Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

This is a discussion on Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; if it is someone first gun i would say look at something other than the pf9. if you know something about guns and can do ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

if it is someone first gun i would say look at something other than the pf9. if you know something about guns and can do some work on them then i say go for it. it is a 50/50 chance the pf9 will work right out of the box. i got one and it was a bear to make it run. but now it is a 100% gun, that is it will fire five mags as fast as i can pull the trigger and change mags without any problems. after that not so much. but remember, real gun fights are not what you see on tv/movies.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

I carry a PF 9 every day. It is a bit snappy to shoot but it is not a range gun. However it is really light for its size. Guns boil down to personal preference. What I like and/or is working for me may not work for you.

A lot of people that have never owned a PF-9 are offering their opinion. I have owned one for over 3 years and mine will run any kind of ammo I put in it. I did the fluff & buff as soon as I got it. I keep it well lubed and it doesn't miss a beat. Mine is reliable enough that I pocket carry it frequently.

PF9 has punishing recoil imo. also very picky on ammo. Not the best for a first gun. Mine so far has been very good but its more of a quick shoot self defense kind of gun for me. I hit the range more with my Glock. I have 115 gr SGD on it. So far its been 100% no failure
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Got rid of mine... Too many malfunctions, even after being re-worked by KelTec. Didn't matter who shot it. So it went towards an XDS, thast now has over 1000 rounds thru it with one FTE on the first 100 rounds (thumb had slide bite) so i corrected the grip and no other issues since. Hollow Points, FMJ, Winchester, federal, doesn't matter. I am off of the
    Kel Tec bandwagon!

Well... . I'll give you a little different view. I had one that after 100 rounds it seemed fine and good to go. Probably shot another 100 in it after that. Out shooting one day and decided to shoot it...... fired, dropped the mag, fired one round, dropped the mag..... they had done a recall on the mag releases. I got ahold of them and they wanted the gun in to be "fixed" .

When I got the gun 'back', it was an entirely new gun ... except for the barrel, with no explanation. The "new" one..... has shot flawlessly with any ammo I've put in it for over 800-900 rounds. It's a good gun for it's size , etc... in comparison to others in that size range. It's been reliable and I have no issues with the recoil, although some people do... it has no more kick than a CW9 and similar guns, and maybe less..... and costs less.

If you get one and have issues, send it in to Keltec and I have no doubts they will fix it and make it right. Then, break it in with a couple hundred rounds and move onward and forward.

I would recommend it over several other guns that would cost you a lot more $$$.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If thinking of a 9mm for EDC and the only gun I was going to carry I would go with a Ruger SR9C. Comes with a 10 rd mag and a 17 rd mag in the box. 10 is flush fit, 17 has a extension cover in the box. My friends own two Ive shot the heck of both of theirs with various ammos with 0 issues. Sweet shooting guns. Light and easy to conceal unless hes bent on a mouse gun.
    As far as Kel tec ive owned the KT P11 shot the heck out of it and had 0 problems with it.
    The trigger pull takes a bit of getting used too as its very long. Kel tech service is great. When i bought the KT new it would fail to feed once in a while. I called Kel Tech. They said it was the mag and sent me a new one that i had in two days. No problems after that.

I had one shortly after they were introduced. Needless to say, there were some "growing pains". However, it seemed to run fine after the 3rd trip back from KelTec. It is not a pleasant gun to shoot but as has been stated, there are several things that one can do to improve the gun's reliability and shootability. I say go for it, visit the KTOG forum and plan to have a back up in case it goes down.

Re: Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

I was going to get one but saw to many people were hitting the mag release after the first shot. I have bigger hands so thought it would be a problem for me so i picked up an LC9. No problems with it so far.

-Jason

CJM
    Whether or not we're talking about a $280 Keltec, a $199 Hi Point, or a $3500 Wilson Combat custom 1911, each gun needs to be shot to determine if that particular gun is reliable. Keltec and Hi Point have reputations for having very inconsistent quality control, so buying one of either manufacturers guns is always a gamble.

If you're going to look for info about guns on youtube, you can do a lot better than the desert ninja that makes documentary length videos and repeats the word dude every 30 seconds.

PF-9 reliabiity & CC

I own two KT PF-9's. I know some that like them and some who do not. Some have had problems and some have not. Anything mechanical can and will fail at some time. One of mine has been flawless and has digested thousands of rounds (and I don't mean one or two thousand).
    I had extractor problems with one weapon. The other one has been flawless.
    Both have a Crimson sight and extended magazines to 8+ 1. . I do own other 9mm pistols for comparison. For CC I am comfortable with this weapon. I am ex-military also. Is it fun to shoot?. Not really. It has a pretty brisk recoil & it eventually causes your trigger finger to hurt. This is an accurate weapon. I would suggest that you shoot before you buy. For me, it fulfills my purposes.

PF-9 Revisited

+1
    This forum has had a number of discussions about this pistol. It seems to be a gun that people like to hate - especially people who have never owned or shot one. That said, my answer to the original questions is , yes, the gun is reliable enough for edc.

I've owned mine for over six years and have shot it regularly. In my experience, it has digested any and all commercial ammo that I have offered it with no jams or hang-ups. My only problem was one of my creation - it jammed on one of my reloads. The case split, wedged in the chamber and the extractor tore the lip off the case. I literally had to beat the gun open, then drive the case out. That was 5 years and over 2500 rounds ago and even with my reloads, the gun has not jammed since. IMHO, if you keep it clean, keep it wet (not dripping but well oiled) and keep your ammo servicable, it will reward you with a bang, a snappy recoil and a worn trigger finger each time you pull the trigger.

I carry the gun as a back up to my main EDC, put it in the lock box when I have to leave a car at the airport and throw it in any one of many bags, boxes or packs when I want to travel light. It is a regular, albeit cheap and ugly, companion that I'm very comforable risking my life (and loved ones) with. I don't shoot it much except when I'm exercising my carry guns because it's not pleasant to shoot. The trigger pull is about a block and a half, it has a soft break, the recoil is very snappy and the finish isn't all that great. Mine had a molding seam inside the trigger guard that ate my index finger until I took a dremel and 200 grit sanding wheel to it and the trigger. It doesn't break the skin any more but it's still not a fun gun to shoot. I bought it because I wasn't aware of any other sub-one inch width pistols that fired the full-size 9mm at the time. It also had an exposed hammer...sorry Glock and XD folks...though I wish it had second-strike capabilities.

Good luck and be safe.
    [B]"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them" - William Clayton[/B]

VIP Member
    My PF9 is reliable through many rounds. However when the XDS 45 came out I got one of those. It's my new tool for carry.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I owned and carried one for a brief period but felt that it was not of sufficient quality to last over too many rounds. If you get a good one out of the box and do not shoot it much, it will do. However if you shoot it regularly I would be wary of it. Plus it was no fun to shoot but George Zimmerman did OK with his and the money he saved by buying a cheaper gun is helping to pay for his legal bills.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

My wife carries a PF9 and alternates it with her G26 depending on her attire or purse. I dont like it but I have shot it, it is too small for my hands but I have hit steel targets with it from as far a hundred yards away and neither my wife nor I in the 500+ rounds we've put through it have had a FTF.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links