Defensive Carry banner

Why Glock?

13K views 133 replies 98 participants last post by  gallardo.g23 
#1 ·
As I go through the threads it seems like ever other post is about Glock. Every post seems to be about being torn between a Glock and something else or someone talks about how many differnt models of Glock they own. Why? Now I'm not hating on the gun at all. I've even shot a G19 before but it wasn't a really memorable experience or it didn't make me decide right then and there that I had to have one. I just want to get other's perspective and opinion on the topic.

Why Glock??? :confused:

#2 ·
I'll add my 2 cents...

I think it's kind of like a girlfriend/boyfriend... what are you looking for? Something pretty, or something dependable that you can count on?

Sure, there are some out there that are both, but those that lean towards Glock are of the mindset that it's the most dependable and durable while not being the most attractive. Kind of like a woman marrying an accountant. ;-) (I'm an accounting software consultant, so I speak from experience. Special thanks to my lovely wife for settling for a human Glock. :wink: )

This is likely to be a fun thread to read the rest of the day.

Reactions: minimalbrat
#3 ·
This is coming from someone who doesn't own a single Glock, so I am certainly no fanboy:

Glocks are possibly the best value out there. They are uber reliable weapons and they can be had for much less money than a lot of the other top-tier guns. You can get a brand new Glock in the $500 range where Sigs, H&K, Walther, Kimber et al cost significantly more.

I am one of those "They just don't fit my hand well" guys, but I have a lot of respect for the Glock line.

#5 ·
i would say its because Glock makes some of the most reliable weapons on the market and really not that expensive for what you are getting. they may not feel great to everyone or look the way you like but you can be sure it will fire when you pull the trigger. maybe try some of the other models and calibers and see how you like them.

for the record i dont own a glock....yet

#6 ·
Why not Glock?

There is a reason many law enforcement agencies use Glock's. Reliability and simplicity come to mind. My old man's duty gun was a G22 which served him well for 10 years on the job and he still carries it today for personal protection. Not once did he ever have any issues with it. That is the big reason why I got one and it will not be my last.

In the end, you either love them or hate them.

#25 ·
And that reason is??? Glock went in the early 90's and practically gave dept's their weps and bought their old ones, who wouldn't take free weps? Are Glocks that much better than everything else? Not in this guys opinion, I've owned and carried Glocks for a loooong time. You know how many I own now? 0, zip, why you ask? Simple, I finally found the handgun that was designed for my hand, Glocks are very uncomfy for my hand, I don't like the grip angle at all. I'm no hater but I can recognize a better gun when I find it, some are too blind to do so. If you like em run with em, I don't so I'll be carrying my SIGP229 40, I've had Glock 40's in the past on/off the job and I hated them, the 229 makes the 40 a comfy rd to fire and carry. You couldn't give me a Glock 40. Glock is not the end all be all handgun that it is made out to be by so many, it's just another choice.

#7 ·
My Glock 30-The price was right (Mil Discount), it had the attributes I wanted, there weren't any questions about its reliability, and I found it pleasant to shoot. I have no love affair with Glocks, but they get the job done.

#11 ·
I'm just grateful I'm not required to own a Glock which has always looked like a variation on the theme of "The Emporor's New Clothes." There are a great number of handgun designs from which to choose, many combining style and reliability. Glock doesn't necessarily have a reliability advantage but it does have a hold on people's minds. Lots of folks love 'em.

Reactions: Eric357
#14 ·
Alot of people tried to tell me Glock was the best pistol made. I dunno whether or not that's true but the reason I bought one was I found a race horse deal, the reason I kept it is because I shot it fairly well, needed a good 45, and they are different from anything I've ever shot but at the same time it's kinda cool.

Goose

#20 ·
I was dead set on getting a glock 19, but I rented a Walther ppq and was pretty impressed. I probably will go with the Glock because I just feel I need to own 1 Glock 19, and for all the after market parts. But I may end up with both eventually

#21 ·
Simple, durable, reliable, has been said. Spare parts are everywhere, even factory spare parts. You can gut the thing in minutes with a small punch. Everything is easily replacable. Everyone and their dog make sights and holsters, etc., for Glocks. There are a lot of great guns on the market today but Glock IMO, is the most hassle free platform out there.

#22 ·
I have a Glock 19. Its easy to shoot. Has never failed to fire or eject. I dont clean it as often as i should but still no problems and it didnt set me back too much $$. I love 1911's. One day a Wilson Combat CQB will be part of my arsenal. But for now the Glock suits my budget and purposes.

#23 ·
Gun for gun off of the production line they are about the most reliable, functionally non-problematic (out of the box) "cookie cutter" firearm out there that can be had for a very affordable price by much of the world population.

That is my opinion and I am not a GLOCK guy but, I have worked on enough firearms to insure that my own personal choice of a carry firearm is as reliable as a GLOCK.

The GLOCK is a fantastic firearm choice if you are wanting a decent guarantee that you own a firearm that you can pop right out of the box...load up magazines and be confident that it will operate as intended without a hitch.

For a majority of folks that is all they want, need, and desire.

For me personally I want a bit more in the ergonomics department with a different style of trigger and so the GLOCK is not my first choice for a carry firearm.

BUT, the fact remains that they are great, legendary, firearms with regard to continious functional reliability with very little maintenance required. There is no doubt about that & they have a very proved track record and they are an incredibly popular firearm for those reasons.

#38 ·
Ah yes Glock :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Some people swear by them, they don't fit my hand and I do not have any.
Playing the Devil's Advocate here and saying maybe your hand doesn't fit them!:hand5:

#31 ·
In a market with many right answers, Glock is one. If a given person prefers Glock over other reliable platforms (of which there are many), then Glock is the right answer for that individual.

It is worth saying that Glock is not the only reliable platform at that price point.

#32 ·
A long-standing reputation for dead nuts reliability, out of the box. A strong service record in the field. Same manual of arms across all of the calibers, sizes. A wide variety of calibers, sizes. Durable in adverse conditions. Countless millions sold around the world. Very good support in the aftermarket, in terms of gun smithing, service, parts and add-ons (ie, holsters). Price competitive with many alternatives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.