Mom's New CCW

Mom's New CCW

This is a discussion on Mom's New CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mother took her CWP class with a .38 snubbie. She originally wanted to go with a revolver because of her arthritis. She had doubts ...

Thread: Mom's New CCW

Mom's New CCW

My mother took her CWP class with a .38 snubbie. She originally wanted to go with a revolver because of her arthritis. She had doubts about being able to rack a slide, clear any malfunctions, etc. since the 'state of her hands' varies minute to minute, day by day. After 30 rounds, she couldn't handle the .38 anymore, so the instructor let her use his Kel-Tech .32 - and she fell in love with it.

Well, as a Christmas present, I got her one. We picked it up today (I gave it to her early since her permit came in the mail about a week ago) and of course I have my doubts about it.

When I held it in my hand, it felt like a toy. My first thought was "this things gonna break after 50 rounds", break as in, just fall apart. I seriously thought I was going to break it when I was racking the slide. But it's what she wants and what she will carry, so of course that's top priority.

I haven't got to fire it yet, so I really don't have much faith in it based on my first impression. Does anybody have any experience with this weapon? I'm looking for some "confidence", even though it won't be I who's carrying it, somebody very dear to me will be. Are these things durable?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Administrator
    I've had a p32 for years, and like it a lot for what it is. They are a little finicky on ammo, they do not like junk ammo. The lowest price range ammo I can get away with is WWB. Anything less, forget about it. I've not had any issues with premium defense ammo.
    Small pistol, small caliber and inexperienced (not saying you or momma are, I don't know either if you) shooters can be troublesome. Give it time and practice, it'll be fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks, SIXTO. From my experiences, I've found these smaller guns to be finnicky on ammo so I told her she'll need to buy a few brands and see what will feed reliably. She did great with it during her CWP class and also stayed late to put more rounds through the one she borrowed to see if it was really what she wanted. She was a lot more accurate with it than the snubbie.

Maybe it's just my big paws, but this thing just doesn't feel durable to me. That's really my main concern. I know reliability varies from gun to gun (lemons and whatnot). At least with other's views who've actually owned and shot this weapon coupled with me seeing how it performs tomorrow will give me some peace of mind.

If all works out well with her and this 32, looks like I end up with another snubbie.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

edit: oops

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Kel-Tech .32 ... I have my doubts about it.

... felt like a toy ... "this things gonna break after 50 rounds" ...

Are these things durable?
    The word on the street is: they're intended to be carried a lot, shot a little. Had one for some years, pushing several thousand rounds through it. So long as it's an occasionally-fired gun, I wouldn't worry too much. Nicely, it's inexpensive enough that having a second around might be well worth doing (for a number of reasons).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Appreciated, ccw9mm. I'm not really worried about the second time around (but I see your point), if it doesn't hold up it's end of the deal when it counts the most, there won't be a second time around for either one.

I haven't heard anything too bad about this gun. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

StarPD45
    My P32 is one of my BUGs. A few hundred rounds through it without a hitch. I'm using the Fiochi 73g FMJ. I have a box of Silvertips, but haven't tried them yet.
    Small, light, not much kick. Sure beats a rock or a stick, though no substitute for my 45ACP.

I've got a Kel-Tec .32, with maybe 3-400 rounds through it by now. I carry it infrequently, and I just shoot a few dozen rounds a couple of times a year so I don't forget how it feels and how it shoots. I think I've run mostly Federal and Fiocchi ball through it, and it's never had a hiccup since the first time I shot it and the mag release button parted company. (Easily fixed by the range gunsmith.) I regard it as an "eye socket" gun that won't do much for me beyond bad-breath distance. But, better than a police whistle.

FWIW, I've gone back and forth between FMJ and Win Silvertips for what I carry in the gun; I'm not convinced that one is a death ray and the other is useless. It's completely reliable with either.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses as your opinions are ones I respect.

I'll keep the ammo listed in mind when we go shopping tomorrow.

Something to keep in mind, as well: the KelTec mouseguns can be a whale of a gun to shoot, for the uninitiated. At least, in the .380, it can have a fairly sharp slap on the hand. Anything beyond 20rds or so is likely to get old ... fast.

Can't speak to the .32 for sheer entertainment value, but it's likely to be similarly heavy on the hands (though perhaps somewhat lighter).

In short: I don't think overusing it at the range is going to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The word on the street is: they're intended to be carried a lot, shot a little. Had one for some years, pushing several thousand rounds through it. So long as it's an occasionally-fired gun, I wouldn't worry too much. Nicely, it's inexpensive enough that having a second around might be well worth doing (for a number of reasons).
    This is true...they're not range guns or really fun to shoot...small and convenient to carry. You're not likely to put thousands down the tube on these...we've got several keltec 9's here that have been quite reliable, one since 1996 or so. A few mags every couple of months for familiarization is about all it's shot, but is the go-to pocket gun when one on the hip can't be.

Another useful feature: the finger extension floor plates for the magazines. Makes a world of difference for improving handling, control while firing. I'd strongly recommend getting several spare mags, and one of the floor plates for each of the mags.

Links