high end 1911 - Page 2

high end 1911

This is a discussion on high end 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would look into something like an Ed Brown or a Nighthawk, or go with a full custom build. Then make it fit you by ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: high end 1911

I would look into something like an Ed Brown or a Nighthawk, or go with a full custom build. Then make it fit you by adding some custom grips (Sarge's grips come to mind).
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

JD
    Administrator

Re: high end 1911

Quote Originally Posted by 45XDCCW View Post
    Just my opinion; but Wilson and Brown are the kings of the 1911 world. You could also look at Nighthawk (built by Bill Wilson as well).
    Nighthawks are not built by Bill Wilson....oh if either side were to read that statement.

To be continued...

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Beautiful guns. When I can justify the expense, I shall have me one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Nighthawks are not built by Bill Wilson....oh if either side were to read that statement.

To be continued...

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.
    May be thinking Marvel, but Wilson, no.
    Not far from saying Gaston builds M&Ps.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

high end 1911

Marvel doesn't build nighthawk either. Marvel, as in Bob Marvel, builds full customs which are typically used in the Bullseye world. If, of course, this is the gentleman you were referring to.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    I've gone both routes...I have serial number 1 from a custom maker......& I have a Les Baer that I carry everyday during cooler months. Either way do your homework so you get what you desire.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Reeder in Flagstaff Az

@Deadguy-- yeah, he does. Bob Marvel Custom. Bob Marvel Custom - Pistols
    He may not be VMC'ing the things himself, but this Nighthawk carries his name and symbol on the slide opposite of Nighthawk's.

thanks for all the replies..... ive been looking at a company called Hero guns. the guy only builds a few 1911 a year and i have seen his guns and they seem to be built really well. his price is in the $2400.00 range. just trying to figure out to go with something like he builds or go with a company like ed brown or wilson combat.. so many guns and so little money !!!!! seems like everybody spends alot of money on a 1911, shoots it few times and then sends it back to the factory to have it "tuned"....i dont want to send a new gun back to the factory, i want a 1911 that is reliable right out of the box that i can carry everyday.. i shoot between 150 to 400 rounds evey week, and dang it, i dont think im asking too much for a "new" gun to be totally reliable... and i want this gun to be my daily carry gun..

virg

high end 1911

Sort of like Lew Horton's name is on many Colts and Springfields. Matter of fact, that Night Commander you see up there was originally a Lew Horton Night Commander.

They may have Marvels name on it, but they aren't built by Mr. Marvel. Big difference, in my opinion.

high end 1911

Virg: cheap, fast, good. Pick any two. Remember that when choosing a builder

They may have Marvels name on it, but they aren't built by Mr. Marvel. Big difference, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

No doubt, but I'm inclined to think with NH's reputation, it's like someone slapped a BMW symbol on a Mercedes. The Bimmer may be faster and a much better drive, but it's not like the Benz is a POS.

high end 1911

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post

No doubt, but I'm inclined to think with NH's reputation, it's like someone slapped a BMW symbol on a Mercedes. The Bimmer may be faster and a much better drive, but it's not like the Benz is a POS.
    Lol. True. Lets just hope the smith at NH has even a fraction of the skills Marvel has.

VIP Member
    deadguy,

That Colt Commander is sweet!

Suddenly my Colt Defender seems a little plain to me.
    Colt Defender.png
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

A full custom is a bit of a craps game. I would say be absolutely sure that the smith is qualified before going down that path. Someone with a national reputation, and knowledge of modern 1911 techniques. Building a 1911 today is not at all like doing one in 1975. In fact, some of the old guys and old techniques will just ruin a newly CNC-machined frame, that came out of the mill, with tighter specs than those guns so lovingly hand-fitted just 20 yrs. ago.

That being said, Ed Browns are priced to the point that you will probably spend LOTS more with a custom smith, to get about the same quality. If I was a custom smith, there is no way I could compete with Ed Brown, and offer the same level of pistol.

Same with Wilson, on a somewhat higher priced level. Economies of scale. They have managed to maintain a very high level of quality, while being able to take advantage of more of a mass-production type of output.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links