Why I no longer carry a .380 - Page 2

Why I no longer carry a .380

This is a discussion on Why I no longer carry a .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gene83 Actually I was hoping that people could see that a 125 grain .357 magnum cartridge might be superior in stopping power ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Why I no longer carry a .380

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Actually I was hoping that people could see that a 125 grain .357 magnum cartridge might be superior in stopping power to a 95 grain .380 ACP cartridge. My bad.
    Putting it in words might have been better right off the bat! No worries though. After shooting a K-frame S&W yesterday with .357, it is by far my new favorite round.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Putting it in words might have been better right off the bat! No worries though. After shooting a K-frame S&W yesterday with .357, it is by far my new favorite round.
    That's what happens when you assume too much. I thought everybody would see the little Smith & Wesson 360 PD and say "Lordy, he's carrying one of those .357s."
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I dumped my .380s after buying two .357 SIGs.

This new addition is also much more powerful than any .380.
    (pic by remote camera)

It will also be more powerful with a hot 38+P load as well.

Nice pics!!
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If you can hit several rounds in the vitals quicker then a 6 or 8 from a 380 then its better. Even the 125gr 357 loss's some of kick butt out of a snubby. Thats why I like a 9mm124gr P+ at 1143fps from a 3" barrel in a lite quick shooting package.
    candalos likes this.

My most of the time gun is a 642 with .38+p 135gr Gold Dots for short barrels. Great little revolver and a great round designed for the gun. My father carries 2 SIG P238's but only because his hands can't take lightweight revolvers in .38+p or .357. Not a bad round, but I prefer the .38+p. As others said, they'll both do the trick.

Cheers.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There a place for just about any round in the SD world. No one is the magic answer.

^^^^^Exactly^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you couldn't/can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with the "handful" of a .38, but could with the .380, I think you made a poor choice.

OTOH, if all things considered are equal then, no problem; I'd rather have my 442 than a ..380 as well, when I can't/don't have my .357sig or one of the 9's.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

And sometimes a few words are worth a thousand pictures.

95 grain .380 ACP 980 F/S 203 FP

125 grain .357 Magnum 1600 F/S 710 FP

That's pretty much my reasoning.
    franco45 likes this.

Id rather not get shot with anything. I have a 380 and depending on circumstances I will carry that gun. Other than that ill carry my M&P9c.

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Well, when you look at the .380 and .38 from the business end, the diameter is exactly the same.

M-F I carry a .38 and a .380, so I guess I like 'em both.
    What about Sat and Sun?

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Most people that carry or have a need for a 380 make it one of micro lites. With so many 9mms rangeing from 10oz to 19oz and some of those in 40cal there little reason to sarry a 20oz+ 380.
    Ditto. With a variety of itty bitty 9's, don't see as much reason for the .380acp as in the past.

VIP Member
    And sometimes a few words are worth a thousand pictures.

95 grain .380 ACP 980 F/S 203 FP

125 grain .357 Magnum 1600 F/S 710 FP

That's pretty much my reasoning.

^^^I did not ^^^^^^^^^

Look at your original pic closely, and thought it was a .38.

Also, I don't think you will get 1600fps, or 710 ft. lb of energy from a snubby, but YMMV.

Factory ballistics tables call for a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps for the 125 grain JHP with 583 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. For the 140 grain JHP the MV is 1360 fps and the ME is 575 ft. lbs. For the 158 grain JHP the MV is 1235 fps and the ME is 535 ft. lbs. These figures are all for a 4" revolver barrelFROM ; .357 Magnum
    Hopyard likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^I did not ^^^^^^^^^

Look at your original pic closely, and thought it was a .38.

Also, I don't think you will get 1600fps, or 710 ft. lb of energy from a snubby, but YMMV.

Factory ballistics tables call for a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps for the 125 grain JHP with 583 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. For the 140 grain JHP the MV is 1360 fps and the ME is 575 ft. lbs. For the 158 grain JHP the MV is 1235 fps and the ME is 535 ft. lbs. These figures are all for a 4" revolver barrelFROM ; .357 Magnum
    You're probably right and honest to God I'm not going to invest in the time and equipment to prove what comes out of the barrel of my gun. I'll just defer to you. If you look at the backside of a snubby and the backside of your average semi-auto pistol, you will notice a different contour. The snubby doesn't dig into my flesh as much when I carry it.

Proceed with the arguments that semi-autos are more comfortable to carry.
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    You're probably right and honest to God I'm not going to invest in the time and equipment to prove what comes out of the barrel of my gun. I'll just defer to you. If you look at the backside of a snubby and the backside of your average semi-auto pistol, you will notice a different contour. The snubby doesn't dig into my flesh as much when I carry it.

Seriously, whatever works for you or anyone else. Everyone is different. That is why there are so many
    different calibers, two basic designs--pistol and revolver-- and everything from the ity bity NAA 22 Magnum to a full
    size 45.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If you look at the backside of a snubby and the backside of your average semi-auto pistol, you will notice a different contour. The snubby doesn't dig into my flesh as much when I carry it.

- The cylinder of a revolver is much less comfortable to me than a slim 9mm. Different strokes for different folks.
    pittypat21 and sioux565 like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links