.45 gap accurate?

This is a discussion on .45 gap accurate? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just installed a set of Pro-Sights on a G37 chambered in .45 GAP… To be honest, I never really knew what GAP it filled. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By multistage

Thread: .45 gap accurate?

Sponsor

Lightbulb .45 gap accurate?

I just installed a set of Pro-Sights on a G37 chambered in .45 GAP…

To be honest, I never really knew what GAP it filled. But if you think bigger is better (diameter wise) then I guess it makes sense. That and it fits into a G17 size frame. Anyway, I sighted the gun in at 12 yards so the bullet would hit at 12:00 on the dot (the TOP of the DOT). I then went back to 25 yards to tweak the windage.

Much to my amazement, I shot a 1” group from a rest. WOW!

I thought, well, that’s only three shots, maybe I just got lucky. So, I shot another 3 shot group. This time it was 1.5” center to center. Probably more like it, but still VERY impressive for an off the shelf gun.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

45 GAP 2.jpg
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've played around with it a few times, mostly to scratch the curiosity itch, nothing scientific. It always grouped well and was on par with my capabilities with other calibers.

I suppose if you just HAVE to have a .45 in a smaller framed Glock, .45GAP is the way to go. Other than that, I see it as little more than a novelty round. Perhaps I just haven't found the problem that only THAT caliber can solve.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

In general, guns & calibers aren't accurate. Shooters are accurate. If you're pulling 1-1.5" 3 shot groups at 25 yards, you're having a very, very good day. Congrats & well done!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsor
    I know I can do that sorta shooting with some of the Custom Match 1911 & 2011's I build (from a rest), but this really blew my mind. I mean, a Glock? In 45 GAP??

Maybe it's fluke, I dunno, but this G-Lock really shoots!
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

A guy I work with has a 37.

Uh, yeah. It's accurate. Very. He doesn't shoot much, but I do. He was a bit grouchy that I outshot him with his own gun. But then told me he hasn't shot it in over a year. It was laying 'em in there. Good cartridge.

Sponsor

Question

I'm still amazed that this short [READ: FAT] cartridge is so accurate...

Or is it just an anomaly?

I mean I'm talking Remington factory BALL rounds here...

www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    I just installed a set of Pro-Sights on a G37 chambered in .45 GAP…

To be honest, I never really knew what GAP it filled. But if you think bigger is better (diameter wise) then I guess it makes sense. That and it fits into a G17 size frame. Anyway, I sighted the gun in at 12 yards so the bullet would hit at 12:00 on the dot (the TOP of the DOT). I then went back to 25 yards to tweak the windage.

Much to my amazement, I shot a 1” group from a rest. WOW!

I thought, well, that’s only three shots, maybe I just got lucky. So, I shot another 3 shot group. This time it was 1.5” center to center. Probably more like it, but still VERY impressive for an off the shelf gun.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

45 GAP 2.jpg
    Few years back I owned the Glock 37, full-Gap. It was a great gun and YES extremely accurate with less recoil than a 45acp I thought. I had to trade it though when the ammo went beyond my means; I don't reload and have not the space where I live. Too Bad, I really liked that gun and round. My State Police use it. One time I know it was used: female cop stopped a felon, one shot, dead.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

My State Police use it. One time I know it was used: female cop stopped a felon, one shot, dead.
    AMEN!!!!

I love a story with a happy ending...

www.TacticalShooting.com

I'd be interested in one if it wasn't such a spendy date.

My 357 SIG fetish keeps me plenty broke as it is.
    DRM likes this.

Links