Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

This is a discussion on Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello there everyone, First off let me start off by giving my condolences to the family's who've lost loved ones in yesterdays tragic events. Not ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

Is the Kel Tec PF-9 reliable enough for EDC?

Hello there everyone,
    First off let me start off by giving my condolences to the family's who've lost loved ones in yesterdays tragic events. Not only in CT but in China as well. Lets pray for these families, and can't even begin to imagine losing one of my Children to such senseless acts of violence.

So my friend is looking to get a Kel Tec PF-9 for his concealed carry, just wondering what you guys and gals have to say about it be it good or bad. Is it reliable, do you enjoy shooting it, would you recommended it or not?

Thanks for your input

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Hello there everyone,
    First off let me start off by giving my condolences to the family's who've lost loved ones in yesterdays tragic events. Not only in CT but in China as well. Lets pray for these families, and can't even begin to imagine losing one of my Children to such senseless acts of violence.

So my friend is looking to get a Kel Tec PF-9 for his concealed carry, just wondering what you guys and gals have to say about it be it good or bad. Is it reliable, do you enjoy shooting it, would you recommended it or not?

Thanks for your input
    The only good thing I can say about the one I bought is that I'm only out $300 on it. Worst POS I have ever owned.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I don't own one or never shot one but from what I heard from a couple of local gun shop owners is you don't want one. The first owner said that he's seen a number of then he's sold come back with broken slides. (wasn't specific about what the problem exactly was). The other owner said that a 9mm in such a small package will be hard to control and since the grip is so small, not limp-wristing that heavy recoil is difficult with only two fingers on the grip. He said that whenever he's shot one, he had a real problem with stovepipes. With a gun of that size, a .380 was both of their recommendations.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Most are reliable. Some are not. Yes I would carry one without hesitation once it passed muster.

VIP Member
    I have a Kel Tec P11 that has never, in 4-500 rounds had a problem.
    It is not the easiest to shoot, but it serves my purpose of cheap/small/won't miss it if its taken, while in my locked car at work.

It is, by far not my only handgun.
    If this is to be HIS only handgun I would rather see him buy a used S&W or Glock from Gunbroker, or CDNN.

page 15 of this catalog will get your buddy a nice 6906 for a bit over $360.
    And on page 16, he will find a Glock for under $400.
    $150 more than the Kel Tec he is thinking of.

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.
    Last edited by oneshot; December 15th, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
    blitzburgh and kmagnuss like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    I don't own one or never shot one but from what I heard from a couple of local gun shop owners is you don't want one. The first owner said that he's seen a number of then he's sold come back with broken slides. (wasn't specific about what the problem exactly was). The other owner said that a 9mm in such a small package will be hard to control and since the grip is so small, not limp-wristing that heavy recoil is difficult with only two fingers on the grip. He said that whenever he's shot one, he had a real problem with stovepipes. With a gun of that size, a .380 was both of their recommendations.

Mine shoots just fine. No problems at all. No limp wristing and not difficult to control. My 17 year old son can put 5 shots within 2 inches from 21 feet.
    IMO, it is a bargain thus far.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Mine has been very reliable. I've not one problem out f it since owning it and used to EDC it regularly, still do when I feel the need. Keltec offers sound handguns at a good price. Allot will bad mouth them but in my experience , mine has been a very good buy.

Carried one for awhile, after it had proved itself reliable enough. Ceased doing so the moment it began having some issues with failures to cycle cleanly (FTF, FTE). Haven't carried it since.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

NMB
    Mine was not, yours? Who knows?

I have a Kahr CM9, its been 100% so far, but others have claimed issues. If you are already unsure, I wouldnt carry one.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

guitarzNgunz .................

Do yourself a favor and first ask yourself, self..........how much is my life and that of my loved ones worth?

Then save up an extra few bucks and get a S&W/M&P 9mm Shield. And practice, practice, & practice somemore!

No man-made mechanical device is 101% reliable but the little bit ah extra monies spent on a Shield will be monies better spent; then on a Fail-Tec anything.

That's my story and I'm stikin too it!! Though YMMV

I have two pf 9s and they both work very well, I put 500 rnds of russian steel case thru one of em in an afternoon with no trouble.
    Also have a p11 wihch I do not like as well, it has not failed at any time but the trigger is horrible, I put the northwoods trigger in all of them and that really helps the p11.

John

I have owned 2 and both were great guns. I actually sold a Kahr PM9 to get one. Give it a fluff and buff and put a few hundred rounds through it to break it in and then feel confident it will do its job. I have owned a total of 6 Kel-Tec Pistols and I only had a problem with one. The slide had some peening around the guide rod hole. KT replaced the slide and it was good to go from then on.

Kel-Tec PF-9: "Daily Carry Handgun" Pt 1 by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Kel-Tec PF-9: "Daily Carry Handgun" Pt 2 by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Enjoy these videos from a guy who loves his and has shot a LOT of pistols.

Kel-tecs seem to be hit and miss. Some have problems and some run great. My p-32 has been good from the get go. But if I wanted a gun for edc. For not much more $$$ I would look at the bersa bp9cc. There new slim single stack 9mm. I do know first hand ther customer service is top notch.

Certainly, but I did not like the looooooong trigger pull.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    guitarzNgunz .................

Do yourself a favor and first ask yourself, self..........how much is my life and that of my loved ones worth?

Then save up an extra few bucks and get a S&W/M&P 9mm Shield. And practice, practice, & practice somemore!

No man-made mechanical device is 101% reliable but the little bit ah extra monies spent on a Shield will be monies better spent; then on a Fail-Tec anything.

That's my story and I'm stikin too it!! Though YMMV
    I agree with you, this is referring to what a friend of mine is considering. I myself have an M&P 40c for my EDC. I tried to talk him into getting something higher quality, he's just not wanting to spend the money.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links