Kel-tec 3at with out safety's

This is a discussion on Kel-tec 3at with out safety's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had posted about getting a bersa or a Kel-tec 3at. Well i think i will get both, Bersa for the wife and Kel-tec for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-tec 3at with out safety's

Kel-tec 3at with out safety's

I had posted about getting a bersa or a Kel-tec 3at. Well i think i will get both, Bersa for the wife and Kel-tec for me. But would like to know how people feel about carry the kel-tec with out any real safety's on it. My other guns have some kind of safety's on them and i don't know how safe the kel-tec would be in my pocket. I would like any feed back you guys can give.
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

2. Remove Ads

no problem

they're fine. I carry mine in my pocket. The trigger pull is loooong there is no way it will "just go off". Great little guns.
    -Biker

Sitting your pocket isn't a problem, so long (of course) that it's sitting inside of a quality holster that covers the trigger/guard area. The real issue with any semi-auto pistol is while re-holstering. During that time, ensuring you keep your finger where it should be and keep the thumb against the rear of the slide goes a long way toward safety ... again, as with any pistol. Other than those basic caveats that apply to any other semi-auto, I feel it's as safe as any other DAO that doesn't have active safeties.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The Kel-Tec P3AT has a trigger safety system similiar to a Glock. There is a hammer block safety that disingages with a firm pull back on the trigger.

Just because it does not have an external manual safety does not make it any less safe. A gun with the hammer block type of safety just needs to be carried in a holster that totally covers the trigger and trigger guard area. If carried in a front or back pocket, the same rule applies, just get a holster that does this. There are lots of good pocket holsters, the DeSantis Nemasis comes to mind.

Here is Kel-Tec's page on the P3AT and a good explanation on the hammer block safety system:

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at.html

No pull trigger, no go boom... and the KelTec has a looong trigger pull. Beyond the risk of a ND, carrying a pistol in your pocket without a holster means the gun will turn upside down and be inaccessible and will fill with lints and crap...

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT..I carry it as a BUG all the time. I have a Kramer holster (BTW), a Holdster, and a Comp-tac Centerline for it.
    I also carry Glocks (no external safety). Just remember: The "real" safety is between your ears!
    Texas DPS CHL Instructor

Is there such a thing as having too many Glocks???

"You may all go to Hell; And I will go to Texas!" Davy Crockett-1836

Administrator

It's Fine

DO NOT (as in never) put anything else in that pocket and then you can just safely pocket the firearm. Don't put your keys in there...or a mini flashlit...or spare change in there.

Just put only the firearm in whatever pocket you desire & you'll be fine.

NOTE: You SHOULD delint your pocket interior before you put any Pocket Gun into your pocket.
    Turn the pocket inside out and use a lint roller.

Note also that without a pocket holster your pockets will wear quicker unless your firearm is dehorned AKA no sharp edges.

The P3-AT is so light that it really does not cause pocket wear.

The last rule is NEVER fiddle with any pocket gun that is in yer pocket. Leave it alone!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

As others have said, get a good pocket holster. I have one that looks like a wallet, covers the trigger and still allows a full grip. It's a great option for a BUG if you take the proper care.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

External safties are a nuisance on a handgun carried as a CCW. I carry mine in a Nemasis with one in the chamber and feel totally confident.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

gman10111951, what do you think of that Comp-tac Centerline? I have a Comp-tac holster for my G27 and really like their gear. I looked at the Centerline for my P3AT but just didn't know how it would feel.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

i'm with everyone else. loooong double action trigger pull. No worries just keep it in a holster. I worry less about that going off than my XD with a backstrap and trigger safety.

I carry a P3AT a lot and feel very comfortable with a full mag and one in the chamber while in the pocket holster. It covers the trigger and you definitely have to take the gun out of the holster to pull the trigger. I use a Jagwear holster and it works fine for me.

Alright, that does it. Just ordered a DeSantis Nemesis holster. It will replace a DeSantis Sting, which is pretty awful at holding the P3AT in place. If this one doesn't do it, it's back to the Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

don't need a safety on the p3at. keep your fringer off the trigger untill you are read to fire. the p3at has a long trigger pull so about the only way it will fire is that you pull the trigger. get a good pocket holster and the belt clip. i carry my p3at 50% belt clip and 50% pocket holster (uncle mikes small auto size zero).

am I the only one that carries in IWB? I have enough crap in my pockets without a gun in there. I use a high noon the answer. Left hand (a.k.a. better hand) version

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links