.45 gap accurate?

.45 gap accurate?

This is a discussion on .45 gap accurate? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just installed a set of Pro-Sights on a G37 chambered in .45 GAP… To be honest, I never really knew what GAP it filled. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By multistage

Thread: .45 gap accurate?

Sponsor

Lightbulb .45 gap accurate?

I just installed a set of Pro-Sights on a G37 chambered in .45 GAP…

To be honest, I never really knew what GAP it filled. But if you think bigger is better (diameter wise) then I guess it makes sense. That and it fits into a G17 size frame. Anyway, I sighted the gun in at 12 yards so the bullet would hit at 12:00 on the dot (the TOP of the DOT). I then went back to 25 yards to tweak the windage.

Much to my amazement, I shot a 1” group from a rest. WOW!

I thought, well, that’s only three shots, maybe I just got lucky. So, I shot another 3 shot group. This time it was 1.5” center to center. Probably more like it, but still VERY impressive for an off the shelf gun.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

45 GAP 2.jpg
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

VIP Member
    I've played around with it a few times, mostly to scratch the curiosity itch, nothing scientific. It always grouped well and was on par with my capabilities with other calibers.

I suppose if you just HAVE to have a .45 in a smaller framed Glock, .45GAP is the way to go. Other than that, I see it as little more than a novelty round. Perhaps I just haven't found the problem that only THAT caliber can solve.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

In general, guns & calibers aren't accurate. Shooters are accurate. If you're pulling 1-1.5" 3 shot groups at 25 yards, you're having a very, very good day. Congrats & well done!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsor
    I know I can do that sorta shooting with some of the Custom Match 1911 & 2011's I build (from a rest), but this really blew my mind. I mean, a Glock? In 45 GAP??

Maybe it's fluke, I dunno, but this G-Lock really shoots!
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

A guy I work with has a 37.

Uh, yeah. It's accurate. Very. He doesn't shoot much, but I do. He was a bit grouchy that I outshot him with his own gun. But then told me he hasn't shot it in over a year. It was laying 'em in there. Good cartridge.

Sponsor

Question

I'm still amazed that this short [READ: FAT] cartridge is so accurate...

Or is it just an anomaly?

I mean I'm talking Remington factory BALL rounds here...

www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    I just installed a set of Pro-Sights on a G37 chambered in .45 GAP…

To be honest, I never really knew what GAP it filled. But if you think bigger is better (diameter wise) then I guess it makes sense. That and it fits into a G17 size frame. Anyway, I sighted the gun in at 12 yards so the bullet would hit at 12:00 on the dot (the TOP of the DOT). I then went back to 25 yards to tweak the windage.

Much to my amazement, I shot a 1” group from a rest. WOW!

I thought, well, that’s only three shots, maybe I just got lucky. So, I shot another 3 shot group. This time it was 1.5” center to center. Probably more like it, but still VERY impressive for an off the shelf gun.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

45 GAP 2.jpg
    Few years back I owned the Glock 37, full-Gap. It was a great gun and YES extremely accurate with less recoil than a 45acp I thought. I had to trade it though when the ammo went beyond my means; I don't reload and have not the space where I live. Too Bad, I really liked that gun and round. My State Police use it. One time I know it was used: female cop stopped a felon, one shot, dead.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

My State Police use it. One time I know it was used: female cop stopped a felon, one shot, dead.
    AMEN!!!!

I love a story with a happy ending...

www.TacticalShooting.com

I'd be interested in one if it wasn't such a spendy date.

My 357 SIG fetish keeps me plenty broke as it is.
    DRM likes this.

Sponsored Links