SP 101 "Club"

This is a discussion on SP 101 "Club" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The word club reminded me of an American Indian I worked with on the West Coast Waterfront. He said growing up before his tribe would ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: SP 101 "Club"

The word club reminded me of an American Indian I worked with on the West Coast Waterfront. He said growing up before his tribe would consider him a man he had to kill a mountain lion with just a club. We all said, damn that must have been hard.

He said not really there was 50 of us in the club and we all had high powered rifles.

The Sp101 is a wonderful gun. I carried one today. I had to keep pulling my pants up because while my belly is growing, my butt seems to be shrinking. I only shoot .38spl +P in it as I don't see much advantage to the .357 in a 2 1/4 barrel. the bullet is long gone, but the powder is still burning. I see they are making a short barrel .357 bullet now, but I have yet to put my eyeballs on some. At any rate welcome to the club.
    Cokeman and Snub44 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Snub44, first let me say that was just plain mean posting that link to such beutiful guns. But thank you. DannyB1954, I have for some time heard that the .357 in a short barrel really didnt make since and that it lost tremendous amounts of powerto the point it was no better than a .38(not knocking the .38 at all). Now I dont chronigraph loads, but I was reading Grant Cunningham and he mentioned that even out of a short barrel gun the .357 still had tremendous more velocity coming out of the barrel than a .38+p. Anyhow I love the sp101 whether its in .38 or .357.

Love mine but hard to change out to houge grips. Firing 158 gr .357 round was like slamming my hand in a car door. Once i changed grips, I can shoot it all day long with the same rounds.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

...I put the Packy Compacs on it...the grips were too small for my paws...

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Chief1297 I have to agree. I changed to rubber hogues after my first range trip. The grips that came on them caused the trigger guard to bite into my middle finger everytime I shot mag loads in it. About a year or so ago I switched to wood hogues. I like them alot. I've thought about maybe trying some Badger or Eagle secret service for more concealability when finally get cc permit.

I, as well am a dedicated member of this club! Over the years, I have owned, carried and sold bunches of autos, some wheels and this Ruger sp101 2" 357 will be in my will. I was a bit worried about the recoil when I got it, having had neck fusion, elbow and wrist reconstruction...(left overs from open heart surgery gone wild)...but with the stock grips it was very manageable. I since got hogues and look for even better handling. I flat out LOVE this gun! I wear a motorcycle club vest daily, so I had one built for me with 2 holsters on the inside pockets. I can carry this Ruger with ease unnoticed everywhere.

I have the 2 1/4" bbl DA only with Badger grips. They are great carry guns big enough to really be able to fight with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Snub44, first let me say that was just plain mean posting that link to such beutiful guns. But thank you. DannyB1954, I have for some time heard that the .357 in a short barrel really didnt make since and that it lost tremendous amounts of powerto the point it was no better than a .38(not knocking the .38 at all). Now I dont chronigraph loads, but I was reading Grant Cunningham and he mentioned that even out of a short barrel gun the .357 still had tremendous more velocity coming out of the barrel than a .38+p. Anyhow I love the sp101 whether its in .38 or .357.
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .38 Special Results Corbon 125 JHP 2" barrel 723 fps.
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results Corbon 125 JHP 2" barrel 904 fps.

Or 181fps difference with the same manufacturer, same weight bullet. These stats are for .38 special, not +P, so add a little more velocity to the 723. I figure you might gain a 100fps difference going to the magnum, but you lose some time getting back on target, it is noisy as all heck, and there is a lot of flash. Your hand also takes more punishment in a light weight revolver. The .38+p has more than enough [power to go through someone, so how much is enough? in an urban environment, even if you do not hit your target, you most likely will hit something, or someone. ,(Like a person behind the bad guy, or in the next room). I am happy with the .38+p

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .38 Special Results Corbon 125 JHP 2" barrel 723 fps.
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results Corbon 125 JHP 2" barrel 904 fps.

Or 181fps difference with the same manufacturer, same weight bullet. These stats are for .38 special, not +P, so add a little more velocity to the 723. I figure you might gain a 100fps difference going to the magnum, but you lose some time getting back on target, it is noisy as all heck, and there is a lot of flash. Your hand also takes more punishment in a light weight revolver. The .38+p has more than enough [power to go through someone, so how much is enough? in an urban environment, even if you do not hit your target, you most likely will hit something, or someone. ,(Like a person behind the bad guy, or in the next room). I am happy with the .38+p

Been a "club member" since July of 2011. Love my SP101 ! Have the same one you ordered, put Hogue rubber stocks..runs like a champ!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

It has been a good, long time, but my 2.5" SP101 came last week (May 5, 2013). I have been a 1911 "guy" forever and I really like my Beretta 92, but I wanted a good revolver. I have a good revolver now. In the week or so that I have had the gun, I have put about 100 rounds of .357's through it. Recoil is very manageable, double action accuracy was dubvious at first but that was because of me. I own a single action Ruger that is an exceptional gun. The SP101 is every bit as well made.

I wrote before that I doubt this gun will take the place of my 1911's, but my SP101 is going to get a lot of use - a lot more then I anticipated. It appears to be a very fine gun. Thanks for all the input. Everyone here helped. Now, for the holster selection.

If I knew how to post pictures, I would, but it is a standard issue SP101. Great gun!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Wow. That was a LONG wait. Glad you got your Ruger.

I own two SP 101's a 3.06 with external hammer and a 2.5 with bobbed hammer. They are a hoot to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    An Sp 101 in a 3 inch barrel is just plain pretty...no magnum rounds for me either....38 +P SWHPs...use to carry those in a Colt Detective Special 2 inch in yesteryear...
    That was our duty load back in my "revolver days" before the Glock 9's came onboard. I'd use them again in a heartbeat in my SP101, although those Speer Gold Dot 135's are made especially for snubbies. NYPD has had luck with them also.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I looked at a very attractive SP 101 .22 at my LGS recently, and passed due to the most horrendous trigger I've ever tried. I was physically unable to pull the trigger all the way back on that gun, which I still can't believe, since I shoot double action S&W's all the time. Even my husband struggled a bit with it.

So, I was reluctant to try out a friend's new SP 101 .357 snubbie recently... but didn't want to offend. Turns out, it was nice. REALLY nice. Now, this was .38 ammo in a .357, plus a trigger job and Hogue grips... but it was (wince cringe) even nicer than the heavier, well-worn Smiths I usually shoot (which also have trigger jobs).

Based on that shooting experience, I can see why there's a fan club. Very nice gun!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links