S&W Shield question. Looking for advice

This is a discussion on S&W Shield question. Looking for advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have test fired the Shield in 9mm and absolutely love the gun. The local gun shop has one in .40cal that I can buy ...

Thread: S&W Shield question. Looking for advice

S&W Shield question. Looking for advice

I have test fired the Shield in 9mm and absolutely love the gun. The local gun shop has one in .40cal that I can buy tomorrow if I want. I put a deposit down on a 9mm. If I want the 9mm it will be a two month wait. My two questions are 1. For those who have fired both, how much snappier is the .40cal? 2. Should I get the .40cal or wait for the 9mm. Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

2. Remove Ads

I have both the 9 and .40 and find that both of them are easy to shoot. I do not have any problem with the recoil of the .40 vs the 9mm. In side by side range testing I have been able to shoot equally well with either caliber both in group size and followup shot time. Will probably still carry the .40 as punching a bit larger holes just makes me feel better.

I have had some problems with the .40 Shield as noted in some of my post on this forum. S&W has fixed every issue I had free of charge and quickly (within 2 weeks each time). I have as yet not had any issues with the 9mm but have had it for only a week. I have had the .40 since mid June.

Best I can tell you is to get your hands on a .40, shoot it, and make up your own mind.

Yup.

If I can see a noticeable difference in recoil from my 229 Elite 9mm to my 229 E2 40, which I certainly can, I can only imagine that is amplified in a smaller platform like the Shield.

Been waiting on a 9 for five weeks.

My Shield in 40 is the tamest 40 cal, i have shot

Its my favorite ccw
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I kept watching gunsamerica and bought this one,

SMITH&WESSON M&P Shield 9mm for sale (975736275)

9 has a great advantage over 40 to me, cost of ammunition.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

I believe you would love either. I first found a 40 but wanted a 9. Almost kicked myself for passing it up, but to my luck the same local shop got a 9 a month later when i came in. Msrp but well worth every penny. Want to add a 40 to my list soon though!

I own the 9mm Shield and have fired several thousand rounds through it. It is ome of the most comfortable to shoot and accurate small guns I have owned and shot. I would consider a 40, and would purchase a 9mm barrel and mags. I have heard from others that it works fine. That would be the best of both worlds.

Get what you really want. There have been problems with the 40 magazine dropping out while shooting. If you want the 9 either search on line or wait for it.

Distinguished Member
    I was firing my wife's 9mm Shield at the range and another guy had the .40. Frankly for me I didn't feel a difference in recoil. It was all sweet. Love the shield and will eventually get one for myself as well. My M&P40c works well for me so I don't need to rush and will likely wait until the price has stabilized and supply has gotten a little better. I love the M&P's.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Get the .40. You can convert it to 9mm and have the best of both worlds.
    Converted my Shield .40 to 9mm

If you already have a 9mm and 40S&W would be a new caliber for you to buy I'd wait for the 9mm.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have a shield in .40. Yes, there is a definite difference in recoil compared to any 9mm that I've ever fired....but that's exactly what you'd expect. I don't find that the shield has excessive recoil, that it's objectionable, or that it takes an excessive amount of time to get back on target. YMMV.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I got the .40cal this morning. Of course I had to run to the range before coming back to work. I put 100 rounds through it. Although I do notice more recoil than the 9mm it is much less than what
    I was expecting. This gun is a pleasure to shoot. After work I'm going to run 200 rounds of defense ammo through it and if all goes well it will be my new carry gun. I'm going to test the 155gr Speer Gold Dot as I got a good deal on 300 rounds of it. Does this sound like a good carry round for the Shield?

Quote Originally Posted by The Haig View Post
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I got the .40cal this morning. Of course I had to run to the range before coming back to work. I put 100 rounds through it. Although I do notice more recoil than the 9mm it is much less than what
    I was expecting. This gun is a pleasure to shoot. After work I'm going to run 200 rounds of defense ammo through it and if all goes well it will be my new carry gun. I'm going to test the 155gr Speer Gold Dot as I got a good deal on 300 rounds of it. Does this sound like a good carry round for the Shield?

First, congrats on the new gun. Gold dots are a good carry round. However, and this is a personal choice, I prefer the 180 gr. bullets for the following reasons: first, to me they actually have less felt recoil and snappiness than the lighter bullets, and secondly although they are initially slower than the lighter bullets especially in a short barrel, they maintain speed more consistently from what I've read. This is the same reason I carry 147 gr. bullets in 9mm.

Good call.....

Time for you to get into reloading, if you havent

It will save you mucho money with bullets from Missouri Bullet

My M&P loves it
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Links