to accomdate my pistol). Maybe Levi's 501 34x33's are a better fit for you. But my Old Navy jeans aren't bad because Levi's fit you better.
    Eric357 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Ok, then what about the thousands of people that can pick one up and shoot a 2 inch group at HD range? Not the pistols fault. Sorry dude. I have to adjust to shooting ANY new pistol. Having to do so doesn't mean that there are issues with the pistol. Don't get me wrong. There are people out there like Tangle that could pick up a super soaker loaded with crayons and shoot a 1 inch group at 50 yards but I don't think most of us fall into that category. There are any number of guns that I do not shoot well. FNP's come to mind. I have shot the 9's and the 45's and I just don't shoot them well. They are great guns. They just aren't a good fit for me. Sounds like Glock's aren't a good fit for you. That doesn't mean there is any thing wrong with Glock. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. It just means that perhaps your more comfortable with a different size and brand and cut of jeans. I like Old Navy Loose fit 33x32 (I buy them a size large in the waste to accomdate my pistol). Maybe Levi's 501 34x33's are a better fit for you. But my Old Navy jeans aren't bad because Levi's fit you better.
    I don't disagree with you at all. I guess my point was....... If I found a gun that I could shoot accurately at HD range, almost right out of the box, as opposed to subjecting myself to train with a gun to get acceptable accuracy after firing hundreds of rounds before it was suitable to me for HD?

I used to wear Hagars at work, with their nice large pockets. But they were getting tore up bad. Now we wear Dickies. Those thing take a beating without a mark. I can still carry my piece in my pocket and remain out of sight. There was an adjustment period there as well.

2" groups? Thousands?? OK. What do you consider HD range? I thought HD range is from 0 to 25'?

Otherwise we both are saying the same thing, just different in how we are getting the same message across. I'll concede your point that it's not the gun's fault, for the reasons that you posted.

If my only experience with a Glock was shooting 2 foot groups from 0-25 feet, I wouldn't own one either.

No gun should be shooting 2 foot groups at 25 feet. If it is - there is something terribly wrong with either the gun or the shooter or both. Maybe .40 loaded in a .45 magazine? I can't imagine that kind of accuracy from a factory gun. That's just scary.

Austin
    Eric357 likes this.

VIP Member
    My only Glock is a single shot.

IMG_0714.JPG
    sioux565, Rollo and OD* like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I like the Glock because it is now the standard, in my opinion, against which all other pistols are being measured. It is lightweight, reliable, easy to fix, and very customizable, as well as there exists parts everywhere.

Why Glock?

Easy answer: Because they work. Glock is simply one of the best made, best performing and most dependable platforms in the world, at any price (and their price ain't bad for what you get). It is no coincidence that they hold the majority of the U.S. LE market and are so popular with shooters around the globe.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

"What's popular isn't always right. What's right isn't always popular. "
    --Howard Cosell
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Glock is one of MANY fine firearms out there. I have a 27 and a 23, love them, BUT my primary carry is a M&P40c.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links