Gen 4 G19?

This is a discussion on Gen 4 G19? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have numerous Glocks in nearly every caliber. I have Gen 2's and Gen 3's. I've had the itch for a while now to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Gen 4 G19?

Gen 4 G19?

I have numerous Glocks in nearly every caliber. I have Gen 2's and Gen 3's. I've had the itch for a while now to get a Gen 4. Do I scratch?

I don't really need it, but I want it. I have a Gen 2 G19 and a Gen 3 G26 that fill most of my off-duty carry roles. If I get the Gen 4 G19 it'll probably take the place of the Gen 2 in that off-duty carry role. I believe that the grip on the Gen 4's is not as rough as the RTF's. Will the grips chew up my t-shirts?

General opinions welcome.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

i have a gen 4 27 and love it.. at first i didn't like to carry it because of the thickness (compared to single stack kahrs and such). but now with the crazy world we live in i welcome the extra rounds. The grip is usually on my bare skin and it doesn't bother me too much. The rtf's grip was a different story! I say go for it!

Thanks for your reply bonjorno2. Where the heck did all the Gen 4 Glock owners go?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get what you want, but if you're satified with your other Gen 9mms, I don't see what adding a Gen 4 is going to do except fill a slot in a "collection."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I carry a Gen 4 G19 every day and I can't say that it has chewed up anything other than the tons of ammo I've run through it.

So basically I say, yeah scratch away!
    68blackbird likes this.

Glock 19 gen 4 = goodness!
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

VIP Member
    I love my G19 Gen 4! I now have only Gen 4's these days as I prefer them.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The grip on the Gen 4's is definitely more aggressive than the Gen 3's, but that is how I like it.

AOK
    I've owned a G19 gen 4 for about two months now. I've ran 1,100 rounds through her so far and it has fed everything. I have classes lined up the next few months so I'm eager to see how it is when I run it hard for a few days.

I like the gen 4 grip a lot better than the gen 3's (own two 23's). I have never been a fan of the grips on Gen 3's so I had to stipple them. Not needed on the Gen 4.

I carry this gun all day every day and my shirts have show no signs of wear and tear.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna make the plunge tomorrow. Some of my research has revealed erratic ejecting of the casings. Is that something in the older Gen 4's?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    It's one of those things where they had some issues in the first release. Glock addressed the problem with new ejectors. I personally feel it was way over played but obviously some people did have problems. As far as my personal experience, I get maybe 1 out of every 200 rounds with some sort of odd ejection trajectory. I've had them fly over my left shoulder, over my head, and had one or two hit my ball cap. I don't think I've ever taken one to the forehead or face area but I can't say what causes it. Given the very low number, I don't really give it much thought.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna make the plunge tomorrow. Some of my research has revealed erratic ejecting of the casings. Is that something in the older Gen 4's?
    I notice getting hit by a casing once or twice every 100 rounds or so. I said notice because it could possibly be higher. When I'm moving around, shooting from retention, etc I really have no recollection which direction my casings are ejecting. With that said, I put another 150 rounds through her today to bring the total to 1,250 rounds and every single one has ejected and has not had any type of malfunction.
    68blackbird likes this.

I picked her up today. Now I just got to get to the range!
    TX expat likes this.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I picked her up today. Now I just got to get to the range!
    Congrats! Let us know how your experience went on your first trip!
    NY27 likes this.

Well, it's raining here in NY this morning. However, I really need to function test and break in this new Gen4 G19. So, I'll be shooting in the rain. It's not fun, but we never can predict the weather for a gunfight now can we?

The guys on my job cry about this all the time. Usually our spring quals end up w/ a day or two of rain. I've shot in all types of weather, knee deep snow (thank God it was just dumping brass from the cylinder and not mags), heavy rain, heavy wind and brutal heat.

Just gotta do it!
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links