How many are necessary? - Page 4

How many are necessary?

This is a discussion on How many are necessary? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tell you what, neighbor, if you are in the NE area of Nebraska, gimme a shout....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: How many are necessary?

Tell you what, neighbor, if you are in the NE area of Nebraska, gimme a shout.

mkh
    I buy guns for a purpose and try not to duplicate too much.

But my main approach has been to buy guns for each of the major calibers I could scavenge in the event of a collapse. For example our groups carry 5.56 and most foreign troops that we are likely to have to deal with use 7.62x39. Therefore I have an AR and an AK. Same goes for pistol calibers.

I maintain a variety of firearms, mostly to teach with. I prefer, and am most proficient with 1911's, and I have more of them than any other platform. I do reload for all five of my handgun calibers, and my three rifle calibers. All my tools are not located in the same place.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I have an 'Armory', or a 'Stockpile' depending on which media outlet you ask (or at least I used to before the boating accident.)

I have, err, I mean had , a carry pistol, shotgun, hunting rifle (aka Sniper Rifle), and a .22 rifle. I don't think it's that many.
    I would say that I could use 'just a few more' to round out my collection: A .22 pistol for plinking and lots of practice time for little $$, and a black rifle (AR or AK style) for SHTF scenarios.

Re: How many are necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Tell you what, neighbor, if you are in the NE area of Nebraska, gimme a shout.
    PM'ed

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

My primary why of thinking is MORE is better than LESS ,,, I buy what I LIKE
    problem is,,,,, I LIKE EVERY KIND OF GUN MADE.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    I don't care how many you have. I believe I addressed that in my OP. My apologies if you took the question personally, for some odd reason. My question was meant to broached the subject of an individuals approach toward the number of firearms they currently or hope to have. I don't care specifically how many. Just the thought process behind it. Call it curiosity if you will, but it was by no means a personal attack on anyone.

Why do you want to know how many pants I have? That's just weird.

And, I have four hammers, 32 forks of various sizes, and 16 plates....the plates being all of the same make and model. Did you buy 16 of the same gun? Or just several to match your different pants?

Since using a metaphor was too much for you to grasp I will just spell it out: It doesn't matter. Just as it doesn't matter how many clothes or plates a person has.

And I did answer your query about the number of guns I own. Perhaps you should reread my post. And if your going to ask someone a question I think that it is rude to reply to their answer in the manner you did. (See above quote in bold.)

Taking your post in a personal manner isn't the point. Discussing how many guns I own and equating that to mine or someone elses 'mentality' was your pointed question. Yeah I got that in your post. You may have noticed that no one has yet to answer your question of how that equates to their mentality.

The anti-gun crowd out there believe that one gun is too many. That owning even one gun means that it will turn us all into killers because it is the gun that kills. Using that logic means wanting to own a gun puts a persons mental state into question. We who believe and defend our 2A right deal with this type of illogical argument on an almost daily basis. That isn't paranoia, or wearing a tinfoil hat, it's fact.

This is an open forum. Anyone can create an account. Aside from an avatar and a nickname I don't know who anyone on here really is. Just as no one really knows who I am. Am I careful about some subjects that I am willing to discuss on an open public forum? Of course I am. I have found numerous instances where anti-gun people have copied stuff from gun forums and used it to fuel their agenda.

I accept your apology. I doubt you meant any kind of harm to anyone on this forum. And I am always willing to engage in intelligent and informed discussions concerning guns. But for me there are some discussions that aren't going to happen on a open public forum.
    OD* and Pukindog12 like this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Administrator
    I'm a minimalist in what I keep out and one hand for use. Rifle, shotgun and a couple of handguns. The rest is packed away in storage that are viewed as investment pieces that don't see the light of day.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Re: How many are necessary?

I did grasp your metaphor. It was not difficult to understand. However, I did take it as sarcastic and snide. I decided to respond in kind. The issue with the written word is that the intended voice is not always clear.

I believe some read too much into what I was asking. This was not a 2A debate. I am not some liberal that is looking for fuel for a fire. What I was looking for was the thought process behind it or benefits therein. Some examples are: having several to familiarize yourself with several types and calibers, or, having just a few to become proficient with specifically. Perhaps my inquiry was poorly worded as I did not elaborate on my thoughts behind the question.

You are correct however, no harm was intended and I do apologize for the misunderstanding.

'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Necessary is quite a relative term. Necessary to one person may not be necessary to another. As far as carry goes, I'm very much a minimalist. Guns that I carry are all the same same caliber, 9x19 luger. As far as the total owned is another story. I find guns, all types(hangun, rifles, shotguns, etc..), extremely fascinating. AND, because of an event on Nov. 6th, the value of my pieces will only go up!
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

I had all I wanted until I went to the Pawn shop yesterday and fondled that .45 ACP Colt Revolver.

I'm pretty minimal. I put my limit at 2. 1 for my EDC (new PPS) and 1 that stays home in the safe should my wife need to use it when I'm not home (M&P Compact). Anything else is just unnecessary for me. I'd rather spend my extra money on ammo and accessories than more guns.

How Many?

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Don't know how many is enough, because I haven't yet reached that mile marker on my journey. I know I need another gun safe though...LOL
    Everytime I think I am getting close to enough something else pops up. Another gun safe will get me closer but, I doubt that will be the end of the collection. Ed B

"How many are necessary?" depends on a host of factors. In my case, how I have to dress during the work week dictates handguns that can be carried with discretion. On the weekend, I have more latitude in how I dress, and thus how I can conceal. While on duty, there is yet another set of factors, like the possible need to shoot through barriers like auto glass. At home, I need to consider what guns my wife can use while I'm not there.

So - different tools for different roles. I do not have the finances to buy guns "just because I want them," so each one is purchased only after careful consideration of the job it has to do.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links