Why Glock? - Page 6

Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i bought my 23 for reliability, price, and because i could buy conversion barrels for .357 and 9mm. swiss army knife factor....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 134
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

  1. #76
    Senior Member Array Fausty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    oshkosh wisconsin
    Posts
    959
    i bought my 23 for reliability, price, and because i could buy conversion barrels for .357 and 9mm. swiss army knife factor.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

    Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.


  2. #77
    VIP Member Array zonker1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    My number one complaint about Glocks. The way they name the different models.
    Example G22, G23 and G27.
    I would prefer G40, G40 Compact, G40 Sub Compact. Tell me it doesn't make more sense.
    then you must hate Smith & Wesson revolvers.....442, 642, 637, 15, 10, 19, 27, 66, 686. Now that will make you crazy.
    Danoh likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

  3. #78
    VIP Member Array zonker1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    I don't think its Glocks that people hate...er, dislike. I think its the rabid fans. Most are just fine, and can respect other peoples choices. Some, make ill-informed generalizations about anything other than a Glock to claim they are, without question, the best. Perhaps it is...for them. I don't own one...but I'm not against them either.

    The crap about, the most reliable firearm because they are used by more LEO than anything else has been addressed: they offer them at a great price. Some larger departments even have Glock armorers assigned to them. But, I've seen just as many Smiths, Sigs, 1911s, and even a few XDs holstered for duty use to convince me that the arguement doesn't hold a lot of merit. What about those that are issued to military: Baretta or Colt? I know that some get Glocks, so don't go there. But, the aforementioned also get thier time.

    Oh, and simple to use? Really? Weak arguement at best. I've shot various handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I wasn't baffled by the use of any one of them.

    Again, don't get me wrong, one day I hope to have a Glock 21 and respect Glocks for what they are. But, don't bad mouth other brands to somehow prove their superiority. All that does is place you in a category - Glock fanboy. Then your argument carries no weight whatsoever.

    Let people choose what THEY like without opening your trap. We 2A'ers need to spend a little more time celebrating and defending our similarities rather than wasting our energy on such mundane differences.

    Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    there is a big difference between a "fanboy" and someone that passes on their actual experience over thousands of flawless rounds. A Fan boy is someone tha buys a gun and then touts to the world that his gun is best without the experience to back it up. When your brand of gun in any configuration or caliber has been flawless over a twenty year period, that is something I would like to pass along to the pistolero
    newbies of the world looking for a good carry gun. My experience with any Glock I touch has been just as they advertise: Perfection. Are there other pistols that are as reliable? I'll let you know in twenty years after I put a few more rounds down range from some of the new kids on the block. Until then, I will voice my opinions as a "Veteran Glock Fanboy" with the perfect round count to back it up.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

  4. #79
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,062
    Why Glock?
    Because you need to conform.... I choose not to that's why I say Ruger!

  5. #80
    Member Array Danoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wet Washington State
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    2' groups at HD range?Not the pistols fault!
    All I know, Is that I shot several pistols chambered for the 45. All but 2 were immediately usable for HD range. Point and Shoot. Not the pistols fault? Right. ok, whatever. I got back into shooting after a long absense. If I have to "learn" how to shoot a pistol..... accurately. Then there are issues there.

    Look I already admitted that I saw a guy shoot fantastic with a Glock chambered for the 9. I saw another guy that could only hit ONE bowling pin, with 17 rounds or so in his Glock chambered for the 40. I cleaned up 8 for 8 with my Ruger P345.

    The fact that there are love/hate thing going on about the Glocks, indicates that there are issues there. It seems that you either love them or hate them. Just because they go bang every time, is not the reason to strap one on for EDC. You gotta be able to hit what you are aiming at. I tried them, and found them unacceptable. I'll say the same thing thats been repeated over and over in this threads. Buy a gun that you are confortable with, and can shoot accurately. I tried several guns.... begged, borrowed, or rented, before I bought the gun I'm comfortable with. Its the ONLY way to go.

  6. #81
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    Every human being being different, it stands to reason that some people will shoot different guns well. For the ones of us that do well with Glocks, we like them, alot, because they are reasonably priced, rugged, reliable and accurate. Now, even though I really like Glocks (although I don't believe I am yet at the "fanboy" level), I never bad talk other people's choices of sidearm. If you find one you really like and you shoot it well and it's reliable, I say enjoy it in good health.

  7. #82
    Senior Member Array Tala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    716
    I want my gun to match my truck. Ugly and reliable.
    I like big Glocks, but I preferred the XD for my EDC which is subcompact size. Whatever floats your boat. I need a few more guns and Glocks are definitely on the list.
    I like to drool over pretty guns, but owning anything "fancy looking" really isn't my style. I want to be able to work it hard day in and day out and not worry about pretty. Glock fits the bill.
    Why not? LoL
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

  8. #83
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    All I know, Is that I shot several pistols chambered for the 45. All but 2 were immediately usable for HD range. Point and Shoot. Not the pistols fault? Right. ok, whatever. I got back into shooting after a long absense. If I have to "learn" how to shoot a pistol..... accurately. Then there are issues there.

    Look I already admitted that I saw a guy shoot fantastic with a Glock chambered for the 9. I saw another guy that could only hit ONE bowling pin, with 17 rounds or so in his Glock chambered for the 40. I cleaned up 8 for 8 with my Ruger P345.

    The fact that there are love/hate thing going on about the Glocks, indicates that there are issues there. It seems that you either love them or hate them. Just because they go bang every time, is not the reason to strap one on for EDC. You gotta be able to hit what you are aiming at. I tried them, and found them unacceptable. I'll say the same thing thats been repeated over and over in this threads. Buy a gun that you are confortable with, and can shoot accurately. I tried several guns.... begged, borrowed, or rented, before I bought the gun I'm comfortable with. Its the ONLY way to go.
    Ok, then what about the thousands of people that can pick one up and shoot a 2 inch group at HD range? Not the pistols fault. Sorry dude. I have to adjust to shooting ANY new pistol. Having to do so doesn't mean that there are issues with the pistol. Don't get me wrong. There are people out there like Tangle that could pick up a super soaker loaded with crayons and shoot a 1 inch group at 50 yards but I don't think most of us fall into that category. There are any number of guns that I do not shoot well. FNP's come to mind. I have shot the 9's and the 45's and I just don't shoot them well. They are great guns. They just aren't a good fit for me. Sounds like Glock's aren't a good fit for you. That doesn't mean there is any thing wrong with Glock. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. It just means that perhaps your more comfortable with a different size and brand and cut of jeans. I like Old Navy Loose fit 33x32 (I buy them a size large in the waste to accomdate my pistol). Maybe Levi's 501 34x33's are a better fit for you. But my Old Navy jeans aren't bad because Levi's fit you better.
    Eric357 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  9. #84
    Member Array Danoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wet Washington State
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Ok, then what about the thousands of people that can pick one up and shoot a 2 inch group at HD range? Not the pistols fault. Sorry dude. I have to adjust to shooting ANY new pistol. Having to do so doesn't mean that there are issues with the pistol. Don't get me wrong. There are people out there like Tangle that could pick up a super soaker loaded with crayons and shoot a 1 inch group at 50 yards but I don't think most of us fall into that category. There are any number of guns that I do not shoot well. FNP's come to mind. I have shot the 9's and the 45's and I just don't shoot them well. They are great guns. They just aren't a good fit for me. Sounds like Glock's aren't a good fit for you. That doesn't mean there is any thing wrong with Glock. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. It just means that perhaps your more comfortable with a different size and brand and cut of jeans. I like Old Navy Loose fit 33x32 (I buy them a size large in the waste to accomdate my pistol). Maybe Levi's 501 34x33's are a better fit for you. But my Old Navy jeans aren't bad because Levi's fit you better.
    I don't disagree with you at all. I guess my point was....... If I found a gun that I could shoot accurately at HD range, almost right out of the box, as opposed to subjecting myself to train with a gun to get acceptable accuracy after firing hundreds of rounds before it was suitable to me for HD?

    I used to wear Hagars at work, with their nice large pockets. But they were getting tore up bad. Now we wear Dickies. Those thing take a beating without a mark. I can still carry my piece in my pocket and remain out of sight. There was an adjustment period there as well.

    2" groups? Thousands?? OK. What do you consider HD range? I thought HD range is from 0 to 25'?

    Otherwise we both are saying the same thing, just different in how we are getting the same message across. I'll concede your point that it's not the gun's fault, for the reasons that you posted.

  10. #85
    VIP Member Array aus71383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,543
    If my only experience with a Glock was shooting 2 foot groups from 0-25 feet, I wouldn't own one either.

    No gun should be shooting 2 foot groups at 25 feet. If it is - there is something terribly wrong with either the gun or the shooter or both. Maybe .40 loaded in a .45 magazine? I can't imagine that kind of accuracy from a factory gun. That's just scary.

    Austin
    Eric357 likes this.

  11. #86
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,408
    My only Glock is a single shot.

    IMG_0714.JPG
    sioux565, Rollo and OD* like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  12. #87
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,276
    I like the Glock because it is now the standard, in my opinion, against which all other pistols are being measured. It is lightweight, reliable, easy to fix, and very customizable, as well as there exists parts everywhere.

  13. #88
    Senior Member Array DocT65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    595
    Why Glock?

    Easy answer: Because they work. Glock is simply one of the best made, best performing and most dependable platforms in the world, at any price (and their price ain't bad for what you get). It is no coincidence that they hold the majority of the U.S. LE market and are so popular with shooters around the globe.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

    Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

    NRA Patron Member

  14. #89
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    "What's popular isn't always right. What's right isn't always popular. "
    --Howard Cosell
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  15. #90
    Member Array RandyatOBX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    46
    Glock is one of MANY fine firearms out there. I have a 27 and a 23, love them, BUT my primary carry is a M&P40c.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best glock for home defense

,
click clock goes my glock
,

glock

,

glock 42 for sale panama city

,
glock as a wilderness weapon
,
glock in the wilderness
,
my glock does not fit my hand
,
walther ppq
,
what are some disappointed with glock guns
,

why glock

,
why glock grips are uncomfy
,

why glock is a sure shot

Click on a term to search for related topics.