Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC? - Page 2

Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

This is a discussion on Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine wasn't. Biggest POS I have every owned...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

Mine wasn't. Biggest POS I have every owned
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

This is my EDC. I have shot 500 rds through it without so much as a bad cough. No stovepiping, slide breaking, etc. it's not hard to control. At 21 ft I can shoot a 2-3" group. And the mag has a finger extension on it and I can get three fingers on the grip, but I have small hands. I wouldn't hesitate to trust it.
    Richard58 likes this.

My PF9 has no problems with the missiles I'v run thru it.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I think the best way to describe a lot of Kel-tec guns is simply inconsistent. Because of that inconsistency it makes me nervous to trust them as a carry gun. There are a lot of them out there that run like Swiss watches. There are also a (higher then I would like to see) percentage that do not.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The one I tried at a range was snappy and had trigger-finger bite. Nothing at all like the LC9, which is about the same size but very comfortable to shoot and reliable.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

mine has been 100%

I did the prescribed fluff and buff treatment after un boxing mine. I have put 100s of rounds through it without a single malfuction. It is an ugly little gun that functions flawlesly.

I dont have experience with the exact model. But in my experience kel tec is worthless for anything but a boat anchor. If money is an issue save up longer. If you choose to use this tool to save your life i hope you the best.

I have shot them and have personally not had a problem while shooting them. But, I will state this. I work a couple days a week at my friends gun shop. And while we don't get a lot of them back we do get one in from time to time for repair. The problem I have had with Keltec is there dealer services and solutions to customer problems. To the point that we stopped carrying their line for the time being.

But, with that being said as a pistol itself I believe that is fully able to serve as a EDC and have a friend that does just that.
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

My PF9 has been 100% in the 2 years I've had it. I would not hesitate to buy another Keltec product if I wanted or needed it. The only complaint I have about mine is I wish they made a stainless steel slide.

I've had three of them ... operative word here being 'had' because they are all gone. Two of them went back to the factory (the last time it took over two months to get it back) and the other one I sold with a caveat to the purchaser about it being finicky. The only small semi auto I'll trust my life to these days is a baby Glock, either the G26 or G27. I happen to own the 9mm version (Gen 4) and my wife has one also (Gen 3). Nothing but good things to say about the Glocks.

Good luck.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Distinguished Member
    Mine was reliable but a pain to shoot so I didn't practice often, which is something one should do when carrying. My wife couldn't stand hers as well so she now has the S&W M&P Shield and I have the S&W M&P40c and we both love them. And we shoot more often now and we do better with our shot placement as well.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

My PF9 was 100% reliable with every hollow point I ever put through it, to include Federal, Speer, Winchester, Hornady, and MagTech. Super reliable and very conceallable. It performed as advertised. The problem was in actually shooting the thing. It literally stung my hand. Not that big of a deal since I never shot it much because it wasn't fun to shoot! I eventually sold it but I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

By the way, the guy I sold it to said it keeps jamming. Hmmm.... Sounds like maybe a limp wristing problem since it was just fine with me. No one likes to admit there may be something wrong in their shooting technique.
    camsdaddy likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    Not that big of a deal since I never shot it much because it wasn't fun to shoot!
    That is a big deal if it is your EDC. You should be shooting it a lot if it is so you KEEP being able to hit what you are trying to hit and not hit what you don't want to hit.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

That's what I like to call "HUMOR."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links