Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I go through the threads it seems like ever other post is about Glock. Every post seems to be about being torn between a ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

Why Glock?

As I go through the threads it seems like ever other post is about Glock. Every post seems to be about being torn between a Glock and something else or someone talks about how many differnt models of Glock they own. Why? Now I'm not hating on the gun at all. I've even shot a G19 before but it wasn't a really memorable experience or it didn't make me decide right then and there that I had to have one. I just want to get other's perspective and opinion on the topic.

Why Glock???

2. Remove Ads

I'll add my 2 cents...

I think it's kind of like a girlfriend/boyfriend... what are you looking for? Something pretty, or something dependable that you can count on?

Sure, there are some out there that are both, but those that lean towards Glock are of the mindset that it's the most dependable and durable while not being the most attractive. Kind of like a woman marrying an accountant. ;-) (I'm an accounting software consultant, so I speak from experience. Special thanks to my lovely wife for settling for a human Glock. )

This is likely to be a fun thread to read the rest of the day.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

This is coming from someone who doesn't own a single Glock, so I am certainly no fanboy:

Glocks are possibly the best value out there. They are uber reliable weapons and they can be had for much less money than a lot of the other top-tier guns. You can get a brand new Glock in the $500 range where Sigs, H&K, Walther, Kimber et al cost significantly more.

I am one of those "They just don't fit my hand well" guys, but I have a lot of respect for the Glock line.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

This is actually just a front for GlockTalk

i would say its because Glock makes some of the most reliable weapons on the market and really not that expensive for what you are getting. they may not feel great to everyone or look the way you like but you can be sure it will fire when you pull the trigger. maybe try some of the other models and calibers and see how you like them.

for the record i dont own a glock....yet
    sensei2 likes this.
    ruger91

NRA member

Why not Glock?

There is a reason many law enforcement agencies use Glock's. Reliability and simplicity come to mind. My old man's duty gun was a G22 which served him well for 10 years on the job and he still carries it today for personal protection. Not once did he ever have any issues with it. That is the big reason why I got one and it will not be my last.

In the end, you either love them or hate them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My Glock 30-The price was right (Mil Discount), it had the attributes I wanted, there weren't any questions about its reliability, and I found it pleasant to shoot. I have no love affair with Glocks, but they get the job done.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Why Glock?

I don't understand why anyone cares what's in someone else's holster.

I have a couple and have had a positive experience with them. If someone asks my opinion or suggestion, I give it based on that experience.
    Inspector71 likes this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Well, I don't know your experience level, but IMO after you get familiar with lots of gun systems you come to appreciate Glock more and more. They are simple, rugged, and reliable, nothing more to say.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Reputation | Define Reputation at Dictionary.com

A repetitive good performance builds a good reputation.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I'm just grateful I'm not required to own a Glock which has always looked like a variation on the theme of "The Emporor's New Clothes." There are a great number of handgun designs from which to choose, many combining style and reliability. Glock doesn't necessarily have a reliability advantage but it does have a hold on people's minds. Lots of folks love 'em.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have been thinking about getting a Glock 19 but with some many issues with Gen 3 and IVs I'm might wait a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    This is actually just a front for GlockTalk
    LOL! I just realized after posting this thread that I'm adding to all the Glock posts!

Alot of people tried to tell me Glock was the best pistol made. I dunno whether or not that's true but the reason I bought one was I found a race horse deal, the reason I kept it is because I shot it fairly well, needed a good 45, and they are different from anything I've ever shot but at the same time it's kinda cool.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Quote Originally Posted by AWMP View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a Glock 19 but with some many issues with Gen 3 and IVs I'm might wait a little longer.
    As far as I know, most of these issues, if not all of them, have been resolved. My Gen 4 27 has been flawless so far.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links