Small 9mm or .380? - Page 4

Small 9mm or .380?

This is a discussion on Small 9mm or .380? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gun1 Because the IWB holster I have leaves the grip above the belt and it leaves a large bulge in my waistline ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Small 9mm or .380?

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    Because the IWB holster I have leaves the grip above the belt and it leaves a large bulge in my waistline = might as well open carry

If you have any ideas on a holster that will ride lower I'd be open to the idea. However, the next obstacle is access. A lot of my pockets don't allow very quick retrieval of my M&P40 compact even with the flush mag. Getting access from below the belt I can see being problematic. I'd rather have my bulge in my pocket than along my waistline. My pockets bulge all the time anyway, so not much new there.

Which that is how I practice at the range - the flush mag because that is the configuration I carry it in, even though I have the full 15 round mag and X-grip (makes the compact an even better shooter - if you have a compact get one!) The flush mag is the only one I would pocket carry the .40 with, the extended mags (pinky extension or full 15r/x-grip) just make the gun that much taller. The 15 round mag would be good as a re-load, but not on the gun for carry. What I hate about changing up configurations is muscle memory - if I am tuned in to one set up and change it I loose some of the muscle memory that I got tuned in to. That makes it hard practicing on .22's and trying to dial in .40's
    Ok, I see now. Unfortunately, no specific holster comes to mind. This is why people end up with a box o holsters.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I own an LCP, Kahr P380 and the PM9. I have shot the PM40. The PM9 is much more comfortable to shoot than the PM40. As for concealability, the LCP is best of all, especially for pocket carry. I've also shot the Sig 238-very nice to shoot, great trigger but with the safety, you'd obviously need it in a pocket holster. With the format of the LCP and PM or CM9, you can be more comfortable just pocket carrying. Relability has been great (for me) with all of the above mentioned pistols. Others have had issues with Kahrs.
    You have a lot of good choices, just now to decide on the one for you!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I'm surprised the Walther PPS in 9mm (or .40 S&W) hasn't been suggested yet, so I will.

I bought one four years ago and it's a fine handgun in every way -- accurate, easy to shoot well and uber reliable with any fmj/jhp ammo I've fed it.

Do some checking and you'll find the PPS is one of the most respected handguns on the various internet gun forums.

Take a look at one while you're shopping OP.

Here's a pic of mine with an 8 rd mag. BTW, go at least 9mm, forget the .380. Good luck.

sioux565 and Caertaker like this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    mulle46 A m&p40c ain't a pocket gun and not even a great choice for tucked shirts only. How about looking at the sheild 40 , kt p11, pps and cw or p kahrs for a better iwb piece. For the pocket think db9, pf-9, cm9 or 40 maybe. Depends on paints and how much printing you can deal with cause they do still print. I iwb a kahr cw9 in a comp-tac minotaur neutral set high just in front of my front pocket, 2:10 possition and do that in a loose t-shirt or tucked shirt. I pocket a cm9. But any other cc guy would know its there.

If you got to have a 380 get a taurus tcp 380 . 10oz and newer series feed and shoot about anything . We have two in the family and so far every HP ammo runs great and run 6 different brands. Just get a pocket holster that fits the pistol well so it does not get lost in a pocket.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    The OP mentions that he/she carries in front pocket because of wearing tucked in shirts. I carry a 9mm (M&P 9c) very comfortably and with good concealment using the Supertuck holster (Crossbreed) which allows space to tuck in a shirt. I definitely prefer the extra stopping power of the full 9mm over the 9 "kurz" (.380). If holstering is the issue, check out the supertuck or similar and consider a round with a bit more power would be my suggestion.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

I just looked at the Supertuck holster. I also threw my M&P40c in my IWB holster and tried to tuck my shirt around the gun - didn't work. My shirt is outside my waistline where the clip is to attach the holster to my jeans. I don't see that the Supertuck is any different.

The only place I can see really concealing my M&P40c is on my inner thigh, left of where my right front pocket is. If I put the gun in my pocket my pocket bulges a ton, which I can deal with in some scenarios. Others no.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    I'm surprised the Walther PPS in 9mm (or .40 S&W) hasn't been suggested yet, so I will.

I bought one four years ago and it's a fine handgun in every way -- accurate, easy to shoot well and uber reliable with any fmj/jhp ammo I've fed it.

Do some checking and you'll find the PPS is one of the most respected handguns on the various internet gun forums.

Take a look at one while you're shopping OP.

Here's a pic of mine with an 8 rd mag. BTW, go at least 9mm, forget the .380. Good luck.

Fine looking gun right there!

StarPD45
    @Chevy-SS
    Thanks for the mousegun link. I used to have it bookmarked, but lost it somehow.

Here's my 2cents. I think anything is better than nothing . I see over and over the argument over this caliber vs that caliber, this weight bullet vs that weight but when it comes down to it anything you have will be better than nothing . The whole idea behind defending yourself being with a handgun, knife, ball bat is to use as much force necessary to stop the threat . With this said I spent over a decade in LE and have seen things you would not believe . One of the strangest one was two drunk guys in an alley shooting at each other. One had a 25 cal pocket pistol, shot the other in the forehead and his skull stopped the bullet. The point is ( it stopped the fight ) the other had a 32 acp and a trash can lid ......:( so my answer is what ever you choose it's better than nothing .....just my opinion . I like my 9mm Nano but would not hesitate to use my S&W 2213
    steffen likes this.

If you got the 40c. The shield should compliment your 40c. For lighter and easier carry.

My .38 snubbie is my BUG, but lately I've been considering a DB9 to share the role.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    My preferred carry position is in my front right pocket of my jeans. I wear shirts tucked in every day so in-waist band carry is out of the question for daily carry. Aside from "every day" carry I can find a place in a coat pocket, or even at that point I could throw my .40 in a holster on my belt. In the end, I need an easily carried pocket gun.

when i am pocket carrying (right front pocket) - i avoid jeans, choosing Docker-style pants instead. i feel it takes too long to access the gun when wearing jeans, as it takes me some contorting to get the gun out. my pocket guns are a Kahr CM-9 and a S&W 642 (a J-frame revolver). a friend, who usually wears jeans, carried an LCP/.380 in his right front pocket for a while, but has returned to his 642 because it's easier to draw. i agree with him in thinking that a small revolver is an easier draw from a front pants pocket. but i can shoot the CM-9 much better than the 642, so it's my usual choice.

why not practice drawing various guns from your carrying pocket and seeing what you like and don't like.

aside from that, i recommend a small 9mm, like my Kahr CM-9 or the fancier PM-9, the Kel Tec PF-9, the Kimber Solo, the Sig 938*, or the Taurus 709Slim. i like the S&W Shield very much, but it's just a bit larger than the aforementioned guns and i suspect it would be too hard to carry/draw in jeans. to me, the Nano and the Sig 290RS are too square and bulky for optimum pocket carry. the LC-9 is a heavier, more expensive copy of the PF-9, but it's a fine choice if you prefer Ruger.

i think you will find that a pocket 9mm is MUCH easier to shoot than the same size gun in .40S&W.

in the small .380's, i like the Ruger LCP and the Sig 238*.

* if you're OK with cocked and locked carry in a pocket gun, which i'm not.
    candalos likes this.

I have no use for 380 when there are so many ccw sized 9's.
    personally, I have a Shield but walther, Kahr and ruger come to mind as three manufacturers who have great 9's for carry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links