Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like reading about people that are happy and comfortable with a firearm choice they've made. even if it's not a choice I would've made. ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

Why Glock?

I like reading about people that are happy and comfortable with a firearm choice they've made. even if it's not a choice I would've made. but the flame-bait threads and back and forth bickering about a gun that isn't even on your hip are stupid. If you don't like Glock or any other firearm then don't carry one.

I promise I've got legitimate reasons for not carrying the gun that's riding in your holster and that's because so much of the decision making process comes down to personal preferences and not just whatever "stats" that can be manufactured on the web. thankfully, we have a choice. (for the moment anyway)
    smolck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

While Glock's are no doubt quality firearms I believe their popularity may have something to do with Hollywood, there are countless movies and TV series that Glocks have had a role. I believe it if wasn't for this then maybe they wouldn't be as popular then again I could be totally wrong. I prefer the XD, but I'm looking to add a G26 to the collection.

Late to the party (my pc took a dump) but I like my Glock 27 for the following reasons:

1. If I drop it, scratch it, gouge it, or mar the finish it doesn't bother me one bit (its a tool to me, much like a hammer)
    2. It fires EVERY time I pull the trigger
    3. It is easily concealable and carries enough .40 caliber lead to make me feel warm and snuggly inside
    4. It fires EVERY time I pull the trigger
    5. Easy to maintain and clean
    6. It fires EVERY time I pull the trigger
    7. Accurate

I used to hate Glocks, then I bought one. I will however, gladly continue to support ALL of our rights to own and carry WHATEVER gun you choose. Lots of great ones, buy em all I say!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Late to the party (my pc took a dump) but I like my Glock 27 for the following reasons:

1. If I drop it, scratch it, gouge it, or mar the finish it doesn't bother me one bit (its a tool to me, much like a hammer)
    2. It fires EVERY time I pull the trigger
    3. It is easily concealable and carries enough .40 caliber lead to make me feel warm and snuggly inside
    4. It fires EVERY time I pull the trigger
    5. Easy to maintain and clean
    6. It fires EVERY time I pull the trigger
    7. Accurate

I used to hate Glocks, then I bought one. I will however, gladly continue to support ALL of our rights to own and carry WHATEVER gun you choose. Lots of great ones, buy em all I say!
    Yes, that. I've only just gotten one, a Glock 27 but I get it. It will be my EDC from now on, with the Ruger LCP as a BUG.
    JIm

Re: Why Glock?

Because everyone else does!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Divide post count by days since joining and learn something about the poster

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    I guess I've been a little hard on Glock seeing as though I've been forming my opinions based on the multitude of complaints I've seen on the internet regarding ejector and BTF issues. I picked up a new Gen 3 19 last night...I'll put it through its paces and see if I run into those same issues. test fire date 8/15/12.
    Quick update -- In addition to the Gen 3 Glock 19, I picked up a new Gen 3 Glock 26 this past weekend to give a whirl as well. A quick trip to the range today with the G26 resulted in a steady stream of lead to my face....G26 is going back to Glock. I should be able to run some rounds through the G19 next week.

We'll see if Glock can remedy the issue but these pistols are far from perfection these days it seems. I will never doubt the internets again!

Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    As per my brothers request, I checked out Glocks when I was shopping for a 45. Tried 2 different models. Out of all the different 45's I tried, they were the worse for groupings. As an example, I shot a springfield 1911 for a 5 inch group at home defense range. Both Glocks were close to 2 feet groups...... I thought what's wrong.... went back to the 1911, and had a nice 5 inch group. Both Glocks were crossed off my list.

I attended an event last summer that included friendly shooting competition. A friend had a Glock chambered for the 40, had a double stack magazine... Held 17 rounds, I think it was. Target were bowling pins. we were all having fun, and I asked if I could shoot clean up after he was done. There were 9 bowling pins standing. with 17 rounds he had only knocked down 1 pin. I took my New Ruger P345 holding 8 rounds, and knocked down 8 pins. He wasn't too happy. I observed him shooting other equipment, and he is a good shot.

Another friend had a Glock chambered for the 9MM. He actually shot an awesome group with the thing. I was impressed.

But if you can't hit the broad side of a barn door with a Glock, what good is it, even if it goes "Bang" every time. Ain't no good if you can't hit the target with it.
    I made a soda can dance from the 35 yard line out to the 50 yard line w/ my Glock 17. It's who is pressing the trigger that matters.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

personally, it's a gun meant to be used and abused. Not your fancy 1911 that needs to be shine regularly. I can trust my Glocks with my life. It's an AK 47 in a hand gun form.
    Smarshe likes this.

After much consideration I've finally decided to go with a G36 over a Kimber Super carry Ultra +, and save around $700. I,just can't get past the reliability complaints with the 3" Kimber. I do own a Kimber Solo (love it) and a G26 that I've had for a decade. Still I probably will end up with the Kimber 1911 someday, when I can actually find one!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    With Glock pistols it all comes down to a perfect balance of price, quality and reliability. There are pistols out there that have better ergonomics, aesthetics, and quality of construction, but for the price that you pay for a Glock pistol you will get a tank of a gun that will go bang every single time you pull the trigger despite the weather conditions, the pistol's maintenance, or the situation. So the question when thinking about Glock or not is, do you want a reliable tough weapon or a gorgeous safe queen? I choose the former. I began my experience with handguns with Heckler & Koch and I then tried Walther, Beretta, and Smith & Wesson, but now I am switching my handguns to Glock. Why? Because they are affordable, dependable and simple. I just want my gun to fire without worrying about it being clean to work well or having to fumble around with external safeties during a high pressure situation. Sometimes people get caught up with all the techs and specs of firearms and thus spend too much time online over analyzing self-defense scenarios. This is mostly due to their lack of experience with armed combat and as such many bogus choices are made. I was one of them. Unfortunately that changed last year when I was forced to defend myself and I now know what it's like to have to react quickly when your a$$ is on the line. Thus, I now choose Glock!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Why Not Glock?
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Because it came in 10mm Auto!

Scott

Re: Why Glock?

Because it has never been a question for me. I chose Sig.

*grab your pitchforks and torches*

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    I like Glocks for their light weight,reliability and capacity of the mags.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

They are the Subaru of the gun world. Certainly not the prettiest but dead nuts reliable(at least for me). I am on my 3rd Glock(Gen3 30) because I sold my other two(Gen3 23 and 30) because I thought I needed something else(S&W 66 and a RIA tactical) but I always come back to Glock. In my opinion, they are the most reliable gun for the money.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links