Any opinions on my next potential conceal gun?

This is a discussion on Any opinions on my next potential conceal gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like everyone is in love with plastics and I even fell for it originally when I bought my hi point. Now I want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any opinions on my next potential conceal gun?

Any opinions on my next potential conceal gun?

It seems like everyone is in love with plastics and I even fell for it originally when I bought my hi point. Now I want to get back to what I learned on, and that's steel. I have been looking at a S&W 5906 as my next conceal gun and without having to read the 257 pages of "what do you carry" sticky, can anyone with experience tell me any of the following 1. any negatives to the gun, 2. the best place you have found to conceal this specific gun, and 3. what is a reasonable price with the current market.

If anyone can lend thier experience, I would be appreciative.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The 5906 is a somewhat dated gun, it's heavy and a little large for a ccw. But it is a good gun.
    Where to carry it on you- well that depends more on you and your holster selection than it does the gun. Price- they run the full spectrum. A NIB 5906 can set you back a bit, but a police trade in can be had rather cheaply.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I hear you...it's definately not a new gun. Here's my thought process. It is a 3rd Gen so it's not antique, and from the research I've done it seems like a lot of 4th gen guns are having issues that need to be worked out. Something I don't want to deal with when it comes to self defense. Sorry if some of my questions seem like that of a misinformed greenie, but that's why I am here and in my military days there weren't no 4th gen. I'll not take offense if someone calls me out and proves me an idiot.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Well I am not sure where you will be carrying in Illinois. But either way the gun is easy to carry with a proper rig. A good belt and holster will go along way.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I had a 1994 model 5906 9MM, but was too heavy (40 oz), for me, to CC comfortably. I sold it, with the original case, purchase receipt, and manual for $500 this past July. I would recommend something lighter such as a XD, S & W M & P (29 oz) that can be purchased used for less $$$ and would be, IMO, far easier to CC.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I carry my 4003 in a Theis , basically the same gun with an aluminum frame.
    It conceals well and isn't too bad to carry.

I, too, would suggest something else, but my suggestion would be for either a CZ75B, or a CZ2075 RAMI. Both are steel, and not extraordinarily heavy.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The 5906 is a somewhat dated gun, it's heavy and a little large for a ccw. But it is a good gun.
    Where to carry it on you- well that depends more on you and your holster selection than it does the gun. Price- they run the full spectrum. A NIB 5906 can set you back a bit, but a police trade in can be had rather cheaply.
    Hah! I'm somewhat dated, heavy, and a little large.

Actually I love handguns with a little size and weight for concealed carry. I still consider both the 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson and the full-sized Colt Government Model to be medium weight handguns but as I said, I'm somewhat dated. I could warm up to the notion of carrying the Smith & Wesson Model 5906.

I don't generally wear a 1911 IWB unless I'm in a suit or a covering jacket in cool weather. Don't really like to go about with my shirt untucked but went about town one summer's day earlier this year concealing the 1911 with the simple expedient of leaving the shirt tail out.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hah! I'm somewhat dated, heavy, and a little large.
    That's how I feel. I'm 6'2 and around 225 so I'm not much worried about the size. As for the weight, I feel much more comfortable shooting a heavy gun than a poly as for some reason the smaller polys feel like toys to me. I feel like I can recover from the recoil quickly and if I ever need to buttstroke an assailant I can rest assured the results will be gruesome.

I went ahead and bought the 5906

Final price after tax was around $390. I couldnt pass it up. Retired Illinois State Trooper bought it new and just sold it two days ago. It looks like it has cycled rounds but never been shot. Now to decide where to carry it. It will fit well in my shoulder holster, but I want to try an inside the pant holster next.
    gasmitty and vista461 like this.
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

Hi Hedimitrius;

You and I are about the same size. I'm 6'3" but weigh the same as you do.

That's a great looking Smith & Wesson pistol you have there. If I had any sense I'd pick one of those up myself. I used to have no opinion on the Smith & Wesson automatics from the Model 39 forward but some of the steel models are pretty intriguing. They really are attractive pistols, especially when compared to today's slate of popular handguns. Somehow they almost look more "modern" than the run-of-the-mill pistols currently sold which all look like cordless drills.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Agreed! 3rd Gen S&W autoloaders are terrific pistols. I've got a BUNCH of "dated" & "modern" handguns and I'm STILL looking for the right 3913NLS to put in my EDC rotation.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I've found you can rarely go wrong with a Smith & Wesson for EDC, in a previous EDC rotation I carried my S&W 908S in a Crossbreed holster and my shirts would cover it right up, it was like I was carrying nothing at all.

Nice purchase! With your size it shouldn't be to uncomfortable to carry. I was going to suggest the S&W 469 or 669 which is 1/2" shorter in the barrel and about 3/4" shorter in length and about 12 oz less. I'm sure it's a sweet shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    That's how I feel. I'm 6'2 and around 225 so I'm not much worried about the size. As for the weight, I feel much more comfortable shooting a heavy gun than a poly as for some reason the smaller polys feel like toys to me. I feel like I can recover from the recoil quickly and if I ever need to buttstroke an assailant I can rest assured the results will be gruesome.

I went ahead and bought the 5906

Final price after tax was around $390. I couldnt pass it up. Retired Illinois State Trooper bought it new and just sold it two days ago. It looks like it has cycled rounds but never been shot. Now to decide where to carry it. It will fit well in my shoulder holster, but I want to try an inside the pant holster next.
    have you shot anything polymer besides a hi point? Are you seriously doing all this condemning of polymer pistols based on a hi point?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    We got a 5906 for the middle son when he was in the academy. It was a great shooting gun, and was the right gun to buy for a new pistol shooter. It had enough weight to tame any recoil, and I don't remember any flaws. it is a little large for a carry gun but with the right belt and holster it could be comfortable. His second gun was an alloy framed 5903, it was much lighter and easier to carry. For an every day gun tho I'm sure Id be looking for a smaller gun. DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links