How many are necessary?

This is a discussion on How many are necessary? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want one of each. But I keep having to start over as I keep ending up in an unfortunate boating accident....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: How many are necessary?

Distinguished Member
    I want one of each. But I keep having to start over as I keep ending up in an unfortunate boating accident.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Guns are like potato chips--ya can't settle for just one! You can never have too many guns or too much ammo.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Well, I hunt game, varmints and fowl. That adds up to a number of weapons. I target shoot as well, pistol and rifle. That adds up to a number of weapons. I also carry for self defense. That adds up to a few. I have different weapons depending on the weather and how I dress.

I guess I'm curious. Do you only have seven shirts and seven pairs of pants? If you live alone do you only have one plate and one fork?

Your question seems to imply that owning more than one gun is an issue of some sort. Is there a purpose for needing to know how many guns I own?

And I don't like you implying that I have a 'tin foil hat'. Mine is made of cast aluminum with non-stick coating on the inside because I don't believe in taking chances with protection.
    1MoreGoodGuy, bmcgilvray and OD* like this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I am we'll satisfied with what I have, but that is only until I pick up my latest gun magazine, visit my LGS or see what other folks on this forum have purchased and I don't have one like it.
    Glhadiator and LouisianaMan like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I have a lot. More handguns than rifles, and more rifles than shotguns. Each serves a purpose or I just plain like it. I'm glad we live in America and I don't have to take a minimalist approach to my firearms.
    miller_man and Glhadiator like this.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

What do I think about a "minimalist" approach to firearms ownership? Fine, so long as that works for the person.

Myself, I wasn't introduced to handguns until later, so my method was to cycle through a variety of different ones in order to seek what works and what didn't, learning on my own. Which meant, I had a variety of weapons at any given time. Has worked for me. To each his own.

I'm all for a small "collection." Among other things, finding the "right" one early on would have meant I could have avoided a drawer full of holsters. In my case, though, it meant sampling the wares of a variety of holster makers. Pros/cons.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's the same question I ask The Boss everytime she walks in with a new pair of shoes.
    daddysgirl likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I want to at least be a minimalist (rifle, shotgun, auto pistol & revolver), but it's too hard...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

You should have as many guns as you want and can afford to pay for.
    miller_man and Glhadiator like this.

I've always considered myself frugal but I have thought about just having 1 of each. I do want a shotgun for home defense but I don't really see the need for a rifle since I don't hunt. This will probably change once the cash starts coming in! ( almost one year in the workforce)

Re: How many are necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    Well, I hunt game, varmints and fowl. That adds up to a number of weapons. I target shoot as well, pistol and rifle. That adds up to a number of weapons. I also carry for self defense. That adds up to a few. I have different weapons depending on the weather and how I dress.

I guess I'm curious. Do you only have seven shirts and seven pairs of pants? If you live alone do you only have one plate and one fork?

Your question seems to imply that owning more than one gun is an issue of some sort. Is there a purpose for needing to know how many guns I own?

And I don't like you implying that I have a 'tin foil hat'. Mine is made of cast aluminum with non-stick coating on the inside because I don't believe in taking chances with protection.
    I don't care how many you have. I believe I addressed that in my OP. My apologies if you took the question personally, for some odd reason. My question was meant to broached the subject of an individuals approach toward the number of firearms they currently or hope to have. I don't care specifically how many. Just the thought process behind it. Call it curiosity if you will, but it was by no means a personal attack on anyone.

Why do you want to know how many pants I have? That's just weird.

And, I have four hammers, 32 forks of various sizes, and 16 plates....the plates being all of the same make and model. Did you buy 16 of the same gun? Or just several to match your different pants?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

GH
    One gun is necessary. As many as you can afford is better, though. You can never have "enough" guns. A shooter can always rationalize the purchase of a new gun.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Only if you can convince the wife or husband ( we have a lot of female type shooters here ) that you need it.

GH
    A good man can always rationalize, Tony, lol. Gotta admit that not much gets past my wife so I'm one that has a problem doing that.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I want one of each. But I keep having to start over as I keep ending up in an unfortunate boating accident.
    they don't make them boats like they used to

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links