Safety issue

This is a discussion on Safety issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this will make me sound ignorant regarding safe gun handling practices, but I have wrestled with an issue ever since I began carrying ...

Thread: Safety issue

Safety issue

I know this will make me sound ignorant regarding safe gun handling practices, but I have wrestled with an issue ever since I began carrying in May of this year. The issue being that when loading or unloading my semi-automatic weapon which includes chambering, or clearing a round from the chamber, proper safety dictates that the weapon be pointing in a safe direction while performing that action. Since I live in a subdivision where my single story home is surrounded on all sides by other houses, I am limited basically to pointing the weapon straight down, usually over the bed to carry out the procedure. Even straight down presents a problem in the event something went wrong and the weapon discharged; the floor under the bed is carpet over concrete and a ricochet could occur. I am faced with this situation at least once a month due to the fact that I have to unload the gun before taking it to the indoor range where I shoot. They have a rule that all weapons must be unloaded with the action locked open before entering the door. I am really interested in hearing from others in the group just how to safely handle this situation. My wife has ruled out a barrel of sand anywhere in the house, and driving far out into the country to find a safe place to load and unload is not an option.

Thanks
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Remove Ads

Gimp, try this: http://www.bagmaster.com/. Scroll down and I think you will find an answer.

The SafeDirection Pads. I've thought about a pair of those to put in my briefcase as portable "armor".

Assistant Administrator
    proper safety dictates that the weapon be pointing in a safe direction while performing that action.
    Absolutely.

I haven't checked re the link given above but - IMO a simple expedient is two sand bags. I use a couple of old shot bags and inside placed a poly bag - to stop dust coming out, and fill with coarse sand. Close up with a few turns of duct tape.

I use these actually for bench rest at range but in office when needing a safe place to point - just place muzzle a few inches from the two - one atop the other. My floor is actually safe as underneath is gravel but - I do think this is a useful extra and - two bags will stop or at very least hugely decelerate a pistol round.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    According to the Box O Truth, 6" of sand will stop a pistol round nicely.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Lead Moderator
    a small sealed bucket of sand should work ok. Or as suggested the gun pads or body armor.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    Sandbags, like has been said. Or even a bucket filled with sand, in a corner.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I don't unload my weapon very often. I have no issue with dropping the mag, clearing the round and locking the slide while keeping my finger off the trigger.

You can also get a gun with a mag safety disconnect so you can drop the mag before you remove the gun from the holster. No issue for me.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks guys for all the great information and suggestions. I believe I'll go with the sand in the bucket solution. I have an old empty one gallon paint can in the garage that should work out fine. Since the can is already there my wife shouldn't have a problem with me just filling it with sand. Once again, the members of this forum have been very helpful to me.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

will one gallon cut it? i would prefer a 5 or a least one of those square 2 gallon laundry soap bucket .

not tested personal opinion . give me a day or two to find a paint can and test it.

elance

If you're in a brick house, just find a wall thats not too near a window. I promise that the round will not exit.

Quote Originally Posted by elance View Post
    will one gallon cut it? i would prefer a 5 or a least one of those square 2 gallon laundry soap bucket .

not tested personal opinion . give me a day or two to find a paint can and test it.

elance
    I smell a science experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    I smell a science experiment!
    Too late; http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7.htm

Looks like around six inches will stop anything short of possibly AP ammo.

Pretty impressive, really. It definitely makes sand an attractive barrier, given the price and availability.

I made something that is probably right up your alley.

I was painting my house (outside) earlier this year and used a number of those plastic, 5 gal containers that they sell bulk paint in these days. I took an empty jug, took off the lid, placed some pieces of 2"X4" in the bottom of the bucket, then filled it about 3/4 full with playground sand. I replaced the lid and that is now my "test" bucket. BTW, the pour spout makes a perfect entry point for the barrel and prevents any blow back of sand or dust.

I've tried it with .22's, 9mm, .38 SPL, .45 ACP & 40 S&W. The bullets have never penetrated the sand more than 3-4 inches. If a bullet did manage to penetrate over a foot of sand, the 2"x4"'s should take care of it. The thing is also HEAVY, so it's not going anywhere unless I pick it up and move it. You could even add some water or other liquid to it and the bullets would probably barely break the sand, but it would be so darn heavy you would need two people to move it.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Links