Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me.

This is a discussion on Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had handguns in many calipers, 380, 9mm, 38sp, 357, 40, 45 acp to name a few. So far what I have discovered is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me.

Standardizing a Carry Caliber! Why 45acp is Winning out for me.

I have had handguns in many calipers, 380, 9mm, 38sp, 357, 40, 45 acp to name a few. So far what I have discovered is shot placement is the most important for stopping a bad guy. With that said I have learned that for the major pistol calibers 9mm, 40, 45acp personal defense ammo cost the same about a dollar per round, so that equals out. Secondly, FMJ rounds are what most of us use for practice, I look at my 9mm ammo on hand and I have about 10 practice rounds for every SD round.
    Why am I making this point I finally realized that 9mm FMJ I would not consider for self-defense use unless force to, however, the 45 FMJ that is for target or lead SWC reloads could be very effective for hunting or self defense.

I am now considering going to one caliber, the point I just made for the 45acp that any round I have could be use for SD is helping me come to a decision in favor of the 45acp. I don't see myself as a prepped or doom day person but ammo is getting more expensive and by going to one caliber for my self defense needs makes financial sense.
    Last edited by MichSteve; December 12th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I were restricted to only one calilber, then my .45 would be the one. Seeing as I'm not restricted, I opt to keep several calibers on hand, as I enjoy shooting them and having multiple calibers on hand is not a problem.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I reload for all my pistol calibers... .380, 9mm, .38 spl, .357 mag, .45ACP.... that tends to keep the cost quite manageable.

So far what I have discovered is shot placement is the most important for stopping a bad guy.
    Sir, this is 200% correct. Caliber counts for nothing until you can consistently hit your intended target.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

It's a little different for me because I am a reloader. My 9mm reloads could be used for defense if need be.

9mm plated pistol bullets

Only a few dollars more than their FMJ. My buddy and I are also working on developing a .38 load and 9mm load using 38 / 357 plated pistol bullets

That way I only have to stock one bullet.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

You bought a .45 gap? IMHO, that alone immediately sends your creditability...right out the window!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You really need to brush up on your reading skills. He said acp, making one typo as cap. And if he wants a .45 GAP, he's welcome to it.
    Last edited by OldVet; December 12th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Rollo, mkh, blitzburgh and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've standardized on 9 and .45. It makes life so much easier and I can get the performance I want. I've even gone so far as to get an AR in 9mm. Now that's a blast to shoot.

We've standardized on .45acp also.......it just does whatever is asked of it......great round....IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You really need to brush up on your reading skills. He said acp, making one typo as cap. And if he wants a .45 GAP, he welcome to it.
    I think he may have been joking ;)
    Hopyard likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I have had handguns in many calipers, 380, 9mm, 38sp, 357, 40, 45 cap to name a few. So far what I have discovered is shot placement is the most important for stopping a bad guy. With that said I have learned that for the major pistol calibers 9mm, 40, 45acp personal defense ammo cost the same about a dollar per round, so that equals out. Secondly, FMJ rounds are what most of us use for practice, I look at my 9mm ammo on hand and I have about 10 practice rounds for every SD round.
    Why am I making this point I finally realized that 9mm FMJ I would not consider for self-defense use unless force to, however, the 45 FMJ that is for target or lead SWC reloads could be very effective for hunting or self defense.

I am now considering going to one caliber, the point I just made for the 45acp that any round I have could be use for SD is helping me come to a decision in favor of the 45acp. I don't see myself as a prepped or doom day person but ammo is getting more expensive and by going to one caliber for my self defense needs makes financial sense.
    Actually 9mm FMJ will work fine for defense if your shot placement is good. The problem is passthrough and that is also a problem with .45 (to a lesser extent). Additionally, good practice ammo is much cheaper in 9mm if you shop around.

I'm not trying to sway you from standardizing on the .45, I am just disagreeing with your reasons.

Jim
    wmhawth and Toorop like this.

I have pistols in various calibers, but I mainly carry .45...I like the bigger holes.
    I do keep an ample supply of the various calibers for the pistols I do have.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    All my old handguns, primarily revolvers, were .22 and .38/357mag. Then I got some .380 and 9mm. I think I'll standardize (stop proliferation) at the 9mm. I am very comfortable and accurate with the 9mm.

I haven't fired a .45 since I was in the service. That .45 was an old 1911 with a seriously strong trigger pull and I barely qualified...that was the only weapon that I haven't qualified as 'expert', and I have avoided the embarrassment of trying to hit anything with the .45.

I know that they have improved the .45 handguns in the 50 years since I nearly failed to qualify at the military range, but I'm still paranoid about being so bad with that .45.

(and the 9mm is cheaper)...I have been called a cheapskate, too...

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have pistols in various calibers, but I mainly carry .45...I like the bigger holes.
    I do keep an ample supply of the various calibers for the pistols I do have.
    What he said.

I try to have guns any any caliber that will be easy to scavenge if we are ever in a SHTF situation.
    Beans likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    9mm hollow point Personal Defense ammo, COR-BON, Hornady, Speer, is far better in terms of stopping power than .45ACP FMJ. If you have 20 rounds of 9mmP self defense ammo, you have a life time supply unless you go looking for trouble.

For lack of better data, In M & S's book, the one I happen to have handy, the better 9mmP self defense rounds run 88% to 91% effective for one shot stops. The best .45 FMJ is around 62%. The best .45ACP hollow points run 90% to 95%.

FMJ handgun ammo, regardless of caliber, is remarkably ineffective. Period.

For me personally, being armed is way more important than standardizing on ammo. I have .380, 9mmP, and .45ACP carry guns because there are times I can't hide anything bigger. If I limited myself to .45ACP there would be times I'd go unarmed because I couldn't conceal the Glock 36.

If we end up in some sort of doomsday scenario, which you seem to be alluding to, we will be looking for rifle ammo. Having .45ACP will be a joke. .223, 7.62x39, .308, .30-06, and rifles that allow it to be used effectively will be a heck of a lot more useful. By effectively I don't mean spray and pray, I mean making every hard to get shot count to way beyond effective SD handgun distances. I have a .30-06 bolt rifle that I can reliably hit 6" steel plates with in successive single shots at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. 5 rounds, 5 plates that 'ring'. Let it cool and do it again. And the cartridge has enough left at 500 yards to harvest meat. It's done it. That rifle and a couple hundred rounds of ammo is a real tool for getting food. Between that and a .22 rifle with 3,000 or 4,000 rounds of ammo (which I have on the shelf), a person could eat for quite a while. The .22 rifle is great for rabbits, squirrels, and all manner of small game.

Another good rifle for that scenario would be a .45-70. You can dig the cast lead bullets out of the game animal, melt them down and use them again. Primers and powder are still a problem though.

That brings up the flintlock as the ultimate doomsday weapon. You can re-use the bullets, with a bit of cleverness make powder, and find flint rocks. The gun can be cleaned with water and preserved with animal fat between hunting excursions.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Actually you can JHP 9mm for about .50/rnd in bulk and I would pick that over 45 hardball any day of the week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links