Why I no longer carry a .380 - Page 4

Why I no longer carry a .380

This is a discussion on Why I no longer carry a .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With a big caliber gun I decided on a heavier revolver than a lighter. I carry the Ruger sp 101 2" barrel with Remington UMC ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Why I no longer carry a .380

With a big caliber gun I decided on a heavier revolver than a lighter. I carry the Ruger sp 101 2" barrel with Remington UMC 125gr SJHP and those mothas are loaded hot. I buy them because they are cheap and i can shoot alot of them at one time. I practice on reloading, drawing, recoil and I work out alot not just for heatlhy living but for strength on grip and holding my hands in place for a follow up. My uncle was in the Navy and said " You can bring your floaties or a boat, both will keep you above water but sharks are born swimming" Hard to understand an old man like that but I got it as your gun is the boat (which im sure he was just starting another one of those caliber debates but oh well). Shoot hard, alot and fast. You will get better, stronger and experienced with your gun, that in it self is priceless.

Kinda funny, I placed my 13+1 G23 (40 S&W) over my 5 shot SP101 (.357) and they weigh the same loaded ...

then sold my SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    That might be a reason to stop carrying that big .380. But if you carry a P3AT or LCP its way smaller, lighter, thinner.
    Good point. The micro .380s like the P3at, LCP, TCP, etc have breathed new life into the cartridge. Hard to argue with 7 shots of .380 in a pistol that weighs only 12 oz - loaded.
    tcox4freedom and franco45 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm new here, but I'll jump in. I love my .38 Charter Arms snubbie, I've owned it for 35 years as a CC weapon, but mostly as a hiking gun. But in recent years I've switched to an LCP or LC9 for deep concealed carry. Otherwise I carry a Taurus PT145. Some folks don't like them, but mine works, it holds 11 rounds vs 5 in the .38.

If a .357 snubbie works for you then that's the gun you should carry. :)

There are good .380 rounds these days that are comparable to .38 rounds, with perhaps just a little less penetration. Example if you shoot at someone wearing heavy winter clothes, and hit them in the forearm a .380 may not penetrate sufficiently into the chest where a .38 would and a .357 would keep on going through the spine. That's why I carry a .45.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Well, when you look at the .380 and .38 from the business end, the diameter is exactly the same.

M-F I carry a .38 and a .380, so I guess I like 'em both.
    If you want a little more punch than .380 but still prefer semi-auto the 9mm 9x18 Tokarev is often overlooked. You can pick up fairly small 3.2" bbl surplus Polish, Bulgarian or Yugo pistols such as the Polish Radon P-83 at very reasonable prices. 9mm 9x18 ammo is as or more available than .380 usually at about half the cost. .380 ballistic ally has about 60% of the stopping power of 115 gr 9mm luger. 9mm 9x18 is somewhere in between at about 85%. This would be roughly comparable to .38 cal.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    If you want a little more punch than .380 but still prefer semi-auto the 9mm 9x18 Tokarev is often overlooked. You can pick up fairly small 3.2" bbl surplus Polish, Bulgarian or Yugo pistols such as the Polish Radon P-83 at very reasonable prices. 9mm 9x18 ammo is as or more available than .380 usually at about half the cost. .380 ballistic ally has about 60% of the stopping power of 115 gr 9mm luger. 9mm 9x18 is somewhere in between at about 85%. This would be roughly comparable to .38 cal.
    Good point. I have no issues with the 9 x 18. The guns that use it can usually be bought for a decent price as well. However, you still cannot beat the current crop of micro .380s (P3at, LCP, etc) for size/weight vs firepower. The guns that use the 9 x 18 are usually larger/heavier - to the point that you might as well carry a 9 x 19 in the same size/weight class.

To me, the caliber is driver by the platform. Want ultra-small and ultra-light weight? Look no farther than a micro .380. If you can swing slightly larger but significantly heavier, you can get a micro 9mm - at the expense (in my experience) of some finicky operation. If you can swing slightly larger and slightly heavier, you can get a light weight .38 revolver - at the expense of ammo capacity, reload time, etc - but with a significant gain (again, my experience) in reliability over the micro 9s.

I would not look at "stopping power" to make my determination, as handguns all have very poor terminal performance (6 out of 7 people shot with handguns survive their wounds, according to the Medical Grand Rounds presentation that is floating on YouTube and that was posted here a while ago). Find a platform that meets your needs, and go forth.
    tcox4freedom and SIGP250 like this.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Age, arthritis and back problems have shaped my choice of carry guns. I can no longer comfortably carry even a lightweight Colt 3" 1911. I have never had any desire to have a .380 as my daily carry but others do and that's their prerogative. I tried a Smith 340M&P and realized very quickly that .38+p was very uncomfortable to shoot enough to stay proficient and all of the .357 offerings were pure torture. I settled on a Colt Cobra for belt carry and a Colt agent for the pocket. Yeah, I know. Old school but I'm old and I shoot them very well and they carry 6 rounds. Non plus P hollowpoints and reloaded semi wadcutters allow me to shoot regularly and maintain my skill level. Certainly a .380 as large and heavy as a Sig P232 can be replaced by something more potent in the same or smaller package. I hope your choice in the ultra LW Smith shooting .357 rounds turns out to be your "cup of tea". It isn't for most people.

OTB
    ANY gun/round combo is better than NO gun/round combo.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."
    -- President Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    For those that want a lighter package that a revolver or some heavy for size old military pistol go buy a keltec 9mm. If the 12oz pf-9 is to abusive the 14oz p11 is as hideable as any 5 shoot revolver or old soviet area wanta be 9mm pistol and it hold 10 shots of +P rated 9mm and easy way easier to shoot and still cost only 250 dollars.

I carry a Ruger LCP in my purse but it's so small. I'd love to find something just a little larger that won't weigh me down. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jessicahewitt View Post
    I carry a Ruger LCP in my purse but it's so small. I'd love to find something just a little larger that won't weigh me down. Any suggestions?
    Not sure what your weight limit is, but look at a snubbie revolver (I like the Ruger LCR) or the excellent Glock 26.

Also, please reconsider purse carry. Too easy to get separated from your gun. My wife carries her LCP in a belly band or a Kangaroo holster.
    CT Lasers

With the new wave on micro 9mm pistols, I have also stopped carrying a .380 Auto. 9mm is my preferred caliber as I shoot it well and I can carry more than enough rounds.

The size of the shell doesn't mean a thing. I reload my .38s and .357s, and they are only about 1/3 full of powder. A 9mm is smaller than a .38 too, but it has as much or more umph. Carry what you feel most comfortable with and what you can shoot the best. Being able to hit your target trumps the caliber every time.

Quote Originally Posted by jessicahewitt View Post
    I sold my LCP and bought a Kimber Solo and Kel Tec PF9. A little larger but 9 mm.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so here it is.

Attachment 65304

While the Sig carries more rounds, the size of the individual round says it all. It should also be noted that the Sig weighs ten ounces more than the little Smith. Of course, the revolver is a real handful to shoot.
    Size isn't everything. a .38 special is physically larger than a lot of rounds that are far, far more powerful, and also more compact.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links