642 vs. LCP - Page 2

642 vs. LCP

This is a discussion on 642 vs. LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 642 or 442 are great revolvers and can be bought for around 360 dollars. They are thicker than most thin flat autos autos and ...

View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • LCP

14 25.93%

40 74.07%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 642 vs. LCP

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The 642 or 442 are great revolvers and can be bought for around 360 dollars. They are thicker than most thin flat autos autos and longer too. If a 380 is wanted look at the taurus tcp380 line. Price runs from 185 to 260 depending of steel or stainless steel one or two mags. They are a little bigger than the ruger lcp and kt versions and feed ammo better with the lastest update and have better sights! and a trigger to make most any other handgun look bad at a uber smooth 4.5lbs . Really do. Good one handed shooterl too.

A couple 9mm pistols that can do both pocket or iwb are the kt pf-9 along with the lastest diamond back db9, very small very lite at 12 and 10oz for the two pistols and they iwb easily. Not fun to shoot or control well for some.

The kahr cm9 or 40 can be pocketed many times or iwb very well. IWB handguns that can be tucked in, kt p11 is a 10 shot double stack that can use a sw model 59 mag as back up ,thats an extra 15 shoots and weights 14 oz but is easier to shoot haveing a wider grip. Kahr cw/p9, 40 or 45. and like sized sw shield 9 or 40 along with the nano 9mm all conceal iwb very well and cover tucked in. Beyound these weight, size and cost start to climb. All of these price between 185 to just under 400 dollars with most between 250 and 375.

I carried a taurus 85 revolver for 20 years and will never cc one again with all the great small lite and thin pistols out there today.

The 642 is a great little revolver, and mine gets about 75% of the carry time. Perfect tool for the job (IMHO).

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you can comfortably conceal the 642, that's the one I'd opt for.

^I'm in this camp here^^^^^^^^^^^^

As long as you can shoot it well, I think it will serve you in a better capacity as far as omph.
    You can put =P's in it.
    The LCP gets the vote if you MUST pocket carry discreetly.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I have a 642 and a colt mustang 380.
    I bought the 642 from my friends room mate who needed some cash to keep eating. I was going to use it on a trade-in, but after shooting it, I kept it and carry it. The factory grip fits my hand like a surgical glove. With todays high performance ammo, it hits hard. Recoil not bad.

The mustang is easier to conceal because of being flatter. However, I am old school. Its hard to screw up a revolver.
    Look at it this way: If it stops working, so may you...
    If you want more firepower in a small pachage, get the LCR or smith equivalent in .357. If you shoot at someone and miss, the muzzle blast will knock him over......

At least you can still get a 642 without that lock..
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I have no space to carry a .380ACP... I have shot the LCP and lets just say by the time you are done pulling the trigger you better hope yes hope the BG is point blank range because trying to use the sights on an LCP and be very accurate is like trying to run from a hungry cheetah on an ice rink.
    Foo909 likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Re: 642 vs. LCP

is like trying to run from a hungry cheetah on an ice rink.
    LOL

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

I tried to like an LCR, no dice.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

aus71383 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I have no space to carry a .380ACP... I have shot the LCP and lets just say by the time you are done pulling the trigger you better hope yes hope the BG is point blank range because trying to use the sights on an LCP and be very accurate is like trying to run from a hungry cheetah on an ice rink.

I put a CT Laserguard on both of my LCPs, and have absolutely no issue putting several magazine's worth of shots into one ragged hole, rapid fire, at 7 yards. Out-shot all the other students at a low-light pistol class with one, too. Caused much consternation amongst all the naysayers there...

Aside from the laser, the key is pulling the trigger like you mean it. Pull it quickly and smoothly, and you will be surprised at how accurate these little BUGgers are. Try to pull the trigger like it is a target gun, and you will be frustrated.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Depends where you live, and what you wear. Unless concealment is critical, I would go for the 642.

642 vs. LCP

My 642 is my primary carry gun. 90% at 3:30-4 IWB, the other in R front pocket in either UM or my own leather pocket holster.

Usually my KT P3AT is in either R front or R back pocket when the j frame is IWB.

If for some reason my dress attire won't allow the revolver my 3AT is in a pocket...always. I love this little piece. Do the fluff and buff and properly break it in at the range and its a flawless little gun. And all of my family members like it and shoot it better than the LCP.

NCG
    I had a 642 but got rid of it for the LCP. As much as I liked the revolver, I never carried it because it didn't conceal well in my pants pocket. The LCP completely disappears.
    The 642 is the much better gun, but that doesn't make any difference if I don't carry it.
    aus71383 likes this.

Re: 642 vs. LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Sounds like operator error!

Well, I think I am going to pull the trigger on the 642. Now, what holster should I get for it? I like the Aholster Pocket. thoughts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links