Sig 238 " problem."

Sig 238 " problem."

This is a discussion on Sig 238 " problem." within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the first time yesterday, I went for the 6+1 load and had this problem: the gun jammed twice in a row. Here's what I ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By greyeyezz
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By Skidboot
  • 1 Post By brownsbacker
  • 1 Post By Diddle

Thread: Sig 238 " problem."

Sig 238 " problem."

For the first time yesterday, I went for the 6+1 load and had this problem: the gun jammed twice in a row. Here's what I did: loaded the mag and racked the slide to chamber one round; then I dropped the mag, topped it off, and re-inserted it. Again, I got a jam. no other problems, so... what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your input.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    For the first time yesterday, I went for the 6+1 load and had this problem: the gun jammed twice in a row. Here's what I did: loaded the mag and racked the slide to chamber one round; then I dropped the mag, topped it off, and re-inserted it. Again, I got a jam. no other problems, so... what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your input.
    I don't own that gun but have one very similar. Mine needs to be meticulously clean and well lubricated.
    I have seen posts on the net about them not cycling correctly after 25-30 rounds because the ammo was
    especially dirty and the grit gets in the "workings" of the slide or clogs the extractor. I've experienced that
    too.

I can't be certain that is your problem but it is easy enough to solve if it is. Clean well and lubricate well. Use
    good quality ammo.

Some ammo seems to have an almost grainy sand like residue that gums everything up.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Polish the feed ramp. What I do is take a q-tip, cut the end off and put it in my dremel, take some flitz or simichrome and polish at a low rpm.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Did you smack the mag into the palm of your hand to ensure the rounds were fully seated to the rear before inserting it into the pistol?
    Philly Boy likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Re: Sig 238 " problem."

i have 4 Sigs ... 2-238's & 2-938's. (ok, so the wife claims 2 of them :) ). they do work much better with a polished feed ramp and being greased on moving parts.

remember, Sig suggests changing out recoil springs at 2000 rounds.

6000 rounds down range so far with the four.

sent from ...

JD
    Administrator

Re: Sig 238 " problem."

With the topped off magazine you have more upward pressure on the bottom of the slide (cartridges have less room to compress in the magazine) and that can cause the slide to drag.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

I owned a Sig 238 for awhile; it was a beautiful gun, but I never had a range session without FTF's or FTE's. I think Sig would have probably made the gun right, but I just didn't feel like fooling around with it. So I sold it.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I think Sig had some issues with magazines on early units, then they changed the top of them. Call Sig and see what they have to say.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsbacker View Post
    I think Sig had some issues with magazines on early units, then they changed the top of them. Call Sig and see what they have to say.
    Ditto! Also, doing the fluff and buff just like the early LCP offerings seem to have needed clears things up. Shooting ball ammo rather than bull (flat nosed) ammo for the first few hundred rounds makes a dramatic difference. I have a P238-380 Sport 12 that I cleaned and buffed on prior to shooting and it has been flawless. Mfg. 09/11/2012.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links