high end 1911

This is a discussion on high end 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my question is: what are your thoughts on getting a high end 1911, buy one from someone like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, ect., or have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: high end 1911

high end 1911

my question is: what are your thoughts on getting a high end 1911, buy one from someone like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, ect., or have an excellent gunsmith build one ?? i know having a big name brand would be better for resale but i dont intend on selling the gun...this gun would be for carry and some competitions. i shoot at least 200 rounds every week of the year..........i know some of you will tell me to just buy a glock or XD............i have several....and i do not want another plastic gun...... thanks, virg

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

high end 1911

If you want the best 1911 and can afford it, get a full custom. That would include a ground-up build with an empty frame and slide with high quality parts and fitting done by a Master Pistolsmith. There's no comparison. Absolutely none.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

If I could afford it, I'd go totally original build. Les, Wilson, Nighthawk, etc... all make excellent 1911's. Each has some points that are better than others. So, why not take the best of all the worlds and combine it into one platform? It'll probably cost you the same as buying a brand name, but you can really make that hog your own.

Administrator
    You could not go wrong with either WILSON or Les Baer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You could not go wrong with either WILSON or Les Baer.
    Or if you want something a little less expensive, look into Dan Wesson.
    bombthrower77 and QKShooter like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You've been mentioning semi-custom makers & forgot Ed Brown. But (IMHO) none can touch a pure, one-off custom by; Vickers, Dawson, Clark, Tussey, Liebenburg, Harrison, Christiansen, Garthwaite, etc. Prepare for sticker-shock & a long wait 'cause, like some other things in life, there's a reason why THE BEST is kept on a pretty high shelf well beyond the reach of most folks.

That having been said every (EVERY) serious pistolero should have at least one pistol that's exactly...the one they want.
    Last edited by ghost tracker; December 10th, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
    deadguy likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Some examples to help with your decision. First is a Colt Lightweight Commander sent to ROGERS PRECISION The build list is quite extensive so if you need info let me know.

Next is a WMG made on a Caspian slide and frame by Chambers Custom 1911 Pistols

The two of them at home with their clothes made by Exodus Gunleather - Home

Sir, that Commander is friggin gorgeous. Well done. I love your choices.
    deadguy likes this.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have a four 1911s that I consider "high end" guns. I paid over $2,000.00 for each of them.

What do I carry every day? One of my Glocks, or one of my Kimber Aluminum framed 1911s.

Why, the Glocks and the Kimbers I have are Accurate and Reliable. There light and comfortable to carry.

And should I ever have to use one, I don't want some uneducated LEO scratching his initals and the date into the slide or frame one of my Wilsons or Baers.

My Wilsons and Baers are for sitting in the safe, Barbques and the Zombie Invasion.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

I don't consider it really a "high end" gun but I do like my Les Baer Custom Carry. I have had it several months and ran around 1400 rounds so far with no issues. It is a dream to shoot and makes me look good at the range. I swapped out the ambi safety for a single sided safety, added an Ed Brown Maxi-well and Larry Davidson grips.

Les Baer Custom Carry, Kimber Pro Carry II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber TLE II, Springfield Loaded "N", Springfield Loaded "NM", Glocks

I have been down this road a couple of times, though with mid grade builds, not no holds barred builds. These were guns to use and to carry, not to be worshiped and babied.

The first gun I had worked on was a Browning Hi Power that had mostly reliability and accuracy work and new sights done by Novak's back in '94. It took seven months to get the work done which seemed like a lifetime then. When I look at the receipt now I wonder why I didn't go all in with it, but what I had done was what I needed to be confident carrying the gun. I still carry it on a regular basis.

The second was a Colt Officers ACP I sent to Wilson's in '95, same kind of work as above. Beaver tail (remember when these didn't come on every 1911), sights, trigger job and reliability work plus a new barrel etc. For many years I considered this my favorite gun I ever owned, and I guess I still do.

A couple years ago I bought a used but like new Wilson. 4" .45 with a compact frame. Basic gun as Wilson's go. Great shooter, and it's on my belt as I type.

Earlier this year I also picked up a used Ed Brown Kobra CArry. all in all, probably the best of the batch quality and feature wise.

To me, I like the guns I sent in to be worked on better. I have more attachment to them, because I am intimately familiar with them. I feel like I have 'made them my own'.
    I feel this way even more for some of the 1911's and Ruger .22's I have where I did most or all of the work on them myself. They are cherished more than a higher end gun I simply bought.
    blitzburgh and deadguy like this.
    NRA Life Member

just for the record the 2 you see up there were built to be carried. They both see the inside of my pants on a regular basis.

A fellow could do a lot worse than get an unfooled-with 1946-1969 Colt Government Model. Classic Colt quality, well-mannered, reliable.

I've been playing with this 1947 example for just a little less than a year now. Wow! Fabulous workmanship, accurate and dependable. Everything one could want in a serious .45 and from the original manufacturer.
    gasmitty, deadguy, OD* and 1 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

that's a beautiful specimen

Just my opinion; but Wilson and Brown are the kings of the 1911 world. You could also look at Nighthawk (built by Bill Wilson as well).
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links