How many are necessary?

This is a discussion on How many are necessary? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat they don't make them boats like they used to I know. I don't know what it is but I just can't ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: How many are necessary?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    they don't make them boats like they used to
    I know. I don't know what it is but I just can't seem to keep things from falling overboard. Fortunately I have been able to keep myself from doing so.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    One gun is necessary. As many as you can afford is better, though. You can never have "enough" guns. A shooter can always rationalize the purchase of a new gun.
    Rationalizing right now

I have a rifle (SKS) as my zombie gun. When the SHTF, I will use this to defend my home and family.

I have a shotgun (12g Mossberg pump) for home defense in the bedroom.

I have a SIG P2022 .40 cal. for EDC and home defense (on me all the time).

The wife has a .38 Special for EDC and home defense (on her all the time).

The boy has a .22 for learning the basics (in his room - no ammo).

That's my minimum and where I'm at right now. New guns will be aquired as needed or for fun, but right now, I'm set and satisfied.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

What, you think there is some kind of limit? Get real.

Six are vital (2 shotguns, 2 rifles, and 2 handguns).

Any number above six may not be vital, but is certainly necessary. In fact, whether you have one gun or 5000, all are necessary.

This is a Liberal-istic trick to find out about my excessive stash of weapons and ammunition. Pardon me will I wrap my head in heavy-duty tin foil and think about baseball.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Guns? Like access bob, all mine were lost in a boating accident. ;)
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    What, you think there is some kind of limit? Get real.

Six are vital (2 shotguns, 2 rifles, and 2 handguns).

Any number above six may not be vital, but is certainly necessary. In fact, whether you have one gun or 5000, all are necessary.
    I used to think like most anti's when hearing of someone getting arrested and having lots of guns and ammo. I used to wonder why would one need all of that. I have since come to the realization that it isn't that they are needed (although a good quantity of ammo is needed as it doesn't take long to go through it at the range). It can totally be just because you like them and appreciate the attributes each uniquely brings to the table. I really do want to have one each of them all. I have a huge list that will ultimately go unfulfilled because I don't have an unlimited supply of money. There are so many that are out there that have unique qualities that I would like to experience and appreciate as one of my own. I am not interested in building up an "arsenal" as it would be called by the "unbiased" <cough, cough, sputter, sputter> media. I am no different than those who collect thousands of stamps, or coins, or commemorative spoons. I want to collect guns. It is cool.

But those who do not share my passion and want to portray me as "evil" and "twisted" would that I not have such a collection simply because they consider them dangerous. They do not understand. And each time someone who has acquired a large number of guns goes off the deep end and shoots someone, it undermines my hobby. I wish that everyone could live in peace together, but the problem is that humans are involved and they have shortcomings and problems which spill over to others. It has been that way throughout time and will continue until the end of time. In the meantime, I am going to try to enjoy my chosen hobby and hope that it isn't curtailed by those, frankly I have to call them idiots, who don't understand that their Utopia will never exist even should they find some way to eliminate all guns.

Sorry, had to get that all off my chest.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    "How many are necessary?" Does it really matter?
    BenGoodLuck, Glhadiator and OD* like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Not too long ago I didn't understand why someone would want a mess of guns. A couple of pistols, a shotgun, a rifle, that made sense to me. Then my son started collecting & had a different reason for wanting each one he has. Then I got my CWP and got my pistol. Now I consider it my first pistol because I want a backup. And I want to get a shotgun for home defense. And I want to get a rifle or two because I really love shooting them. And I want to get a 22 of some sort to start teaching my younger son how to shoot as well as the hubby. And I want to get a pistol customized like the top one in my avatar just because it is a sexy gun. And....and....and......

It all makes sense now!

VIP Member
    However many it takes to get the job done!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Depends I guess, I'm a hunter & a gun guy. I know gun guys that don't hunt. I know hunters that own one shotgun or one rifle or one of both.

So when someone is a gun guy & a hunter, well you just can NEVER have enough guns!

When CC became law here in Kansas in '07 my hunting buddies & I didn't have to run out & buy "A" CC handgun, we already had 'em.

But....I'm proud to say we all "rushed out" & bought new CC handgun(s) anyway.
    daddysgirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    my mind is stuck on work I have to do on the car. Which I didn't do when it was in the 50's so now i have to crawl under it while its in the 30's. Oooops
    Been there and done that and it sucks.

I have guns for carry and home defence. And others I use at our club shoots. But guns to guys are like jewelry and shoes to women. You can never have to many.

I have different hammers for different jobs.

I have different screwdrivers for different jobs.

I have different tools for different jobs.

Every so often, someone in my community of family, friends, neighbors or acquaintances comes to me and needs to borrow one of my tools.

We often use these tools to help make our community and our homes better and safer.

We use these tools to build our community.

I like knowing that I have tools that others can use to help make our community better and safer.

A gun is a tool, just like a hammer or a screwdriver is a tool.

One day, God forbid, the people in my community might need to protect what we built.

I like knowing that I have tools that could help us accomplish that task.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Re: How many are necessary?

Lots of good answers here...some hilarious one too! Lmao!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links