Looking for suggestions on my first CCW

This is a discussion on Looking for suggestions on my first CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím looking for my first ccw and have an idea of what I want in a pistol. Just not what pistol I want. I'm really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for suggestions on my first CCW

Looking for suggestions on my first CCW

Iím looking for my first ccw and have an idea of what I want in a pistol. Just not what pistol I want. I'm really not sure what is out there that meets my needs or more accurately my desires. I know I want a 9mmm and I want something concealable about the size of the G26 or smaller. I've held what I call skinny guns like the Taurus 709 slim and they just aren't comfortable to me. I like the girth of the G26 or the xd9. I prefer something with a hammer and decocker like my Taurus pt-92. And of course price is a concern. I would like to stay in the $450 or below range. I haven't ruled out the G26 but prefer the additional safety on something like the Barreta px4. I would like to explore what is available in hammer fired guns first. Iím just not sure what is out there. What other brands/models should I be looking at?

2. Remove Ads

Based on your requirements, I immediately thought Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro.

VIP Member
    Sounds like the CZ RAMI BD fits your want's, other than price.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: Looking for suggestions on my first CCW

Well you keep on mentioning the G26, so I say get the G26. You could probably find a used one at your price range.

Even the Beretta PX4 is unlikely to meet your financial requirements. I carry the PX4 Compact (15+1) and a good price for one of those is $500.

Good luck.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Hard to beat a GLOCK 26, just as safe as any gun when your booger hook is off of the boom switch. Also less levers to actuate in those fractions of seconds that may decide whether you live or die.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sounds like the CZ RAMI BD fits your want's, other than price.
    As would the HK P2000SK.....
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Not a big fan of the "cocked and locked" guns myself. I don't trust myself in a stressful situation to press the safety. I like the DAO guns better. My preference is the XD, but there are plenty out there. I say rent a few and shoot them to see what works for you.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Yeah, unfortunately my taste often gets ahead of my budget.

Why the need for a hammer? Just wondering if it's a preference or what. Cooked and locked isn't something I trust myself with either in a high stress situation. But for your needs, beretta or bersa sounds about right.. save a few more dollars and get the beretta.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If I were in your shoes, I would go with the G26 or maybe the G27. Both cost the same in most stores.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Hard to beat a GLOCK 26, just as safe as any gun when your booger hook is off of the boom switch. Also less levers to actuate in those fractions of seconds that may decide whether you live or die.
    I agree...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    Why the need for a hammer? Just wondering if it's a preference or what. Cooked and locked isn't something I trust myself with either in a high stress situation. But for your needs, beretta or bersa sounds about right.. save a few more dollars and get the beretta.
    I like the idea of the safety and decocking. I just don't know how comfortable I would be walking around with a cocked pistol in my pants all day. I may settle on the glock but was just curious what was out there in the type of pistol I described.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    I like the idea of the safety and decocking. I just don't know how comfortable I would be walking around with a cocked pistol in my pants all day. I may settle on the glock but was just curious what was out there in the type of pistol I described.
    I sincerely hope you carry a pistol in a holster.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Glock 26 is a great gun. Sig makes some guns with hammers that might be worth looking at. Not sure what they go for these days though. I think the polymer ones should be "competitive" with the Glocks/Beretta/XD/M&P stuff though.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links