Why I no longer carry a .380 - Page 3

Why I no longer carry a .380

This is a discussion on Why I no longer carry a .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by StarPD45 What about Sat and Sun? Glock 30 and a LCR...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Why I no longer carry a .380

Quote Originally Posted by StarPD45 View Post
    What about Sat and Sun?
    Glock 30 and a LCR
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

12 reasons why I don't carry a .380......

Spec, sioux565 and oneshot like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Hopyard likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

i just went the other way, 38 sp to 380. why? because my paper has holes in it after shooting the 380 at. i coundn't hit very good with the snubby. but the 380 was made for me the bullet hits what it's pointed at.
    Hopyard and sixgun like this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I'm not going to start a caliber debate. but I will NOT EVER carry a .380ACP as a PRIMARY gun. I've carried a full size combat fighting gun (comfortably CONCEALED) for the 97% of my time carrying a firearm. the other 3% of the factor is a compact 9mm, or a .38Spl +P.

IMHO if you are in a fight for your LIFE why in the world do you want a gun that is so small and harder to manipulate and shoot then a full size gun that holds 3 times the amount of ammo? And the ammo is more powerful?

No way... I agree with you a .38Spl +P is an upgrade (if you can reload it FAST) from a .380ACP for your primary gun.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Back in the day when we were issued the 2 1//2 inch S&W model 19. We would joke about them saying that you had several chances to get the perp if you used it in a small room
    1. You could shoot them
    2, You could burn them
    3. You could blind them
    4, You could burst thier ear drums.
    It is an unforgetable experience to fire a 2 1/2 inch .357 in a small enclosed place.
    Hopyard and oneshot like this.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I'm not going to start a caliber debate. but I will NOT EVER carry a .380ACP as a PRIMARY gun. I've carried a full size combat fighting gun (comfortably CONCEALED) for the 97% of my time carrying a firearm. the other 3% of the factor is a compact 9mm, or a .38Spl +P.

IMHO if you are in a fight for your LIFE why in the world do you want a gun that is so small and harder to manipulate and shoot then a full size gun that holds 3 times the amount of ammo? And the ammo is more powerful?

No way... I agree with you a .38Spl +P is an upgrade (if you can reload it FAST) from a .380ACP for your primary gun.
    The LCP is in no way hard to manipulate. Just pull the trigger and boom! Not everyone can comfortably carry a full size gun on a daily basis, believe it or not! For some of those folks, these pocket sized .380 guns are a perfect fit to carry. I'd rather carry the weak, slow, ineffective, not worthy .380 than be unarmed. It sure seems like some people would rather be unarmed than carry a pocket .380 from the way it sounds. What's next; .22 versus .380?

Look at the OP decision. What if he faces multiple assailants and misses one or two of his shots? He better be damn accurate with the revolver, but with his weak, slow, ineffective, not worthy .380 he has more rounds to spare.

Guns to me are tools. Tools for specific applications. .380's such as the Ruger LCP is a tool I use for hot weather carry, a example is a +90 day, high humidity, shorts, light gauze shirt. Tough to carry even a subcompact like the Glock 27 or M&P40c. In the fall/winter season you will sometimes find me carrying a S&W Performance Center 629 .44. You have to match the tool to the job. The .380 is useful and fill a niche. My perfect carry weapon is a tricked out/compact AR platform in .233, but this also is a tool not applicable to all jobs. Donít sell the .380 short.
    10thmtn and sixgun like this.

357mag is a better round than the 380acp? umm.. am I the only one here that thinks "duh." ???

I wasnt aware that the 380 was a contender to compete against the 357 for anything...

I'd rather be armed with ANY firearm.. ANY firearm than have nothing but my words and fists.. im not a brawler.. I cant fight that good anymore now that I've gotten fat and slow.. i cant run the 1/4 mile in 52.5 seconds like i did in High school and college.. i want A GUN.. after a gun i'll take a good combat knife.. but even a 22lr is better than sticks.. and I can hit ANYTHING with a 22lr inside of 30yds.

I think the cliches being mentioned here pretty much say it all. The "blank" in your pocket is better than the "blank" you left at home.... Carry what you can comfortably and accurately use to defend yourself with... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Well I really had two .380s and rotated them. Something about that "real guys carry semi-autos thing", and of course it has to be small enough that you can actually carry it. I tried going to bigger semi-autos and ended up with a couple of .45s that I could just never get comfortable with carrying. All of them are great guns and a lot of fun to shoot at the range, but when I realized what I was really looking for in a self defense gun, I found the revolver. It's very light, easy to carry and conceal, and packs a heck of a punch. It's not much fun to shoot at the range. As a matter of fact, it really isn't fun to shoot at all, but for me it's perfect for what I need it for.

Everybody has to make their own decision as to what they want to carry and what they are comfortable with. There's no perfect gun for everybody. I just posted this so that people who might otherwise never consider a revolver would give it some thought and also because I enjoy posting pictures of my guns.
    I'm not saying that the little J frame isn't a great choice and it if works for you that's awesome. But if a weapon isn't fun to shoot at the range or at all, then I would think that you won't spend the range time with it to be as accurate as you probably should be. I'm just saying.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

I agree with the above post. If the recoil of the .357 is so objectionable that you will rarely train with it, then you are doing yourself a dis-service by carrying it.

Personally, I see no reason to carry a .357 in a snubbie. I use .38 Spl standard pressure 158gr SWCs in my LCR. They cut a full caliber hole, and will penetrate deeply to the vitals, without all the drama of a .357 out of a short barrel. Multiple shots are easy to achieve - don't be fooled into thinking you will only need one shot, even with a .357.

Given that I carry a .38 and a .380 during the work week, I would suggest that it is not an either/or argument. Consider carrying both. They actually complement each other rather well.
    42TNred likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Re: Why I no longer carry a .380

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    I'm not saying that the little J frame isn't a great choice and it if works for you that's awesome. But if a weapon isn't fun to shoot at the range or at all, then I would think that you won't spend the range time with it to be as accurate as you probably should be. I'm just saying.
    Agree 100%

If I ever have to use my gun to defend myself, I don't want any surprises. When I got my Glock a few months ago, not only did I put a few hundred rounds downrange to make sure the gun wasn't flawed, I also wanted to get used to the gun so if I have to use it, I know what to expect.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I loved the 38sp I had; (for 30yrs). I also love my Ruger 357. But, it's to big & heavy for CC.

I prefer the extra couple of rounds I get with a 380 when it comes to CC. I know if I happen to face multiple (3-4) BGs , I have enough love to share so everyone can get some and still have enough for seconds without having to reload.

I would gladly carry a 5-6 shot 38 or 357 is that was the only choice I had. But, it's not. I prefer a hot 40sw round or a hot 45acp round for CC and my BUG preference is a small 380. Besides, with today's advanced technology in ballistics, the "performance" differences are to minimal to cause much concern. (JMHO)

-

That might be a reason to stop carrying that big .380. But if you carry a P3AT or LCP its way smaller, lighter, thinner.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    what ever makes ya'll happy....just tickles me to death

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links