high end 1911

This is a discussion on high end 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD Nighthawks are not built by Bill Wilson....oh if either side were to read that statement. To be continued... Sent via Tapatalk ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: high end 1911

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Nighthawks are not built by Bill Wilson....oh if either side were to read that statement.

To be continued...

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.
    I will admit I was basing my statement off of assumptions; I honestly did not think two of the top 1911 manufacturers would be located in Berryville Arkansas....haha. I stand corrected, Bob Marvel does have a custom line of Nighthawks from the looks of it.
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

2. Remove Ads

You could do much, much worse than Uselton Arms. I have been in his store and seen many of his variations. When I grow up and become successful I would like to have a few He is a true custom builder- no- make that manufacturer, unlike so many of those who proclaim to be custom builders.

The variety of today’s high end 1911 factory guns is excellent. One may purchase different frame sizes and calibers that are all outstanding from Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat and the others at this level of renown.

As good as these 1911’s are, they do not have the unique characteristics or creative touches as do custom guns built by the master smiths mentioned by other posters in this thread.

Throughout the years I have owned excellent factory 1911 pistols. I have also owned many that were built for me to my component desires. The cost between the best of the factory and the custom built guns was not all that different. They were all expensive!

Without question, the custom built ones were superior visually to the high end factory guns. With regard to reliability and accuracy, I found the difference between these makers and builders to be insignificant.

Thus, in my opinion, the difference is in the eye of the beholder and not specifically in the tolerances or mechanical precision of the components found in all of these high end 1911 pistols.

These are a sampling of my 1911 collection:

1911 Pistols Photos by shepsan | Photobucket
    deadguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virg View Post
    thanks for all the replies..... i shoot between 150 to 400 rounds evey week, and dang it, i dont think im asking too much for a "new" gun to be totally reliable... and i want this gun to be my daily carry gun..

virg
    You also said you wanted to compete with it. What type(s) of competition are you considering? A little research might save you some money down the road.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links