First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact?

This is a discussion on First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all. I'm conflicted between the choice for my first carry pistol. It'll either be a Glock 19 Gen 4, or a S&W M&P9c. I've ...

View Poll Results: For my first carry weapon, should I get a Glock 19 Gen 4, or S&W M&P9c?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19 Gen 4

14 24.14%
  • Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact

44 75.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First carry choice: Any known issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact?

Hey all.

I'm conflicted between the choice for my first carry pistol. It'll either be a Glock 19 Gen 4, or a S&W M&P9c. I've shot both and handled both as much as I can, and I shoot well with both, but the S&W fits my hands better. But I know the Glock has a reputation and is dependable and reliable, so my main hangup on the S&W is its dependability.

Have you run into any issue with the M&P9c? Or, are there any known issues with the model?

Thanks for any information.

Also, I've added a poll for fun.

2. Remove Ads

M&P series are guns I'd stack up against a Glock or anything else out there.

Keep in mind, they were designed to get Smith a bigger slice of the pie. And they are darn sure doing it.

Reliability is equal between the two. Absolutely superb. Get the one you want. You really can't screw this up.

Can't say for the 9c but i have a m&p45 and a shield 9 and no issues with either. Heard nothing but possitive from other owners as well. Plus smith & wesson has top notch customer service

If the M&P fit you better, then get it. I am biased towards Glock, but no reason to get a gun that did not fit you well. With M&P's being used by more and more law enforcement agencies, they are clearly a good choice.

Distinguished Member
    If your wanting the M&P, do it. You have nothing to worry about in the dependability aspect. Like multistage said, you can't go wrong with either. I have both in 40 cal, both are great. I just prefer the glock for EDC because of the full size grip I get and a couple of other small reasons.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Yeah can't go wrong with either... Your choices here happen to be the 2 guns most recommended when some one asks the obligatory "what's the best carry gun."

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Carried one for several years, would take it over the Shield, until the XD40 sub compact hit the street.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

My EDC is a M&P40c which is the same frame as the 9c. I love it but I actually
    wish I had gone with the 9c instead. Personally I like the griping the M&P much better than the Glocks I've tried.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

M&P Compact is my EDC. I'll tell you what I like about it.

(1) Ergonomics, just fits MY hand like a glove.
    (2) Versatility, get the 40 cal. For $100 more you can add a 9mm barrel and mag. Why choose between 9mm or 40 cal when you can have both.
    (3) Crimson Trace has a great laser for the M&P. Not a clunky rail laser that you probably would not be able to activate in a SD situation.
    (4) Apex tactical has many upgrades to make this good gun GREAT. I'm getting ready to install thier DCAEK and trigger on my second M&P compact.

Just a warning, M&P's multiply in gun safes. Since I added my second compact they look like thier getting ready to spawn a Shield. This is a great platform.

I have a M&P 40c and love it! I have put over 2000 with our a single problem. If you take care of the gun, the gun will take care of you.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    My EDC is a M&P40c which is the same frame as the 9c. I love it but I actually
    wish I had gone with the 9c instead. Personally I like the griping the M&P much better than the Glocks I've tried.
    Midway has the stock 9mm barrel for $70. Add a 9mm mag and now you can shoot 40 cal and 9mm from your M&P. A great SHTF gun, just in case you run out of one type of ammo.

I have two M&P 40 compacts. I load one with 9mm the other with 40 cal and carry both when I need to.

VIP Member
    Not a Glock fan, go with the M&P.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My vote is for the M&P. My EDC is the M&P 40 FS. The reputation, dependability and the reliability between the M&P and I, is great.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Either are greats guns. I went with the M&P over a Glock. Personal preference.

mkh
    I'm a Sig fan but if I was going with a striker fired pistol it would be the M&P.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links