Why Glock? - Page 8

Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reliable as the day is long....

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

Reliable as the day is long.
    Pro likes this.

When I was shopping for a semi auto I decided on the .40S&W caliber. I went to a gun shop that had a range and rented 4 different guns. Price was not too big of an issue because I figured I would be keeping the thing probably 10 years or better, so If one gun was $500 and another $800, it was no big deal because I would rather have something that I liked for 10 years, than something that I just settled for. I rented a Springfield, a Sig Sauer, a Glock, and a S&W mp. I shot 50 rounds through each, and I did better with the Glock than the others. Maybe it was the trigger, or grip angle, or sights, or weight, or whatever. I just decided not to argue against what worked well. The next gun was a Glock23c.

I became interested in CCW, so the next gun was a Glock 27. It turns out that I seem to shoot the 27 better, so I just put the G23 up for sale. I have other Semi autos as well, like the Walther P22, (.22lr), and the Beretta Nano, (9mm), but with these I get constant feed problems. Neither of these were cheap when I bought them, so it makes me wonder about the quality of their companies other offerings.

With the Glocks, they just go bang every time, until the ammo is gone. It is like having a girl that may not be so pretty, but boy can she cook.

I thought I would add about accuracy. Maybe I got Hitchkock45 itis, (from youtube videos), but I believe what he says is true, any modern gun will be more accurate than the shooter. Maybe one brand of gun is so light that you pull off target, or flinch because of more recoil, or maybe the trigger just doesn't suit you. But it is not the gun. That is why I never tell anyone what they should get. Find out what shoots best for you, because none of us can tell you what that would be. So for me personally Glock just works well. Would I buy a different brand in the future? Sure if it had earned a reputation for reliability, and Glock didn't make one, (like a single stack .40 S&W).

Happy hunting!

I used to hate Glocks until I got a G19. I fell in love after. Simple no BS gun. Just load it and shoot. Very accurate out of box. For the price of most top 1911's and Sigs I got THREE!! Glocks!
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

aren't glocks like the toyota camry of the gun world?

totally reliable, starts every time you turn the key, somewhat stylish, but not quite a porsche?

: /
    ValterP99 likes this.

Can I ask a question about Glock without getting flamed? I've read through this and some other threads on Glocks. I here people talk about the grip and grip angle. Whats the with the grip or grip angle that some dislike. I honestly have never held a glock. They just never appealed to me but that doesnt mean I wont own one someday just because they have a good reputation. Not saying anytime soon because there are other guns I want right now.

Re: Why Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Can I ask a question about Glock without getting flamed? I've read through this and some other threads on Glocks. I here people talk about the grip and grip angle. Whats the with the grip or grip angle that some dislike. I honestly have never held a glock. They just never appealed to me but that doesnt mean I wont own one someday just because they have a good reputation. Not saying anytime soon because there are other guns I want right now.
    The grip and angle is personal preference. I happen to like both. On the Gen 4's, the grip texture is pretty rough. To me, that is a good thing. The angle of the grip leaves your wrist cocked down a bit, but it is a more natural shooting position for me.

Why Glock?

Unless you have a lot of time and money to burn through in the quest for your perfect handgun, you're likely going to want to go the "tried & true" route.

Glock is just that... Tried & True.

Ronco, but isn't there alot of tried and true guns?

I would say you're getting the best feedback on "Why Glock" from the guys that don't own them. We talk on DC frequently about, "glock juice" or "bit by glock bug" and so forth. It's like a Corvette z06 owner telling you why the z06 is the best car ever made, of course there is some bias.

I have 0 bad things to say about the line because I've only shot a few. But from the older, more experienced members on here that tell you they don't own them but this is why people love them, you should listen to them first.
    JMOFWIW
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Ronco, but isn't there alot of tried and true guns?
    YEs there is, but for the PRICE very little.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Re: Why Glock?

A glock 17 was my first gun. It was reasonably priced compared to SIG and HK and 1911s and super reliable. That is all I needed to find out. The m&p was still too new so I was not sure about them and info was scarce. I stuck with glock because after training with it, it just became natural. I do love the 1911 platform but I think a glock is a bit more rugged. A 1911 to me is like your Sunday driver. You take it out and run it hard and it never let's you down but in the back of your mind you would still drive the pickup because it has never failed and won't make you cry when it gets dinged or scratched. That's the best analogy I can think of.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I participated in this thread prior to Sandy Hook. At that time, I didn't own a Glock.

This is why I bought a Glock:

- in the insanity following SH, 9mm and 45 vanished immediately, while .40 was still around (early on). I only had 9mm handguns, and decided to add .40 to improve my chances of finding rounds.

- there are a lot of GREAT options in .40, but the size of the Glock 23 is perfect. I can conceal it easily in light clothing, but it is also a great duty weapon. This versatility is a big deal to me. I favor practicality, and this is a pistol that I will use frequently.

- with capacity restrictions being discussed, I wanted enough mags to be set up for the long haul. Due to the extreme popularity of Glocks, I have been able to acquire a good supply of mags in very short order.

- also due to Glock popularity... They make a lot of the pistols! I intend to secure another G23, as able.

- based on reputation, I expected the G23 to be reliable. It has been flawless.

Having said all of the above, I would like to add that I am not a 'Glock guy'. I have no emotional attachment to my G23, and I don't believe that it is inherently superior to an M&P 40, Sig 226 or 229, XD40, etc. My decision was practical.

My favorite handgun is still a Walther PPQ in 9mm.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Cuz I can shoot it underwater if I want......lol

VIP Member
    And they are dishwasher safe, top shelf only.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Glock is
    reliABLE
    availABLE
    affordABLE

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links