Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me.

This is a discussion on Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MichSteve I suppose every police department in the USA is childish then for choosing SD ammo. I would venture that most LE ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I suppose every police department in the USA is childish then for choosing SD ammo.
    I would venture that most LE agencies use JHPs because they reduce the probability of a shoot-through, and the attendant risk to bystanders.

Then there are those agencies that don't use JHPs, because they are "evil."

And then there are those LE agencies that produce mass-casualties and "terrorist attack" hysteria, because their officers cannot shoot straight. Maybe they need some of those laser-guided boo-lits...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I suppose every police department in the USA is childish then for choosing SD ammo.
    Really? Think about what you just said and how that relates to what I said.

StarPD45
    40 S&W and 44 mag are the only two common calibers I don't own.
    I still prefer 45 ACP.
    As to price, our local Wallyworld has 45 FMJ for $39.88 per 100 box. Not bad, really

9mm and .45cal are my rounds of choice. .45 for carry and 9mm for the wife, children, and grandchildren to shoot. Also, 9mm is just plain inexpensive. Ed B

More rounds per lb., per $, per cubic inch, etc. If you can agree that the 9 is about equal to the 45 for SD when good ammo is used, there isn't much of an argument. I love the 45acp round, and the 1911 is still in the top 2 of my all time favorite handguns, but if I had to narrow down from 2 to 1, the 45 would have to go. I have absolutely no use for 40, except USPSA Limited Division, which I don't shoot. :)

I agree with the whole caliber consolidation thing. It's a pain trying to get different ammo for different guns. I chose to stick with .40 myself for my own reasons but I certainly have nothing against .45 either.

I prefer having the higher capacity 9mm guns, cheaper and IMHO easier to shoot.

.45 ACP is a good choice. The only 2 I would consider are it along with 9mm.
    I don't like the more modern cartridges as well, I find the recoils too snappy and slows follow up shots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I could be wrong on this as I'm no ballistics expert but I carry 9mm because I think .45 Auto even out of a 5" barrel may not travel fast enough to penetrate through thick and heavy clothing, and then still have enough velocity and energy to reach vital organs. I live in a place that requires people to wear thick layers of clothing. I've practiced with 9mm more than .45 anyway.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Several random thoughts, since this thread has been a bit random :-)

1. I've done significant standardization of revolvers in caliber .38 S&W. Main reason was to get my three girls 2" and 4" revolvers for carry/car and home, while maximizing their training thru interchangeability, and selecting a power level they are all comfortable with. Six guns, all same action, all same ammo. I wound up getting my own set to play with, of course, then have spread my interests to a variety of guns in this old caliber. Yes, I love to reload, and to a degree I provide the guns and girls with different power/recoil levels, while exercising due caution.

2. In the opposite direction, I've always loved trying out different guns, and often have wound up swapping them towards the new "must have" gun. So, on the negative side, I certainly have less muscle memory than if I'd picked a gun 30 years ago and focused solely on it.

3. The positive side of that coin, though, is that I can pick up a wide variety of weapons and use them effectively if necessary. Am I Jerry Miculek? No. Am I good enough to wield weapons effectively in many/most crisis situations? Probably yes.

4. I was in the Army for quite a while, and became pretty proficient with some weapons, and familiar with a lot more (including foreign weapons). The more weapons a soldier can use, the more versatile he is. Audie Murphy used the M1, M1 carbine, Thompson SMG, .50 cal MG, German MG-42, hand grenades, rifle grenades, and artillery fire to raise Cain with the Wehrmacht a while back, and it's pretty clear that his versatility with weaponry was one of his many strong suits in combat, rather than a detriment to his ability to employ any single weapon effectively. I'm no Audie Murphy, but the principle stands.

5. I carry several different handguns concealed, partly because of weather, dress and situation, but partly for the fun of it. Life's too short not to, IMO, but that's just because firearms are my favorite hobby. And yes, that also leads to complication in holsters, spare ammo, mode & location of carry, etc. But who knows, maybe the very conscious acts of selecting weapons, ammo, holsters, carry mode, etc., make me more aware & ready to act than if I carried the same way amost all the time, and a crisis were to arise when I happened to have any deviation from my norm. And how many of us actually practice drawing & firing hundreds of rounds from a starting point of balancing a fountain drink and cap in one hand, and our wallet, keys and a bag of chips in the other hand, with wife in the lead, children in tow, and other convenience store customers all around, with an unknown number of BG's in various directions? I don't denigrate training, most certainly, but I think the person who expects it to prepare him for automatic response to every eventuality is setting himself up for a bit of a setback when "The Situation" actually lands in his lap. Ever practice engaging a surprise target on the other side of the guy next to you at the range? I haven't, but if I'm ever caught in the middle of an armed robbery attempt, I'll probably wish I had.

6. Ball ammo? Not necessarily my favorite, but solids often do the job, and sometimes even better than HP's. And of course, sometimes not as well. Every German that Murphy engaged, he did so with ball ammo, I'm pretty sure. When he hit them solidly--especially if rapidly and repeatedly--they went down; when he didn't, they didn't necessarily drop at all.

7. Lots of American soldiers worried, with good reason, about getting hit with German 9mm ball. (And anything else coming their way.)

I don't know that these ramblings have any particular point or merit, but I would hate to have to go up against Audie Murphy--or others like him--if he had even a .25 auto, a rock, a stick, or his bare hands. Same goes for modern BG's I might encounter. OTOH, **if** I can respond like Murphy if BG's ever come after me, **I** will prove **their** worst nightmare, whether I'm carrying my .380, .38, .45, M-4, or pump shotgun, and regardless if it's loaded with HP's or solids. Attitude and aptitude of all parties involved are very likely to prove more important than equipment. This is most especially true when we're talking about matching our handgun against the BG's handgun--whoever gets solid hits first, has greatly improved his chances of winning. Even so, if one of us is truly, primally, committed to the destruction of our opponent, that person is going to be hard to stop decisively with any handgun, and whoever faces him is quite liable to get hurt.

But if logistics issues are your primary concern, standardization indeed has decisive advantages.
    STALKER37_19D likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaMan View Post
    Several random thoughts, since this thread has been a bit random :-)

<snip>

I don't know that these ramblings have any particular point or merit, but I would hate to have to go up against Audie Murphy--or others like him--if he had even a .25 auto, a rock, a stick, or his bare hands. Same goes for modern BG's I might encounter. OTOH, **if** I can respond like Murphy if BG's ever come after me, **I** will prove **their** worst nightmare, whether I'm carrying my .380, .38, .45, M-4, or pump shotgun, and regardless if it's loaded with HP's or solids. Attitude and aptitude of all parties involved are very likely to prove more important than equipment. This is most especially true when we're talking about matching our handgun against the BG's handgun--whoever gets solid hits first, has greatly improved his chances of winning. Even so, if one of us is truly, primally, committed to the destruction of our opponent, that person is going to be hard to stop decisively with any handgun, and whoever faces him is quite liable to get hurt.

But if logistics issues are your primary concern, standardization indeed has decisive advantages.

Excellent post! Thank you.

The part I highlighted in red is (IMHO) the most important thing to take into every situation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links