Why I no longer carry a .380

This is a discussion on Why I no longer carry a .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so here it is. 001.JPG While the Sig carries more rounds, the size of the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Why I no longer carry a .380

Why I no longer carry a .380

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so here it is.

001.JPG

While the Sig carries more rounds, the size of the individual round says it all. It should also be noted that the Sig weighs ten ounces more than the little Smith. Of course, the revolver is a real handful to shoot.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Nice . I have a 442 that I carry in rotation to my .380.

Did ya trade in .380?

You mean you've been carrying a .380 up until (gulp!)...now? Well Done! Good choice Rocky Top!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    While the Sig carries more rounds, the size of the individual round says it all.
    The round is longer? I get what you are trying to say, but it has more to do with the .38 Special being longer. Whatever makes you happy!
    surefire7 and medcheese like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There a place for just about any round in the SD world. No one is the magic answer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds good to me. I am addicted to the 357 mag. I know all the research shows it's not at it's best from a 2" gun but, I like it, at this time I can still handle it, and I only carry revolvers. When I can't handle it I will step back to 38+P and I don't have to change guns.
    blitzburgh likes this.

I can honestly say i would not want either one of those pointed at my head! Carry what makes you feel comfortable, and what you can most accurately shoot. A misplaced shot in either caliber means possible negligent homicide. bunker
    BradL and Bigen03 like this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    You mean you've been carrying a .380 up until (gulp!)...now? Well Done! Good choice Rocky Top!

Well I really had two .380s and rotated them. Something about that "real guys carry semi-autos thing", and of course it has to be small enough that you can actually carry it. I tried going to bigger semi-autos and ended up with a couple of .45s that I could just never get comfortable with carrying. All of them are great guns and a lot of fun to shoot at the range, but when I realized what I was really looking for in a self defense gun, I found the revolver. It's very light, easy to carry and conceal, and packs a heck of a punch. It's not much fun to shoot at the range. As a matter of fact, it really isn't fun to shoot at all, but for me it's perfect for what I need it for.

Everybody has to make their own decision as to what they want to carry and what they are comfortable with. There's no perfect gun for everybody. I just posted this so that people who might otherwise never consider a revolver would give it some thought and also because I enjoy posting pictures of my guns.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

No one is the magic answer.
    Oh heck, and I had so hoped my .357 sig was the magic answer. Dang you Old Vet, you just live to burst my bubble don't you?
    oneshot likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Well, when you look at the .380 and .38 from the business end, the diameter is exactly the same.

M-F I carry a .38 and a .380, so I guess I like 'em both.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Well... external appearances don't always 'splain things.

I don't have a .380 round to dissect, but I grabbed a .38 +P cartridge and unloaded it - see the attached photo. The 125 gr bullet is just slightly over a third heavier than the 90 gr common to .380s.

The loaded .38 Spl round is about 1.4" long, a .380 is just under an inch. But inside that .38 +P, there's a half an inch of... nothing. The internal case depth is less than half consumed by bullet and powder.

So I won't condemn your choice of pocket gun, but base it on something other than the external size of the ammo. Energy, bullet weight, historical effectiveness are all good places to start.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'd rather carry the .380.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    While there is certainly merit to what you are saying, I'm not sure what it is in the pic
    that is supposed to convey the message that 38 sp is better than 380. Are you looking at
    the length of the cartridge? That by itself is not relevant. 9mm is also much shorter than 38 sp.

I happen to like the little smiths quite well, and if they are someone's cup of tea that is fine.
    They will get no argument from me. I just don't think it makes much difference at belly distance or
    at just a few feet; your opinion and "mileage" will vary.
    oneshot and tcox4freedom like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Most people that carry or have a need for a 380 make it one of micro lites. With so many 9mms rangeing from 10oz to 19oz and some of those in 40cal there little reason to sarry a 20oz+ 380.
    Bullet1234, candalos and nedrgr21 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    While there is certainly merit to what you are saying, I'm not sure what it is in the pic
    that is supposed to convey the message that 38 sp is better than 380. Are you looking at
    the length of the cartridge? That by itself is not relevant. 9mm is also much shorter than 38 sp.

I happen to like the little smiths quite well, and if they are someone's cup of tea that is fine.
    They will get no argument from me. I just don't think it makes much difference at belly distance or
    at just a few feet; your opinion and "mileage" will vary.
    Actually I was hoping that people could see that a 125 grain .357 magnum cartridge might be superior in stopping power to a 95 grain .380 ACP cartridge. My bad.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links