How many are necessary?

How many are necessary?

This is a discussion on How many are necessary? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We don't need exact figures or amounts. I know that some of you are very protective and secretive about what you have, tin foil and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: How many are necessary?

How many are necessary?

We don't need exact figures or amounts. I know that some of you are very protective and secretive about what you have, tin foil and all. I'll even go as far as saying many of them are impressive collections. However, How many of you have a minimalist type attitude toward owning firearms? Have a few that you are very proficient with? I saw someone mention the other day that they have 1 handgun, 1 shotgun, and 1 rifle. This is what I mean. Each serves a purpose...simple. And, what do you all think about this mentality?

(I also belong to other forums. If you do, you may also see this posted there as well. Under the same screen name. So, don't get all annoyed about it. Different forums have a different feel and a differing set of ideas.)
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

I have a number of handguns, and due to my practical nature, I can offer a different reason for owning (or at least not selling) each of them. It's tough for me to say "just because I like it".

I have different calibers. When money is tight i can buy 100 rounds of .22 and head to the range

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I've never thought about it in terms of how many are enough. I have a few that I use as carry weapons, a few that are collectibles, some that are there for other purposes such as varmint eradication, a self-defense argument or two in the collection ...... for me it's not about how many or what's necessary, but the fact that I like guns, see their purpose and value from a multitude of perspectives, and buy what I want for the reasons I want any particular gun.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

When I have all the ones I want it will be enough. Variety is the spice of life. I have some that get shot more than others, some that collect dust and some that ride with me daily. Need? Probably one of each like was stated above, but who wants to only provide for their needs?
    Sarge65 and Yetiman like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Weapons and ammo, more is better. You can always move some if you need to . But you won't get more when you need to.

My opinions:

1. The most important firearm is a concealable handgun. In normal, day-to-day living, it is your primary defensive sidearm. It can be your home defense. In most emergency scenarios throughout history, carrying long guns has been unnecessary, but carrying a concealed handgun has been increasingly desirable. Extended power outages, riots, earthquakes, storms, etc-- any situation where disruption is temporary, but emergency services are stretched-- increases the value of a concealed carry handgun, without pushing into "carry a go-to-war rifle".

2. "Two is one, one is none". The second most important is a second handgun, so that you have a carry option if your primary is removed from the equation.

3. A utilitarian and long term carry capable long gun. Something you can employ in the event that horror is unleashed. Extreme violent outbreaks, war at home, etc-- all of the extremely unlikely stuff.

Beyond that are hobby implements. Hunting tools, competition platforms, etc.

My 'bare minimum' is two handguns. I consider food, water, first aid, and other considerations to be more practical than a long gun, for preparation purposes. Once a certain level of readiness in those areas is covered, a long gun becomes a better buy.

This is from the perspective of strict practicality, and doesn't address purely recreational buys. If disposable income is in play, there are a lot of reasons to buy lots of toys :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    I have different calipers. When money is tight i can buy 100 rounds of .22 and head to the range
    I think you mean calibers. Sorry, I had to.
    daddysgirl likes this.

Hey some people prefer digital, some don't!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'm happy with what I have...but there is always room for more.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    I think you mean calibers. Sorry, I had to.
    my mind is stuck on work I have to do on the car. Which I didn't do when it was in the 50's so now i have to crawl under it while its in the 30's. Oooops

Distinguished Member
    it is subjective. How much money is necessary for you to make each year? I almost have 1 of each type of gun that I want, this year I'm going to be doubling those - 2=1. Is this "necessary"? Again, subjective.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

The absolute minimum I would want would be a Glock 19 and an AR. However, I would be more comfortable with a minimum of a couple of a couple of 9mm Glocks, an AR, a 12 gauge shotgun, and a .22 rifle.

Anything after that would be just cause I want em.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

I am pretty minimalist in my firearm owning philosophy in that I don't own anything that doesn't serve a roll or fill a niche. So, as an example, I wouldn't own a PM9 and a PF9 as they serve the same roll as small EDC semi auto. I also wouldn't own 2 1911's. Unless of course I found a super spectacular deal that I wasn't able to pass up. I do however own both a AK47 and a AR-15. The AR is setup with a adjustable 3x9 scope optic for medium to long range. My AK is setup with a red dot for close range.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Don't know how many is enough, because I haven't yet reached that mile marker on my journey. I know I need another gun safe though...LOL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links