Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me.

This is a discussion on Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always considered myself a ".45 guy" but I think if I had to limit myself to one caliber it would be 9mm. It's way ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me.

I've always considered myself a ".45 guy" but I think if I had to limit myself to one caliber it would be 9mm. It's way cheaper to buy the target rounds and IMO it is a perfectly good SD caliber if loaded with good 124 gr or 147 gr rounds. Also it's the most plentiful ammo on the planet, so in a EOTWAWKI scenario it may be easier to scrounge.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have 45's in my collection and if I had only one caliber to use for self defense that would be the one.this round certainly has been perfected through two World Wars.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    It's not the ammo you shoot, it's how you shoot the ammo you have that counts..just saying if I needed to place 3 rounds in the take down or kill zones quickly I would rather trust my 9mm or even my 380 Hollow Point Personal Defense rounds to be placed on target quickly. Target re-acquisition is not something I do well with a .45
    Hopyard likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I have to agree with your decision. If nothing else it makes life simpler to have as many guns as you want, but in less calibers. 45 is my choice round as well.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

I've debated this same issue for some time...... I currently reload 38spl, 357mag, 9mm, 45acp and 45 Colt. I agree with what you say and I also prefer to shoot 45acp in my pistols; however, there is still no denying that it is cheaper to shoot 9mm than 45acp. My cost to reload and shoot my own saves me about 50% over buying at retail. I reload 9mm for about $12 per hundred and 45acp at around $25 per hundred. For someone on a tight budget, reloading and shooting 9mm fmj saves a lot of money. 9mm makes a great plinking round.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I think he may have been joking ;)
    Yep, I was. But thanks, none the less, Old Vet for the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading suggestion. It's a shame no one's offering "Speed Humor" classes.
    OD* likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I love the .45 ACP, but I have better control with .40 S&W.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Senior Moderator
    I have standardized on 9mm and .357mag. I own other calibers but don't reload them or shoot them much.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

All of my handguns are .45 ACP! But then again, I only own two handguns...

I've never much liked anything less. Don't get me wrong, .357 Mag is SWEET! But, I've always just leaned toward .45. I've fired just about every caliber out there, too. I think it may have something to do with the satisfying boom that accompanies a nice, crisp trigger pull!
    "Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    "Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness." ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

It took me a l-o-t of years just to "standardize" on Mrs. Ghost Tracker. Like handguns, it was simply the beautiful variety of options that made it so hard to settle on even a wonderful choice of...one. The .40 S&W is in the current lead, but me head is still easily turned by a .45 acp. (...and then there's that cute 9mm over there...oh! Would you (pardon the pun) get a load of that Model 66 snubbie? Whew, look at the legs on that Commander...)
    Brad426 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Do as you wish, but to say that FMJ ammo (of whatever caliber) is not effective for self defense is just not true. Put the bullets where they count, and the type of bullet will not matter much. Don't hit anything vital, and again, the bullet type will not matter much. A JHP will not magically make a poorly placed shot a stopping shot.

Heck - the much-vaunted shotgun buckshot load is nothing more than a bunch of lead balls that don't expand or have "jagged spinning petals of death." Yet, they seem to work - and work well.

Whatever floats your boat.
    sioux565 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I have had handguns in many calipers, 380, 9mm, 38sp, 357, 40, 45 acp to name a few. So far what I have discovered is shot placement is the most important for stopping a bad guy. With that said I have learned that for the major pistol calibers 9mm, 40, 45acp personal defense ammo cost the same about a dollar per round, so that equals out. Secondly, FMJ rounds are what most of us use for practice, I look at my 9mm ammo on hand and I have about 10 practice rounds for every SD round.
    Why am I making this point I finally realized that 9mm FMJ I would not consider for self-defense use unless force to, however, the 45 FMJ that is for target or lead SWC reloads could be very effective for hunting or self defense.

I am now considering going to one caliber, the point I just made for the 45acp that any round I have could be use for SD is helping me come to a decision in favor of the 45acp. I don't see myself as a prepped or doom day person but ammo is getting more expensive and by going to one caliber for my self defense needs makes financial sense.
    To say that FMJ 9mm ammunition should not be considered for SD use is childish. With the cost of .45 ammunition and consolidating to just that round does not make financial sense to me, but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    To say that FMJ 9mm ammunition should not be considered for SD use is childish. With the cost of .45 ammunition and consolidating to just that round does not make financial sense to me, but what do I know.
    I suppose every police department in the USA is childish then for choosing SD ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Do as you wish, but to say that FMJ ammo (of whatever caliber) is not effective for self defense is just not true. Put the bullets where they count, and the type of bullet will not matter much. Don't hit anything vital, and again, the bullet type will not matter much. A JHP will not magically make a poorly placed shot a stopping shot.

Heck - the much-vaunted shotgun buckshot load is nothing more than a bunch of lead balls that don't expand or have "jagged spinning petals of death." Yet, they seem to work - and work well.

Whatever floats your boat.
    ^^This! A well placed shot (or a lucky one!) with a .22lr is just as lethal (or potentially lethal) as any other caliber. Some (mostly ALL) of the larger caliber just have a higher probability - due to their mass/speed - of making those non-lethal shots a bit more painful!
    "Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    "Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness." ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

As in virtually all things firearms-related, personal preference is the password. I don't care what firearms you own, I'd like to see everyone own one/some.... I don't care what caliber you prefer, or if you have a favorite.... just safely enjoy whatever caliber/platform suits you. Everyone has an opinion, and a right to it, but opinions don't always translate into fact. None of us has to suit any of the rest of us, and who among us got elected to the judgement seat? Certainly not me.

If everyone out there liked the same things I like, there wouldn't be as much of the things I like available for me to buy....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links