Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC? - Page 3

Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

This is a discussion on Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; as a former gun salesman who sold a number of P-11's: if you get one that works, you're golden. if yours doesn't work properly, send ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

as a former gun salesman who sold a number of P-11's: if you get one that works, you're golden. if yours doesn't work properly, send it back to KelTec. back then (late 90's, early 2000's) their factory service was prompt and mostly good. one gun did have to go back a second time before it was right.

having said that, i don't like them because they FEEL cheap. i spent a bit more and got a Kahr CM-9 (and some folks have had bad experiences with Kahrs, too). mine has been 100% reliable.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    I agree with you, this is referring to what a friend of mine is considering. I myself have an M&P 40c for my EDC. I tried to talk him into getting something higher quality, he's just not wanting to spend the money.
    Have him buy a Hi-Point for starters; it's cheap and they're surprisingly reliable. He can use the dough he saved as a start towards a better handgun. He'll be so embarrassed by the Hi-Point and annoyed with it's shape and balance that he'll save until he can afford better. Then he can sell the Hi-Point to the next guy and use the money to buy a holster or ammo for the new gun. Meanwhile, he's armed.

Have the PF9 in hard chrome is bout 2.5 years old bout 700 threw it flawless .

This one is a stay at home I dont carry this one , its a bit bigger than my Lc9 that i do carry

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Have the PF9 in hard chrome is bout 2.5 years old bout 700 threw it flawless .

This one is a stay at home I dont carry this one , its a bit bigger than my Lc9 that i do carry
    huh? The PF-9 is 12 oz unloaded....not sure how the PF-9 is bigger than the LC9 that weighs quite a bit more.
    I have three flawless PF-9's.....my front pants pocket gun.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Guns and Ammo handgun magazine just did a review on the p-11, PF-9, and the pa 32 I believe it is. The PF 9 tested more accurate than the p 11. What is this it hurts to shoot y'all are talking about? Mine doesn't hurt to shoot it....

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I've owned mine for 2 1/2 years now, I've worn it non-stop and it's been my sole carry gun for 1 1/2 years. I've taken it to the range for practice on pretty much a monthly basis and I am glad to have it on my hip at all times. It's not the firearm for everyone - the trigger is snappy, in that it does transmit some feedback to your finger...that does take some getting used to. It is a small gun, but I've been able to achieve a decent grip (I have large hands) to allow for accurate shots. I've added a Hogue Handall Jr. sleeve and picked up the Kel-tec mag extensions to enhance controllability.

It isn't the firearm for everyone, but it is a great low price-point pistol for my needs. I'll upgrade when I'm able. Until then, the PF-9 will be at my side.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

since the grip is so small, not limp-wristing that heavy recoil is difficult with only two fingers on the grip. He said that whenever he's shot one, he had a real problem with stovepipes. With a gun of that size, a .380 was both of their recommendations.
    Wow! That doesn't even sound like my PF-9. I've never limp-wristed mine; "heavy recoil"??? Sure the gun has significant muzzle flip, but certainly not heavy recoil; I easily fit 2 of my average sized fingers on the grip, 3 if using the extended mag; never had a stove pipe. Last, I certainly recommend stepping down from 9mm to 380 unless circumstances prevented one from carrying something bigger than the 380.

I've had my PF9 for 3 1/2 years. Is is a "joy" to shoot? Of course not. My hands hurt a little after a prolonged shoot, but so what. These types of things are to be expected w/ any 9mm so light and small. Life is full of concessions. If one wants a gun that small, there will be some undesirable traits; if you one doesn't like such traits, get a bigger and heavier gun. Mine has been a pleasure to carry. One of the things I really like about guns sized like the PF9 is flexibility: I can carry it easily IWB or, if wearing appropriate pants, I can carry it in the right front pocket. I did the "fluff and buff" before shooting a single round. It's been utterly reliable except for one time it wouldn't feed a round. As it turned out, that was MY fault as I had let it get dirty. Like a lot of these very small 9mm's the PF9 requires some TLC. I'm happy w/ mine. It will continue to play an active role in my cc rotation.

VIP Member
    Kel Tec has gotten much better over the years. Time was when you got a new KT you knew you'd spend some time making the thing work. Now just about all of them work without any real effort on your part. I have a PF9 that has 640 rounds through it. There were a few issues at first but it has not had one failure since I started on the second box of ammo. I don't know the exact number but I'd guess I had 4-5 failure to feed issues in the first 50 rounds.

My real problem with the KT isn't that they don't work, it is that they wear out. Most people don't shoot as much as I do... but most people aren't LEOs on a tactical team that have range access and all the ammo they want to shoot either. My first PF9 lost accuracy and started to feel as if there was significantly more play between the frame and slide after about 1200 rounds. I don't know how the whole thing would have ended since my wife ended up dumping it overboard in the middle of a lake. But I assume that I'll endure the same thing with this pistol over time. The things just aren't as well made as a higher end gun. For most people that will never matter. Probably more than half of the PF9s sold will never fire more than 150 rounds.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have a P11,I shoot it enough to stay proficient and carry it when my 1911 would be noticeable like at the beach,You shoot a box of ammo through it and It gets uncomfortable,other guns like my XD9 or Sig 229 40 or my 1911's I shoot several hundred rounds every week and web of my hand isn't sore
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

mkh
    No problems with mine. It is not my EDC but serves the role of BUG and those few times when I can't conceal my regular EDC.

Run a few hundred rounds through it to determine if yours is good or not but remember - it is not a range gun and it won't stand up to thousands of rounds.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    IMO Keltec = poor quality....had one of their 9's come apart on me during a day at the range. It belonged to a buddy of mine. He (a LEO) had bought it for his bug. Luckily no one was hurt.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

MY PF9 is reliable (had it for 3yrs), reasonably accurate, and has a decent trigger. I carry it when it's not practical to carry my glock 19. I shoot it in our BUG matches and do well with it, in fact, at the last match, I placed 3rd with it.

I have a hard-chrome version...and it's been flawless through hundreds of rounds.
    It serves a specific purpose and does so well.
    Are there better quality pistols out there? Sure.
    But I'm completely satisfied with mine and carry it frequently.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Mine sure wasn't! I got rid of it and went with an XDS and it has been flawless. 1200 rounds so far with a fail to extract ( my thumb got in the way and I had the slide bite to prove it!) and other then that one it has eaten all of the hollow point defense rounds as well as WWB and Federal Champion rounds it has been fed. Have not tried the steel cased stuff yet, maybe next range trip...

Cheap guns cost a lot in ammo and range visits ...... My gun is a Sig 232, supposedly "Mr Reliable" and it took 200 round before it was jam free. A $300 Kel Tec gets expensive fast. I emailed Kel Tec about a 32 and the response was use $38 a box Win Silvertips.

If you read the old '500 round breakin period' or the gun is ammo sensitive - take a pass.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links