Any experience with the SD9 VE?

This is a discussion on Any experience with the SD9 VE? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard (read) some good things about the Smith & Wesson SD9 VE, their update of the Sigma (no flames - I still own a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Any experience with the SD9 VE?

I've heard (read) some good things about the Smith & Wesson SD9 VE, their update of the Sigma (no flames - I still own a first gen Sigma, and, despite it's gun forum reputation, has been a good - if little carried - reliable gun. Love the grip angle, etc...the VE on the SD 9 is for "Value Enhanced" I believe. Gun shop folks from three places say it has some lousy trigger issues, but overall a well-built firearm for around 300 bucks. I haven't shot it, but those that have say it's a serviceable weapon. Breaks down like the Glock-copy it is,Smith's may be trying to cut into the lower cost market. I'm just curious about folks that own it. Anybody?

Sub standard trigger on the one I shot, but overall a good value from a good company.
    atctimmy likes this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I'm gathering intel for one of my young ones...he's looking for his first carry sidearm....he has shot my .40 sigma some and likes it ok, so he thinks he'll like the SD verssion...they're really pretty close. The SD VE has a better feeling trigger, I think. I know Sigmas got bad press out of the gate, but I haven't found it to be a terrible gun. I think the Glock lawsuit tainted the reputation somewhat.

I've only shot the .40, wasn't much impressed but also wasn't disappointed.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Does the magazines interchange btw the SD and the SW VE?
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Re: Any experience with the SD9 VE?

I EDC a 9VE. I like it. Has a higher trigger pull that a lot of guns but it doesnt bother me. Ive put about 500 rounds through and havent had a single problem. If you are looking for a solid gun on a budget i recommed it.
    Diddle and Richard58 like this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

I checked one out at the LGS, it was an okay gun. The trigger pull was iffy but for 250-300 bucks it seemed like a quality gun.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    trigger pull is not iffy, just heavy and very fixable if needed with a 20 dollar apex kit. Iffy should mean it my or my not fuction.
    Richard58 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    For a firearm in the $250.00 to $300.00 class, I consider it to be a darn good option regardless of the trigger. In a life or death situation the trigger is least of my concerns. Reliability is paramount and I've never had a reliability issue with a Sigma.
    Richard58, 1959, atctimmy and 1 others like this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I don't own a Sigma but having had the opportunity to shoot an SD9, I'd say yeah, nothing phenomenal but very far from bad. One of my friends owns and still regularly carries his first gen Sigma and it's never given him any real problems worth noting, and he's practiced with it pretty regularly over the years. Sigma, both new and old aren't the best guns but again, very servicable in my opinion.
    Richard58 likes this.

cthruit,
    Like you, I went through the process of looking for a handgun for my son. Here's my initial thread: What gun would you suggest for my son?
    Here's the follow up:
    What gun would you suggest for my son?

There''s a LOT of bad press out there for the S&W Sigma. In addition, there have been multilple iterations of the Sigma, followed by the SD and the VE series; I believe they've even dropped "Sigma" from the current versioin. Bottom line, I just didn't feel comfortable buying one of these, especially since I was able to find a used Glock 19 for not much more than a new S&W. In addition, he felt comfortable shooting a borrowed Glock; I couldn't find a S&W for him to shoot. I might still get a SD/VE someday for me to play w/ if I find a great buy on it.

Good luck w/ your journey! Your son's fortunate you're taking such an active interest in him.
    cthruit likes this.

CJM
    First off, the SD and the Sigma are not the same gun. Yes the mags interchange, but that is where the similarities stop. If the trigger doesn't suit a person, Apex sells a kit for $20 that makes it a very usable trigger.

In my experience, I would gladly buy an SD9, original or VE, but I would not own a Sigma if it was given to me.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The simga I have is the last version sw40ve and works great and as lighter than the SDxve series. And the trigger to start with does not have awful gritty m&p trigger. Spring kit makes for a nice pistol at a very fair price.. 285 around here for the last couple our lgs has. mine cost me 265 couple years ago.
    Richard58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    For a firearm in the $250.00 to $300.00 class, I consider it to be a darn good option regardless of the trigger. In a life or death situation the trigger is least of my concerns. Reliability is paramount and I've never had a reliability issue with a Sigma.
    My sigma has never gave a problem. I like the trigger just like it came from the factory. Just wish I got the 9mm instead of the 40sw due to ammo cost. I'v run a bunch of rounds through mine and it get costly. Might have to get into reloading to save money.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I think the Sigma is one of the best budget guns on the market. I have owned two (my nephew still owns my first one) that have been 100% reliable. The first one has seen 1500 rounds between the two of us. I bought it used. My second one has just over 400 rounds through it. The new SD looks to be a Sigma with a better trigger and a rail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links