First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact?

This is a discussion on First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry the M&P 45c daily. The M&P platform is a proven winner. SUPERB firearm. Never one issue. I've also owned a glock. Sold it. ...

View Poll Results: For my first carry weapon, should I get a Glock 19 Gen 4, or S&W M&P9c?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19 Gen 4

14 24.14%
  • Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact

44 75.86%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact?

I carry the M&P 45c daily. The M&P platform is a proven winner. SUPERB firearm. Never one issue. I've also owned a glock. Sold it. The Smith fits better in my hand as well. I ampurchasing a 9c for my wife. Enough said.
    Spec likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P for all the right reasons... I don't know how many friends and family who have Glocks that shoot an M&P for the first time and say. "WOW" I shoot this gun alot (emphasis on ALOT) better then i've ever shot my Glock the whole time I've had it. natural point of aim is truly a very important factor people/instructor do not explain in detail enough. The M&P points more true to the human hand in just about every person.

don't listen to anyone on capacity factor either, just get a full size M&P9 magazine and it fits into the compact if you are worried about capacity.

here is a list of M&P's in my shooting community: Two of my friends and Me:(3) M&P40. Dad, Girlfriend, Friend:(3) M&P9compact. Friend, Brother:(2) M&P40compact. Two more of my friends: (2) M&P9. lets not also forget my uncle on the DC Forums "oneshot" M&P.357sig compact.

Also just a heads up if you get the M&P40compact you can get a M&P9 compact barrel from Midway USA.com for around $60. Then you have two guns in one. If you get the M&P9c you can't upgrade to the 40... You can go down but not up so to speak.
    Smith & Wesson Barrel S&W Compact 9mm Luger

Full Size Handgun Concealability - YouTube
    Concealed Carry for a Female - YouTube
    Glock vs M&P - YouTube
    DandLfam likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    M&P for all the right reasons... I don't know how many friends and family who have Glocks that shoot an M&P for the first time and say. "WOW" I shoot this gun alot (emphasis on ALOT) better then i've ever shot my Glock the whole time I've had it. natural point of aim is truly a very important factor people/instructor do not explain in detail enough. The M&P points more true to the human hand in just about every person.

don't listen to anyone on capacity factor either, just get a full size M&P9 magazine and it fits into the compact if you are worried about capacity.

here is a list of M&P's in my shooting community: Two of my friends and Me:(3) M&P40. Dad, Girlfriend, Friend:(3) M&P9compact. Friend, Brother:(2) M&P40compact. Two more of my friends: (2) M&P9. lets not also forget my uncle on the DC Forums "oneshot" M&P.357sig compact.

Also just a heads up if you get the M&P40compact you can get a M&P9 compact barrel from Midway USA.com for around $60. Then you have two guns in one. If you get the M&P9c you can't upgrade to the 40... You can go down but not up so to speak.
    Smith & Wesson Barrel S&W Compact 9mm Luger

Full Size Handgun Concealability - YouTube
    Concealed Carry for a Female - YouTube
    Glock vs M&P - YouTube
    Agree 110%^^

Nice videos Spec keep up the good work, you got yourself a new subscriber. M&P is the Clear Choice.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow59 View Post
    Agree 110%^^

Nice videos Spec keep up the good work, you got yourself a new subscriber. M&P is the Clear Choice.
    Why thank you Shadow. and I try to product good factual videos. too much crap out on youtube that people buy into. Thanks for the subscription!

First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact?

I carry an M&P9c as well. Good gun. As has already been mentioned, look into the Apex DCAEK kit to improve the trigger. (Only if you want. I think the stock trigger is pretty good.) I also picked up a few full sized mags and X-Grip adapters for range time. It also gives you more rounds if you can conceal it well (winter clothes and what-not).

I will also add one more thing. I think that the M&P line has the best ergonomics of any pistol ever made. That being said, I would rather give my self a vasectomy with a rusty spoon than but another S&W product after my last run in with their customer service. Is it always as bad as I encountered? Maybe, Maybe not. But service of the product after the fact is something that I take into considerations regardless of what I am buying. If a company screws the pooch as bad as S&W did multiple times then I am just done with that company.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am a 9mm Glock man myself. But get what suits you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I will also add one more thing. I think that the M&P line has the best ergonomics of any pistol ever made. That being said, I would rather give my self a vasectomy with a rusty spoon than but another S&W product after my last run in with their customer service. Is it always as bad as I encountered? Maybe, Maybe not. But service of the product after the fact is something that I take into considerations regardless of what I am buying. If a company screws the pooch as bad as S&W did multiple times then I am just done with that company.
    Wow you must have had an employee that was looking for a reason to get fired... S&W has always been very nice on the phone when speaking to their customer service. you are the only one I've heard of being treated poorly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links