First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact? - Page 2

First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact?

This is a discussion on First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the reputation Glick has, but I don't like shooting them. I shoot the M&P well though. I would not hesitate to trust either ...

View Poll Results: For my first carry weapon, should I get a Glock 19 Gen 4, or S&W M&P9c?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19 Gen 4

14 24.14%
  • Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact

44 75.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact?

First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact?

I like the reputation Glick has, but I don't like shooting them. I shoot the M&P well though. I would not hesitate to trust either with my life.

...although I trust my life to H&K. Try the P30 if $ is not a consideration. If it is, go for the S&W. you must shoot your carry gun well. That is the most important.

I rented both at the range and ended up going with the M&P9c myself.

I like the extra capacity of the Glock, but the M&P just fit better in my hand(and my wife's). The fact that it was made in the USA was another nice reason to go with the S&W. It comes with 3 different backstraps which are really easy to change out to get you closer to a perfect fit.

Someone else already mentioned how they multiply... I've already got my eyes on a full size M&P40 and Shield 9MM.

I have both the 9c and 45c - would highly recommend either. I've had no problem other than the white dot in the front sight of the 9c falling out. Little dab of white model paint and its as good as new. Next on the list is the M&P 22 for a little less expensive training.
    The day the music died - Nov 6, 2012

Had Glocks, now have M&p FS and 9c. My 9c is my EDC.

THe M&P's had a issue for a while with some defective striker blocks breaking. I experienced this on one of the two I owned.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Administrator
    Just a side note, the entire striker assembly has been changed since the design was introduced. If you look back far enough, I blasted the M&P over this issue years ago. I'm confident in the new design.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The M&P 9C is a very fine handgun by any measure. Better ergonomics for me than a Glock.

They've been well vetted and are GTG.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and insight. And thanks Rollo and Sixto for commenting on potential issues (now resolved I've found, after speaking with S&W).

I've placed my order for an M&P9c through Quantico Tactical. Local FFL just needs to fax over their paperwork and I should have the gun next week.

Many thanks, again.

As stated in my signature, M&P9c is my EDC. I love it. It was my first carry gun and still is to this day. Go with what fits you best, what you're most proficient. If you don't like it, you won't carry it. Simple. I say, go American, the Smith!
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Didn't vote cuz I couldn't vote. Cuz I'd get a G26 it's more in style when compared to the S&W M&P9c then the G19.

But then you said the M&P9c fits your hand better then the G19 so thar ya go. The G26 fit me better then the M&P9c so that's what I got.

You have to get what fits you best not what someone else THINKS you should get. Because YMWV.....

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I've been carrying the M&P9c for a couple of years now and have put many rounds through it at the range. I love the double stack capacity in a small handgun that still feels comfortable and controllable in my large hands. It has performed flawlessly from day one. I'm sure the Glock is fine but if you get the 9c you will not be disappointed. I should add that it has a nice weight/mass to it and has very little muzzle lift/recoil and can get it back on target quickly.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

I've have owned and shot several different brands over the years. I have just recently gotten my first Glock. If the Smith fits your hand better then that is what I would buy. The only problems I know Glocks and Smiths have is they are really really really good guns....but that's the BG's problem lol

Good luck,
    Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Never so much as a hiccup from my M&P9 Compact. Not to take anything away from Glock. I've shot a few. The M&P just felt so much better in-hand. I'm also a fan of the ambi thumb safety. Some people don't like it. Some do. I also think the M&P has better lines, but that's purely an aesthetic preference.

I know it's cliche, but you can't go wrong with either. The M&P Compact just made my hand happier than the glock and XD did.

M&P9c here. Its my edc. I think the lines of the m&p9c just seem to be smaller than most other guns of its size. And it conceals great under a t shirt in its galco king tuk holster.

I have huge hands, wife got a M&P 9c, she loves it, I can't really manage it very well, like my XDM full size 9. But it is a nice gun, no problems with it yet, probably 200 rounds through it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links