Colt Defender or Springfield micro-compact

This is a discussion on Colt Defender or Springfield micro-compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. New to the forum. Was wanting to get some input on your thoughts of the colt defender or micro-compact. I've read a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Colt Defender or Springfield micro-compact

Colt Defender or Springfield micro-compact

Hello everyone.
    New to the forum.
    Was wanting to get some input on your thoughts of the colt defender or micro-compact. I've read a lot of good things about the defender, but havent found much on the micro. I'm wanting a smaller option to carry at times. Really like the EMP but i would prefer to just stick with .45 cal.

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately my experience with the Colt Defender has been very poor. It consistently ejects casings back to my head and on more than one occasion causing cuts and blood to flow. I sent it back to Colt with no success whatsoever, I do not recommend the gun.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Colt Defender

In contrast to the previous poster, I've had good luck with my Colt Defender, which I bought about 5 years ago. At this point I've fired about 1000 rounds through it without any failures or problems. The gun is very accurate and has an excellent trigger. It conceals easily because of its thin profile and short grip and barrel. The Colt brand has always been good for me, and I have 6 Colt 1911s and 2 Colt revolvers that work well.

Regarding the complaint above that a Defender threw empty casings at the shooter's head, this could be evidence of a worn recoil spring that needs replacing. Over time the Defender recoil spring will lose stiffness and should be replaced every 500 rounds or so. I have replaced mine once and have another new one ready to install in the future. They don't cost much.

When I got my Defender I noticed that the edges on the steel slide were rather sharp, causing some hand discomfort when handling the gun. I had a gunsmith dehorn the slide, rounding the sharp edges. I wish Colt would take care of that in the factory.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by goober45 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    New to the forum.
    Was wanting to get some input on your thoughts of the colt defender or micro-compact. I've read a lot of good things about the defender, but havent found much on the micro. I'm wanting a smaller option to carry at times. Really like the EMP but i would prefer to just stick with .45 cal.
    Can you believe I once owned a Colt Defender 45 acp and guess what...??......I sold it..!! I have regretted it ever since.....go with the Colt

VIP Member
    I have no experience with the Colt Defender but I have carried and used a Springfield Micro-Compact for more than 7 years. It has been a reliable handgun as long as I stick with Winchester 230gr Personal Defense JHP for carry. None of the +P or 180gr JHP loads I have tried have been very reliable but when using FMJ rounds I have not had any problems with any brand. At the range it does need a drop or two of oil about every 100 rounds to insure reliability.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Neither. I am with Rob Pincus on this. For self defense firearms, the best type of pistol is a striker fired DAO. The 1911 style of pistols are just too prone to malfunction in what could be a life threatening situation. I love 1911s for range and competition, but not when my life is on the line.

I have owned a Colt Defender for many years, it is a super gun that does not miss a lick. It is a good basic 1911 that is easy to field strip and clean. Excellent firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    Neither. I am with Rob Pincus on this. For self defense firearms, the best type of pistol is a striker fired DAO. The 1911 style of pistols are just too prone to malfunction in what could be a life threatening situation. I love 1911s for range and competition, but not when my life is on the line.
    I appreciate you opion, I have A M&P40C AND 9C. I like them very much and carry them often, but I just like 1911's. I have couple of them that I carry also. They have been reliable 100%. But they are full size and I was looking to get a smaller one.I believe it's like Ford verses Chevy's there will always be 2 opions. I have seen striker fired pistols have problems just as 1911's. I have wepons that I trust 100% and a few that I would never trust. Since I was looking for a smaller sized .45 to carry at times, the defender and micro were just 2 I was looking at right now, which ever I choose to buy would be shot on a regular basis, to ensure there are no problems. I like to get around 1000 rds with out any problems before I carry. So whether it be striker fired or 1911 I at least feel cofortable carring it.. But thanks for your opion

Thanks for your input

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have to say that the micro-compact Springfield, it's pic is in my avatar, is one of my favorite carry weapons. Small and with a lot of punch, and it has never one time failed to fire on me.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I was more impressed with the Kimber over both the colt and the springer
    Rhcmlc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    I was more impressed with the Kimber over both the colt and the springer
    Already have 3 Kimbers, custom, ultra, and solo.

I bought a New Agent (Defender with trench sights) four years ago and have to say it's been a great pistol by any measure.

Accurate, good ergonomics and reliable with the fmj/jhp ammo I've fed it.

While you're shopping take time to check one out OP. Good luck.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    I bought a New Agent (Defender with trench sights) four years ago and have to say it's been a great pistol by any measure.

Accurate, good ergonomics and reliable with the fmj/jhp ammo I've fed it.

While you're shopping take time to check one out OP. Good luck.

I'm not to sure how I would like not having sights, as for not snagging great but for finding target not real sure

I just sent a recently purchased micro into Springfield for some work.

Flare and lower the ejection port.
    Complete extreme melt frame and slide.
    Checker the front of the grip frame.
    Black Teflon finish
    Smooth and debur the internals.
    Beaver style grip safety.
    Cocking serration front and rear of the slide.
    Extended extractor.
    Skeletized hammer.

Some other enhancements but I cannot remember them all.

I will say the most reliable is a revolver?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links