642 vs. LCP

642 vs. LCP

This is a discussion on 642 vs. LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have found some information throughout searches, but am looking for more... I currently own a G23 and I want to get something else I ...

View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • LCP

14 25.93%

40 74.07%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 642 vs. LCP

642 vs. LCP

I have found some information throughout searches, but am looking for more...

I currently own a G23 and I want to get something else I can keep in my pocket for warmer months and when my clothing doesnt allow for IWB carry. I was almost set on a 642 this summer, but there weren't any available without locks in my area and Bud's had sold out by the time I was ready to purchase it, so instead of instant gratification I decided to wait for another to come along. Recently a friend showed me his Kel-Tec P3AT (though he didnt like the reliability of the Kel-Tec), he almost had me set on the LCP as it is easier to conceal (i.e. back pocket, front pocket, IWB...). Then today, I get a call from my LGS saying they just got a no lock 642. I have them holding it for me until I can get over there to look at it again, but now I am in a huge dilemma of which one to purchase and which I will carry the most. Any thoughts on which I should purchase?

P.s. I know this will make some say to get the 642, but I am not sure how often I will actually carry the glock (I still dont have a holster for it yet).

Also, please do not suggest any other guns, I am too overwhelmed as it is right now

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If you can comfortably conceal the 642, that's the one I'd opt for.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Coming from someone that has a 642, and had an LCP...and honest opinion!

My answer depends on much you will carry the G23.

If you are going to carry the G23 90% percent of the time, go with the LCP. It's infinitely easier to carry than the 642 and will fill that niche when no actual gun will work...

If you are only going to carry the G23 50% of the time, go with the 642. There is zero comparison from a 138gr +P .38 special to a 90gr. .380 ACP. I will always feel MUCH better armed with the 642 than the LCP, and no worry about failure to feed or eject.

And don't worry about the lock either way, it is EXTREMELY simple to remove.

Personally I had an LCP, and hated it. But would buy another just because it will work when nothing else does....my primary is a 642.

Each weapon has it's niche in one's inventory...Depending on your size (the size of your pockets), that would be the determining factor for me...In my case, the LCP (and a spare mag dropped in my shirt pocket) is much easier to slip in my pocket, in a good pocket holster, than my 642. I normally use my 642 either as a back up to my G19, or in certain situations as a primary carry in a good holster and NOT as a pocket carry. Save and get both... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

thanks for the replies and advice, keep it comin'

I have both 2 Ruger LCPs, and a LCR. The LCP will disappear in any men's pockets that I've tried; the LCR (same size as a J frame) will not.

That said, it is rather easy to have a tailor deepen your pocket so that the snubbie will fit.

M-F, I carry the LCR as my primary, and a LCP as a secondary, in opposite pockets. If finances allow, I'm considering getting another LCR early next year, and doubling up on the revolvers.

I know you asked not to have other guns suggested, but you really should look at the LCR - much, much better trigger than the J frame. Less recoil (polymer frame) and better sights, too.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    ...There is zero comparison from a 138gr +P .38 special to a 90gr. .380 ACP...
    This is why I voted for the 642. I know you asked not to suggest any other guns, but you should also look at the Ruger LCR since its very similar to the 642.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I have both 2 Ruger LCPs, and a LCR. The LCP will disappear in any men's pockets that I've tried; the LCR (same size as a J frame) will not.

That said, it is rather easy to have a tailor deepen your pocket so that the snubbie will fit.

M-F, I carry the LCR as my primary, and a LCP as a secondary, in opposite pockets. If finances allow, I'm considering getting another LCR early next year, and doubling up on the revolvers.

I know you asked not to have other guns suggested, but you really should look at the LCR - much, much better trigger than the J frame. Less recoil (polymer frame) and better sights, too.
    Said it before I could.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    LCP of the choices given, however I'd prefer a Taurus TCP over the LCP any day of the week.

Better trigger.
    Last round slide lock.
    Shoots where I point it.
    Less felt recoil.

YMMV

Everything is subjective. I personally think the trigger on the j frame is better than the LCR, and it's a classic carry piece.
    I would take the 642 any day over the others mentioned.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

642 = more power = better. You shouldn't have any trouble concealing it. The .380 is such a weak round.....it's better than nothing, but nowhere near a .38+P

Austin

For many years I've had both a Model 642 and a Kel Tec P3AT, of which the LCP is an obvious copy. Both work fine but there is no question which I'd chose.

If I was required to go onto a darkened room to take down a mad gorilla and was offered only the choice of a Model 642 or an LCP then I'd take the 642 without hesitation.

I do my very best to keep from having to carry and depend on a runt .380 pistol. I can generally contrive to avoid it.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    As others have said, opinion is subjective, but to me a 642 is harder to carry than my Glock 19 because it's thicker. The advice from Foo909 was sound; if you carry the G23 a lot then go with the LCP as a toss-in-the-gym-shorts gun, but if you won't ever carry the G23 but will definitely carry the 642, then go with the 642.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Too easy to carry the better gun. A jframe was made to be carried all sorts of ways. I carry the 442 and love it. The grips suit my hand perfectly, reloads can be quick with speed strips and .38 has a proven track record. Mine rides in my pocket daily in an uncle mikes and I like the simplicity. It has many features people love about the Glocks: no extra safeties, easy to use, simple, goes bang every time etc. The you get the nostalgia part too!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Between a 642/442 and the LCP I would take the 642/442. I carry 2 Ruger 357s but, the 442 Smith is still one of my favorites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links