Your EDC - Page 2

Your EDC

This is a discussion on Your EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I'm the oddball. My P250 is polymer and stainless two tone. It really doesn't matter though as an EDC gun isn't seen much ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Your EDC

I guess I'm the oddball. My P250 is polymer and stainless two tone. It really doesn't matter though as an EDC gun isn't seen much anyway. Looks good when I'm shooting at the range...
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

BLACK Glock26, s&w 9mm shield, s&w 442, gunsite Colt C.C.O. with black alumina grips. If it aint black on black I'm not real sure I'll carry it

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    All black - my guns are for shooting - not for show and tell.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Good question.

I got the SR9c in duo tone because I want the other person to see I'm pointing a gun. I'm not interested in "stealth." I want a big, loud statement: "I am pointing a gun at you." It is in my interest that the other person has every possible opportunity to prevent a shooting. Hands up, run away, whatever, I would really prefer an outcome that does not involve the discharge of the firearm.

This discussion comes up a lot. Many times, here and elsewhere, we see the viewpoint expressed as: "If I have to produce my gun, I will shoot." And this attitude is wrong. It is always wrong.

You pull your gun and point it and start squeezing the trigger and until the hammer drops you have every opportunity to stop. It's up to you how far the situation progresses. The bad guy does not control the outcome. You do. A gun that is obviously a gun allows both you and the threat to understand the situation.
    BradL likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Aside from the cheesy durakote type paint jobs I like most finishes and have guns that are done in a number of different finishes, but my favorite is good ol' fashion blue job. My duty carry is a dark earth FNP45 Tactical, the finish is rugged and that's what is important for that gun. But my primary off duty piece is a custom Colt 1991A1 Compact done in a beautiful high polish blue and stag grips. I say carry what you like, and I like good looking guns.
    Last edited by WC145; December 15th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I like black guns. or blued. I was raised with black firearms, and brown too. The only other color I could remember at the time was nickel colored revolvers. This was a loooong time ago.

Black and polymer. I'm all about light and low maintenance. I carry a plain vanilla Glock 19. I may get a stainless j frame however. Just 'cause.

Poly semi-autos and some 1911's - black....other 1911's and revolvers, stainless, nickel or some variation thereof...
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Your EDC

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Good question.

I got the SR9c in duo tone because I want the other person to see I'm pointing a gun. I'm not interested in "stealth." I want a big, loud statement: "I am pointing a gun at you." It is in my interest that the other person has every possible opportunity to prevent a shooting. Hands up, run away, whatever...
    I understand what you're saying here but it sounds like a bit of a stretch. I want black to help conceal it while its in my holster. There will be no confusion about who is pointing a gun at who regardless of the color of the gun after its drawn.

Stainless Steel revolvers for me!

Last edited by dawei; December 16th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

My EDC will be the Springfield XDS in black.
    john.shewchuk likes this.

IMO the three best finishes for an EDC gun are black, black or black(in that order). I actually prefer parkerized guns over blued, only because it doesn't seem to wear as quickly as many blued finishes. If you really carry often, that will be an issue. If you're into polymer guns, then the question is already answered for you.

Since my EDC's are Glocks ....... guess I prefer black..... but I don't get hung up on color.... just like my Glocks.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

All colors work...

Over the years I have carried a variety of guns in many finishes and colors. These have ranged from black Glocks to all stainless revolvers to two tone black and stainless guns. I am more concerned about the corrosion resistance and durability of the gun's finish than the exact color. As for the "stealth" argument favoring black guns, it seems to me that if a gun is concealed under your clothing it will be invisible to others regardless of the color.

I can also see the logic in an argument mentioned above that you want your adversary to see the gun plainly if you draw it, so that he can have the opportunity to retreat or surrender, avoiding a shooting. This argument would favor a stainless gun, which is highly visible.

In the photo below you can see the color contrast between two of my recent carry guns, a black Glock and a stainless color Sig.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My current ones are stainless (Colt Commander) and Black S+W 442. Color is not a determining factor. As pogo said, they will not be seen and when they are it will be VERY clear what they are.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links