Defensive Carry banner

Why Glock?

13K views 133 replies 98 participants last post by  gallardo.g23 
#1 ·
As I go through the threads it seems like ever other post is about Glock. Every post seems to be about being torn between a Glock and something else or someone talks about how many differnt models of Glock they own. Why? Now I'm not hating on the gun at all. I've even shot a G19 before but it wasn't a really memorable experience or it didn't make me decide right then and there that I had to have one. I just want to get other's perspective and opinion on the topic.

Why Glock??? :confused:

#105 ·
They are the Subaru of the gun world. Certainly not the prettiest but dead nuts reliable(at least for me). I am on my 3rd Glock(Gen3 30) because I sold my other two(Gen3 23 and 30) because I thought I needed something else(S&W 66 and a RIA tactical) but I always come back to Glock. In my opinion, they are the most reliable gun for the money.

#107 ·
When I was shopping for a semi auto I decided on the .40S&W caliber. I went to a gun shop that had a range and rented 4 different guns. Price was not too big of an issue because I figured I would be keeping the thing probably 10 years or better, so If one gun was $500 and another $800, it was no big deal because I would rather have something that I liked for 10 years, than something that I just settled for. I rented a Springfield, a Sig Sauer, a Glock, and a S&W mp. I shot 50 rounds through each, and I did better with the Glock than the others. Maybe it was the trigger, or grip angle, or sights, or weight, or whatever. I just decided not to argue against what worked well. The next gun was a Glock23c.

I became interested in CCW, so the next gun was a Glock 27. It turns out that I seem to shoot the 27 better, so I just put the G23 up for sale. I have other Semi autos as well, like the Walther P22, (.22lr), and the Beretta Nano, (9mm), but with these I get constant feed problems. Neither of these were cheap when I bought them, so it makes me wonder about the quality of their companies other offerings.

With the Glocks, they just go bang every time, until the ammo is gone. It is like having a girl that may not be so pretty, but boy can she cook.

I thought I would add about accuracy. Maybe I got Hitchkock45 itis, (from youtube videos), but I believe what he says is true, any modern gun will be more accurate than the shooter. Maybe one brand of gun is so light that you pull off target, or flinch because of more recoil, or maybe the trigger just doesn't suit you. But it is not the gun. That is why I never tell anyone what they should get. Find out what shoots best for you, because none of us can tell you what that would be. So for me personally Glock just works well. Would I buy a different brand in the future? Sure if it had earned a reputation for reliability, and Glock didn't make one, (like a single stack .40 S&W).

Happy hunting!

#110 ·
Can I ask a question about Glock without getting flamed? I've read through this and some other threads on Glocks. I here people talk about the grip and grip angle. Whats the with the grip or grip angle that some dislike. I honestly have never held a glock. They just never appealed to me but that doesnt mean I wont own one someday just because they have a good reputation. Not saying anytime soon because there are other guns I want right now.

#114 ·
I would say you're getting the best feedback on "Why Glock" from the guys that don't own them. We talk on DC frequently about, "glock juice" or "bit by glock bug" and so forth. It's like a Corvette z06 owner telling you why the z06 is the best car ever made, of course there is some bias.

I have 0 bad things to say about the line because I've only shot a few. But from the older, more experienced members on here that tell you they don't own them but this is why people love them, you should listen to them first.
JMOFWIW

#116 ·
A glock 17 was my first gun. It was reasonably priced compared to SIG and HK and 1911s and super reliable. That is all I needed to find out. The m&p was still too new so I was not sure about them and info was scarce. I stuck with glock because after training with it, it just became natural. I do love the 1911 platform but I think a glock is a bit more rugged. A 1911 to me is like your Sunday driver. You take it out and run it hard and it never let's you down but in the back of your mind you would still drive the pickup because it has never failed and won't make you cry when it gets dinged or scratched. That's the best analogy I can think of.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3

#117 ·
I participated in this thread prior to Sandy Hook. At that time, I didn't own a Glock.

This is why I bought a Glock:

- in the insanity following SH, 9mm and 45 vanished immediately, while .40 was still around (early on). I only had 9mm handguns, and decided to add .40 to improve my chances of finding rounds.

- there are a lot of GREAT options in .40, but the size of the Glock 23 is perfect. I can conceal it easily in light clothing, but it is also a great duty weapon. This versatility is a big deal to me. I favor practicality, and this is a pistol that I will use frequently.

- with capacity restrictions being discussed, I wanted enough mags to be set up for the long haul. Due to the extreme popularity of Glocks, I have been able to acquire a good supply of mags in very short order.

- also due to Glock popularity... They make a lot of the pistols! I intend to secure another G23, as able.

- based on reputation, I expected the G23 to be reliable. It has been flawless.

Having said all of the above, I would like to add that I am not a 'Glock guy'. I have no emotional attachment to my G23, and I don't believe that it is inherently superior to an M&P 40, Sig 226 or 229, XD40, etc. My decision was practical.

My favorite handgun is still a Walther PPQ in 9mm.

#121 ·
I hated glock, and never shot one. I had bought an xdm, and told myself this was the best gun period. Couple range sessions go by and my body shows up with his 17. For me that gun shot so much nicer than mine. I could hit whatever I was pointing at with that gun

A week later, I traded mine in for a 19. And then added a 23 and a 26. I have had nothing but good luck with them. I really wanted to like the Springfield better, but it didn't happen that way.

#122 ·
Your body showed up with a different gun?! Crazy. Must've known somethin you didn't. LOL!

Sent using my Tap-a-talkinator

#123 ·
I had a 19, got rid of it and regret it horribly. Just recently picked up a 23 to fill the Glock void. Even if I don't love the ergos as some other guns a Glock is a must have IMO. You can't break it and it's one of the few firearms I would feel comfortable depending my life on right out of the box.

#126 ·
Because people buy them without knowing how they work..... Story time.

*vent time start*

Gunshop to get ammo, which is rationing to 1 box per day now. Guy in front picks up his new glock (.45) and asks for ammo. True to buy 5000 rounds....Clerk spends 30 minutes explaining the terms "grain," "full metal jacket," and "hollowpoint." This is all very confusing when the clerk asks "what grain and type." Purchases, successfully, one 50 round box of .45 pmc fmj. Proceeds to argue with the clerk how he has a glock and not a centerfire (as we know is generally written on the box.) Turns to dry fire and no click. Asks me why no click, not knowing I am a sig-o-philiac. I rack the slide, knowing that this motion resets the striker, and pull the trigger. Click it goes. Even I know this....

*vent time over*

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

#128 ·
Reliablity. Reasonable cost. Parts commonality to some degree. Simplicity.

#130 ·
I was wondering the same thing about Glocks.....and after reading about them and listening to owners and watching videos, they just work. Period.

They aren't pretty like a Kimber or have a history like a Colt but they do have a staunch following, great aftermarket support and they just work. They can be had for a good price, new or used.

I've pretty much decided that my next gun will be a Glock....probably a 26/27 but I'm starting to lean heavily towards the 19/23 world.

The good thing about it....I can buy them as I want them. :smile::danceban:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.