S&W 5906 or RIA 1911 Tactical compact

This is a discussion on S&W 5906 or RIA 1911 Tactical compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the question: Years ago I had to sell some of my guns because money got a little tight and I had to sell some ...

Thread: S&W 5906 or RIA 1911 Tactical compact

Smile S&W 5906 or RIA 1911 Tactical compact

Here's the question:
    Years ago I had to sell some of my guns because money got a little tight and I had to sell some of my guns, one of which was a S&W 5906 with the square trigger guard(the other gun was a Winchester Trapper 16" .357(good luck finding one that's not $700 or more). Flash forward to today, money is not as tight(I now have a daughter's tuition to pay for) and I am looking for another 5906. It was my first "big boy" firearm and I really miss it. I currently have a RIA Tactical compact(officer's) and since I can't justify to my wife(at least right now) of having two pistols(Did I mention money was a little tight?), I am looking to possibly sell the Rock Island and buy a 5906. I have seen quite a few on Gunbroker and the Cheaper Than Dirt near me gets some in as trade-ins fairly often. I like the .45 round but I also miss the 5906 and ammo is not as expensive either. Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks and Merry Christmas from North Texas

2. Remove Ads

The 5906 won't conceal as easy as the 1911 compact,but the 6906 is the little brother to the 5906 and can be had in the $350 price range,which is about all your gonna get for a used RIA compact,IMHO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The 5906 won't conceal as easy as the 1911 compact,but the 6906 is the little brother to the 5906 and can be had in the $350 price range,which is about all your gonna get for a used RIA compact,IMHO
    I like the 6906 but read somewhere(another forum...Gasp!) that it can't handle +p rounds because it has an aluminum frame.I don't know if this is true or not. I have seen the 5906 in the $350-390 range on Gunbroker and you're right that would probably be all I could get for the RIA. Maybe I'll keep the Rock and customize the heck out of it!

If you had a 5906, you know it can't be beat. IMHO, I'd rather have a 3rd generation S&W than any other pistol (I have four of them).
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have the 5906's little brother (6906) and bigger brother (4566) and love them both. CDNN's latest catalog has the 5906 for $330, the 6906 for $370. Start a piggy bank.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links